Author Topic: What type of trades are Ideal for Brooklyn going forward  (Read 3116 times)

Re: What type of trades are Ideal for Brooklyn going forward
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I would be in the market for weirdo analytics darlings (should have been bidding on Zaza this off-season), whatever picks I can get of course, rights to overseas prospects (Cedi Osman?), and young post-prospects (Thomas Robinson was a great place to start. Do scoop up PJ3 when the Celtics cut him).

But there's not that much they can do.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Lopez played 72 games last year.  He's a top-level big.   Johnson is still effective.  I still think that team can win about 35-40 games this year.

That's my Point. Why win 36 games fit the fans? They can take on bad contact back until 2018 so long as they can get assets back.

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 09:51:52 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
It's hard to believe that the Nets would assault their limited fan base with an early season selloff until they determine whether they are a playoff contender or whether they can become one with some roster additions, especially since we have their pick. Even at the trade deadline they are as likely to be buyers as sellers unless their situation is a dumpster fire.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 10:09:30 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Anything that nets (no pun intended) them young talent and draft capital. They need high upside guys: RHJ and McCullough are a good start.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 10:13:33 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Lopez played 72 games last year.  He's a top-level big.   Johnson is still effective.  I still think that team can win about 35-40 games this year.

And he played a combined 22 in 2 of the 3 years prior to that. Let's not pretend that Brook Lopez is a healthy player.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:19:19 PM by max215 »

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 10:31:12 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Trading Joe Johnson is nearly impossible.  What contender has ~$20 million in expendable contracts to make such a trade? 

In addition, Lopez and Young won't bring back blue chip assets.  The Nets are better off holding on to those guys than investing in development and hoping the returned picks are as good as Lopez and Young. 

For better or worse (really for worse) the Nets have painted themselves in a corner and only left free agency as a viable rebuilding strategy for the next three years.  It would be nonsensical for them to follow any other course.  Unless blown away by an offer, they will not sell off Lopez and Young.

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Fun fact: Brook Lopez busted his right foot on the eve of winter solstice in 2011 and 2013.

Make of that what you will.

Unrelated: Brooklyn plays Chicago on the eve of winter solstice 2015.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Fun fact: Brook Lopez busted his right foot on the eve of winter solstice in 2011 and 2013.

TP, thank you for this, gave me a good chuckle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He's going to step on Rose's knee, isn't he?    :-\

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Plan A should be to position themselves to make a splash in free agency in 2016 and hope that the Knicks look more incompetent to players who want to play in New York City.  Keep every player who has the potential to be an attractive teammate for a possible free agent.  Try to flip anyone else for assets.  If it looks like Brooklyn is going to be a place no one wants to be, then hold a fire sale and be ready to dump any player who can bring back some value.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

If your running the Nets right now what do you want for Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson, Jarret Jack, Thad Young.

If it's me, I suck it up and start preparing for the future with Young players and draft picks. It makes little sense to try to maintain our get better just out of spite.
 I'll unload Lopez for two firsts and a good young player, Joe Johnson I'll take a late first and a prospect. Anyone on my roster would become available for picks and prospects.

Agreed.

I know that Brooklyn (with all of their financial investment) doesn't want to do the whoel rebuild thing, but right now it seems to be about the only option for them worth taking.

None of their key players (Lopez, Young, Johnson) have enough trade value to bring back a legitimate star player who can propel them to being a competitive playoff team, nor do they have the cap space or draft picks to add quality players via FA or the draft. 

Really the only plan that makes any sense for Brooklyn is to trade away Lopez and Johnson and hope to get high-upside prospects (guys like Harrison Barnes, Victor Oladipo, Dante Exum, Aaron Gordon, Noah Vonleh) and then pray that one or two or those guys breaks out. 

They should probably look to teams like the Lakers and Knicks - teams who are building with youth, but who want to get back to relevance ASAP - and see if they can use Lopez a bait to bring in future lottery picks or a top prospect like Randle.

Maybe they should try to shop Lopez to the 76ers.  He's still pretty young and the Sixers seem to have a thing for young big men who are either one dimensional (Noel, Okafor) or chronically injured (Embiid).  Lopez is both, so They should be all over him haha