Author Topic: What type of trades are Ideal for Brooklyn going forward  (Read 3122 times)

What type of trades are Ideal for Brooklyn going forward
« on: October 06, 2015, 01:51:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If your running the Nets right now what do you want for Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson, Jarret Jack, Thad Young.

If it's me, I suck it up and start preparing for the future with Young players and draft picks. It makes little sense to try to maintain our get better just out of spite.
 I'll unload Lopez for two firsts and a good young player, Joe Johnson I'll take a late first and a prospect. Anyone on my roster would become available for picks and prospects.

Re: What type of trades are Ideal for Brooklyn going forward
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I mean sounds pretty spot on from a decent minded prospective. Now  for Billy King... I think they don't move anyone unless a team makes a offer they cant refuse. I think their not ready to jump straight in the rebuild just yet. So many things can happen from now until the end of the season. A injury to another team may help their future as well. Soo many contingencies

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

If your running the Nets right now what do you want for Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson, Jarret Jack, Thad Young.

If it's me, I suck it up and start preparing for the future with Young players and draft picks. It makes little sense to try to maintain our get better just out of spite.
 I'll unload Lopez for two firsts and a good young player, Joe Johnson I'll take a late first and a prospect. Anyone on my roster would become available for picks and prospects.
this concept of moving their vets for youth/picks is what I've been proposing in several other threads.

I don't think Lopez will get more than a decent first and a good prospect based on his health track record.  Would probably have to swallow a bad contract to match salaries.

JJ - I believe he's an expiring deal but it's a huge salary match issue.  Nets would most likely have to take on a deadweight contract or 2 just for matching purposes.  might get a late first and middling prospect.

Young - probably get a decent prospect with moderate upside.  someone who's 2 years away from being at Young's level.  Maybe a very late first.

Jack - Second rounder is probably the most they'd get.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Nets will probably be patient, and survey the scene come trade deadline.  If P Pierce is really contributing in LA and goes down in early Feb, maybe Doc would give up a late 1st rd for Joe Johnson to make a playoff push.  Of course the risk with waiting on Brook is he could get injured  between now and Feb.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If I'm the Nets I go forward with Brook and Thad Young.  They don't have much committed long term other than those two guys, and that's an effective and productive pairing when healthy.  They are both still in their prime.

My goal for the team this year would be to avoid any major injuries and sort of lay a blueprint for the future.  Do what you can with Jarrett Jack, Bojan Bogdanovich, and Joe Johnson, and then look to upgrade those starting spots next summer when the cap jumps way up.

I'd try to see if any of the younger, cheaper guys on my bench could play a role off the bench moving forward.  Hollis-Jefferson, Sergey Karasev, Shane Larkin, Thomas Robinson -- can they help a playoff team win games?

They could have a modest but solid free agency period next summer, signing Brandon Jennings, Eric Gordon, and Demar Derozan.  Fill out the bench with role players, and that'll be a respectable, mediocre borderline playoff team again, with the chance to do more.

So long as they're willing to spend money, Thad Young and Brook Lopez is a fine enough starting point if they have cap space.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:47:26 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
From a Celtics perspective, any trades in which Brooklyn loses the deal is the trade they should make.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
If I'm the Nets I go forward with Brook and Thad Young.  They don't have much committed long term other than those two guys, and that's an effective and productive pairing when healthy.  They are both still in their prime.

My goal for the team this year would be to avoid any major injuries and sort of lay a blueprint for the future.  Do what you can with Jarrett Jack, Bojan Bogdanovich, and Joe Johnson, and then look to upgrade those starting spots next summer when the cap jumps way up.

I'd try to see if any of the younger, cheaper guys on my bench could play a role off the bench moving forward.  Hollis-Jefferson, Sergey Karasev, Shane Larkin, Thomas Robinson -- can they help a playoff team win games?

They could have a modest but solid free agency period next summer, signing Brandon Jennings, Eric Gordon, and Demar Derozan.  Fill out the bench with role players, and that'll be a respectable, mediocre borderline playoff team again, with the chance to do more.

