Author Topic: How to upload your CelticsBlog avatar  (Read 8785 times)

How to upload your CelticsBlog avatar
« on: October 06, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A couple people have PM'd me asking how i got my CelticsBlog avatar back.   I'm not sure when this feature broke/changed, but I noticed tons of people no longer had avatars.  I was unsuccessful in uploading a new image.   I was unsuccessful with linking to a new image.   My guess is it has something to do with a new size/dimension requirement? 

Anyways, here's what I did.

#1 - Found an image I liked

#2 - Re-sized it so that it was 65x65.  The forum lets you select pre-defined images of actors and I noticed those images were 65x65.  I noticed one person (Gainsville Celtic) had a 80x79 image so maybe 65x65 isn't a requirement.  I just know it worked for me.   I did this in photoshop by making a 65 pixel by 65 pixel composition and then adjusting my image to fit in it.  I saved it as a .jpg.   

#3 - Uploaded the image to imgur.com and got a link to the .jpg.  I imagine any image-storage site would work fine.  I tried uploading the image directly in avatar settings, but it was giving me an error.  So I uploaded the image to imgur.com instead.

#4 - In profile settings I selected, "Specify avatar by URL" and plugged in the imgur link to my jpg.   See here:

If that works for you, good.   Not sure what changed in the feature, but that's the only way I could get it to work.  Figured I'd pass that along.

Re: How to upload your CelticsBlog avatar
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
TP  ;D

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Appreciated, though still figuring out my avatar currently.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Sideshow Raheem is back where he belongs.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 05:10:29 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Appreciated, though still figuring out my avatar currently.
If you have an image you need re-sized, just PM me and maybe I can help you.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
tp...kinda tired of being God over here

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
tp...kinda tired of being God over here

That isn't God, it's ironic.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Okay, it's official - I have no idea how to upload a new avatar.

At first, I tried it on my own - downloading pictures to my computer and then trying to upload from a url. Neither worked and then I looked into this topic. I created a jpg image 65x65, uploaded it to imgur.com, and tried linking it to my profile by url and still nothing.

It's not a humongous deal, but a lot of people around here lost their avatars last year and it's a bummer that it is so dang hard to figure out. I thought it was strange seeing images like Alanis Morissette and Britney as people's avatars, but then I figured out that they were in the stock photos - guess those people got frustrated with the process, too, and just went with whatever.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:24:43 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 11:58:57 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I've tried many times. it never works. i've given up.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I am sticking with Britney !

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
I am sticking with Britney !

TP - it always makes me laugh. I wouldn't change it if I were you  :D

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Oh man, it's good to have Snidely Whiplash back again!  TP LarBrd

At first, I tried it on my own - downloading pictures to my computer and then trying to upload from a url. Neither worked and then I looked into this topic. I created a jpg image 65x65, uploaded it to imagur.com, and tried linking it to my profile by url and still nothing.

It's not a humongous deal, but a lot of people around here lost their avatars last year and it's a bummer that it is so dang hard to figure out. I thought it was strange seeing images like Alanis Morissette and **** as people's avatars, but then I figured out that they were in the stock photos - guess those people got frustrated with the process, too, and just went with whatever.

Once it's hosted on imgur, try right clicking it and selecting "Get image url", it worked for me
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
worked perfectly, now i have calvin back!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 06:22:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey

At first, I tried it on my own - downloading pictures to my computer and then trying to upload from a url. Neither worked and then I looked into this topic. I created a jpg image 65x65, uploaded it to imgur.com, and tried linking it to my profile by url and still nothing.

It's not a humongous deal, but a lot of people around here lost their avatars last year and it's a bummer that it is so dang hard to figure out. I thought it was strange seeing images like Alanis Morissette and Britney as people's avatars, but then I figured out that they were in the stock photos - guess those people got frustrated with the process, too, and just went with whatever.

Once it's hosted on imgur, try right clicking it and selecting "Get image url", it worked for me

TP - the right click was the key part! If you just copy and paste what is in the address bar, it doesn't work; you actually need to get it directly from the image.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

TP - the right click was the key part! If you just copy and paste what is in the address bar, it doesn't work; you actually need to get it directly from the image.

I too was trying for so long to get it to work then some how i got this giant bias image to work which i think is impossible given the size guidelines so i am not going to tempt fate and try and replace it even though it looks a bit out of place lol.