Author Topic: Sully and Turner to Hornets for Cody Zeller and Troy Daniels (cut immediately)  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Maybe we keep Troy Daniels to give him a look and let he and Perry battle it out for our last spot.  He seems to have a nice outside shot!!

As far as ball handlers, even if we traded AB and cut Daniels we would still have IT, Smart, Rozier, and Hunter as ball handlers.

Smitty77

Sure... Smart, Rozier and Hunter have never proved to be any good at handling the ball in an NBA game. Maybe we should give it some time before calling them ball handlers.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I hate Sullinger.

And I still wouldn't make this trade.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Not a big fan of this particular one, but Sullinger + Turner + pick(s) should definitely be out there. Perhaps for a dynamic wing player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Maybe we keep Troy Daniels to give him a look and let he and Perry battle it out for our last spot.  He seems to have a nice outside shot!!

As far as ball handlers, even if we traded AB and cut Daniels we would still have IT, Smart, Rozier, and Hunter as ball handlers.

Smitty77

Sure... Smart, Rozier and Hunter have never proved to be any good at handling the ball in an NBA game. Maybe we should give it some time before calling them ball handlers.

I do believe that Smart played in the NBA last year and averaged 27 minutes per game and 3.1 assists to only 1.3 turnovers.  Did you watch any of the Summer League games?  Not the regular season, but Hunter and Rozier have decent handles!!  Did you watch the game vs. Olympia today?  Did you watch Rozier at Louisville or Hunter in the NCAA tourney?  Not the NBA, but we have Smart (who looked like an outstanding ball handler today) and IT who can handle the rock.  Bradley can dribble a little as well, but he is turnover prone, but improved on that last year.

Smitty77

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
One zeller who cannot play D is enough

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Never let FACTS stand in the way of a good OPINION flybono!!!

Cody was the 5th ranked PF overall on ESPN's real plus/minus and 5th on defensive RPM.

But, you should just ignore those season-long statistical averages, right?

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6

Smitty77

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
I do believe that Smart played in the NBA last year and averaged 27 minutes per game and 3.1 assists to only 1.3 turnovers.  Did you watch any of the Summer League games?  Not the regular season, but Hunter and Rozier have decent handles!!  Did you watch the game vs. Olympia today?  Did you watch Rozier at Louisville or Hunter in the NCAA tourney?  Not the NBA, but we have Smart (who looked like an outstanding ball handler today) and IT who can handle the rock.  Bradley can dribble a little as well, but he is turnover prone, but improved on that last year.

Smitty77

Yes Smart played enough minutes last season, but he played only very limited minutes as the ball handler.

Yes, I watched all Summer League games, and the rookies all look promising to me. But Summer League is not the NBA. The difference is immense.

Yes, I watched the Milan game and I liked what I saw.

Avery Bradley is a good kid. But saying that he could do a bit of the ball handling is making me think that you haven't watched any of the Celtic games of the past.

You need more than one proven ball handler. And even though Smart en the rookies are looking very promising, they are not proven handlers.

That is all I'm saying.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Cody was the 5th ranked PF overall on ESPN's real plus/minus and 5th on defensive RPM.

Smitty77

And KO ranked 6th for Centers in the same metric. It's a metric, but a fairly flawed one and definitely not the end-all-be-all of player evaluation. If that's the best you have, then you have nothing.

Crimson_stallion (TP to him) has already picked apart this trade from a statistical analysis standpoint. Sully is the far, far better offensive player and rebounder. Zeller is a better defender, albeit in limited minutes.

Someone could make the argument that a swap of these two approaches something resembling a fair trade, but throwing in Turner as well? No thanks.

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Smitty77

Which just goes to show why statistics should not be used in isolation. Otherwise Olynyk is the 6th best center in the league and a better defender than Amir Johnson!!! Joel Anthony is better than Andre Drummond!!! And Demarre Carroll is a negative defender!!!! A simple eye test tells you that these are not true and the same goes for Cody Zeller. He's a DNP on our team, we have no interest in him.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought Sully played well on the offensive end yesterday but his defense as usual was poor.   Lee and him on the court together was especially bad. 

I asked my son was we watched the game what do you think we could get him and Turner.   His reply was not much.   I concur we are not going to get a marque player for this package and maybe only some else castoffs.  Definitely not DMC.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:35:54 AM by Celtics4ever »