So long as they're willing to spend money, Thad Young and Brook Lopez is a fine enough starting point if they have cap space.
I agree with you on this.  I think Brook and Thad are probably more valuable as players on the Nets vs. trade chips to return future value.  They are the building blocks the team will proceed with, and they look to youth/free agency to fill in the rest.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Brook Lopez is not a building block, he's been falling apart. Dump him as soon as a good offer comes along. Thad Young is a stop gap player not a building block. They are in a tough spot no doubt, if no one big signs with them in the coming years of will be a really long rebuild from the Boston fleecing.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 05:33:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Brook Lopez is not a building block, he's been falling apart. Dump him as soon as a good offer comes along. Thad Young is a stop gap player not a building block. They are in a tough spot no doubt, if no one big signs with them in the coming years of will be a really long rebuild from the Boston fleecing.

I can at least see how the argument can be made that Lopez is a building block. IF he can stay healthy he is one of the best inside scorers in the game (if not the best), can shoot free throws and his rebounding approaches average if he is motivated. Now lopez on the other hand being called a building block is pretty laughable. He is a solid starter, but no very very far from something you build a team around.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 07:01:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lopez played 72 games last year.  He's a top-level big.   Johnson is still effective.  I still think that team can win about 35-40 games this year.   

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No point in rebuilding without owning your own picks.

Need to target defensive quickness on the perimeter (JJ, Jack, Lopez all slow players) + replace Deron Williams at PG with someone who can provide some playmaking and dribble penetration + bring in a quality backup C to keep B.Lopez' minutes controlled without wrecking your team (Bargnani!).

Those would be my priorities.

Brooklyn don't need stars to get themselves back in the playoffs. Just support players who fit the needs of the team. They could have done that this off-season if they didn't go on a cost-cutting spree and wreck their team with numerous bad decisions.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
No point in rebuilding without owning your own picks.

Need to target defensive quickness on the perimeter (JJ, Jack, Lopez all slow players) + replace Deron Williams at PG with someone who can provide some playmaking and dribble penetration + bring in a quality backup C to keep B.Lopez' minutes controlled without wrecking your team (Bargnani!).

Those would be my priorities.

Brooklyn don't need stars to get themselves back in the playoffs. Just support players who fit the needs of the team. They could have done that this off-season if they didn't go on a cost-cutting spree and wreck their team with numerous bad decisions.

To them, I don't think it was really bad decisions.

Williams wanted out of there anyways, and he (not JJ) was tied up with them for two more years. His presence and cap number were going to impede their hunt of FA's in 2016, so even though it hurts them in the short term (this season) it helps them in the long run more than a couple more wins that still probably won't put them in the playoffs.

I've never subscribed to the notion that the Nets are gonna try giving us the worst pick possible by squeezing out every last drop of mediocrity with a series of bad, short-sighted moves (or turning down good, long-sighted moves that net them young prospects with potential or get them back in the draft) Brooklyn views the draft picks they owe us as a sunk cost, one that's going to come our way regardless of what they do. Seems they think that Thad Young and Lopez isn't a good enough foundation to even inch through the next 3 years with without a good amount of help, the prospect of attracting a couple mid-major FA's in a risky one and they absolutely have to get back in the 1st round of the draft (Preferably, the top half of it) sooner than 2018.

If someone offers them a 1st rounder for Joe Johnson, I think they jump. A couple 2nds could certainly get you Jack if they can get a young, half-way promising PG from somewhere. With Young and Lopez, it would take a little more than just a 1st, probably at least a decent 3/4 prospect and a pick for Young and at least a package of picks and prospects for Lopez. I think we could certainly get one of those guys if we want to. If we offered them their 2016 pick back, plus maybe Rozier and a early 2nd, I think they'd seriously consider moving Lopez for that. Point being, they're gonna BOLO for trade opportunities that give them future draft assets/young prospects/flexibility. It may take a pretty decent deal to get Lopez or Young, but anyone else is certainly on the table if you have future assets it would seem.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 07:58:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Trades that somehow fit guys on expiring or short-term deals into their handful of trade exceptions to provide some roster depth/flexibility.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Nets will probably be patient, and survey the scene come trade deadline.  If P Pierce is really contributing in LA and goes down in early Feb, maybe Doc would give up a late 1st rd for Joe Johnson to make a playoff push.  Of course the risk with waiting on Brook is he could get injured  between now and Feb.

Not enough room to make way for JJ salary don't think..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 08:31:04 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Young players with high reward potential and justifiable cost?

No use cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Here's where "mediocrity hurts" holds true - when you have no future.