Author Topic: Sully and Turner to Hornets for Cody Zeller and Troy Daniels (cut immediately)  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
This helps the Hornets since they are seemingly going to move Batum to SF, so they have a hole to fill at SG.  Turner can help with that and also get some assists as Kemba LOVES to shoot!!!  Also, Charlotte gets their NEXT Sean May in Sully:-)!!

We would get to experiment with the Zeller brothers together and give that a run!!

We might demand Charlotte give us an unprotected second rounder!!

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6617824

Thoughts??

Smitty77

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
put idea in title

No ty on this trade.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
lol. What have we seen from Cody to warrant this? At best, his production is half of an out-of-shape Sullinger.
As for Turner, is there a better bargain in the league for a primary ballhandler that can guard up to 3 positions?

As for the pick, Michael Jordan tries too hard to make the pick worthwhile for a lotto pick.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
so we give up the 2 better players in the deal for someone who'd be the 5th big in the rotation and someone to be cut immediately?  awful, just awful

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd do it. No idea why the Hornets would.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The only part of this trade that caught my attention was Troy Daniels (VCU Represent :P)

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
To become a contender don't we need a center like either Zeller to be our backup center to a better rebounder and rim defender? If that is the case, why would we need two Zellers?

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
BTW, Cody Zeller is 5th in ESPN's real plus/minus for PF's.  He also sets some of the best screens in the league, especially for a YOUNG man!!!

He is also Tyler's brother.

Did all you naysayers know where Cody ranked in real plus minus or is that news to you??

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/6

Smitty77

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
so we give up the 2 better players in the deal for someone who'd be the 5th big in the rotation and someone to be cut immediately?  awful, just awful

We do NOT need Evan Turner on this team any more.  He will NOT be re-signed by us IF we keep him for the entire year!!

Sully is lazy and unmotivated and I am ready for him to become someone else's problem child!!

Also, Cody is 5th in defensive RPM and Sully is 51st.  But, according to many of you guys, Sully is by FAR the superior player!!!

Did I mention that Sully shot 43.9% from the floor and that Cody shot 46.1% last year??

Smitty77

Smitty77

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
We do NOT need Evan Turner on this team any more.  He will NOT be re-signed by us IF we keep him for the entire year!!

Why does it matter if he is re-signed or not?

The fact is that our most shallow positions right now are SG and SF, and those are Turners primary positions. 

With Smart almost certain to start at PG (with Thomas as his backup) that really only one proven player who can back up Bradley at the SG spot - Turner.  The only other option is to put your faith in unproven rookies (Rozier, Hunter, Young) and that's a very big gamble for a team that's going into the season with the aim of making the playoffs.

We need Turner's skills more than you think this year, and he costs us barely anything.  There is no point at all in letting him go unless it's in a trade that brings us an upgrade at either the backup SG or starting SF spot - and this trade achieves neither.

Sully is lazy and unmotivated and I am ready for him to become someone else's problem child!!

I agree.

But he still has talent, and he still has the skills to be an All-Star (or borderline one) if he gets his head in check and his body in shape. 

I have my question marks on whether that will ever happen, but fact is the potential is there...and as long as there is potential there is value.

Sully won't get us a star, but he could get us a nice piece that could help us right now.  Cody Zeller won't do that because he won't even earn playing time on a front-court as deep as ours.  yet he doesn't really have much upside or trade value, so he won't help us much in the future either. 

Just not a move that makes much sense.

Also, Cody is 5th in defensive RPM and Sully is 51st.  But, according to many of you guys, Sully is by FAR the superior player!!!

Did I mention that Sully shot 43.9% from the floor and that Cody shot 46.1% last year??

Interesting that you would bring up FG% to try to suggest Sully is an inferior offensive player. 

Some numbers that may help indicate which of these guys is a better offensive player:

1) 88% of all Cody Zeller's field goal attempts came from either inside 3 feet (51% of all attempts, on 57% shooting) and on long two's outside 16 feet (37% of all attempts, on 35% shooting).  Sully for his career has never shot below 59.9% inside 3 feet, or below 36% on long two's outside 16 feet. 

2) Cody Zeller shot only 46% on 2PT field goals, which is absolutely horrible for a 7 footer.  By comparison Jared Sullinger shot 49% on 2PT field goals.

3) Cody Zeller's has absolutely no offensive game aside from shots right at the basket, and long two's.  Only 12% of his field goal attempts came from 3ft-10ft, 10ft-16ft and from 3pt combined.  Sully shot no less than 11% of his attempts and no more than 27% of his attempts from any one spot on the floor, so he has a far more balanced offensive game.  He is capable of scoring from a variety of spots on the floor and in a variety of ways - this makes him a more dangerous offensive threat.   

4) Sully had a higher assist-per-turnover ratio

5) Zeller averaged 2.3 OREB Per-36 while Sully average 3.4 OREB Per-36

Looking at their offensive stats across the board, there was really only one area where Zeller was substantially better and that was Free Throw Rate.  CZ had a 44% FTR compared to a woeful 18% FTR for Sully. 

That sounds great in theory, but in practice Zeller made 3.1 Free Throws Per 36 while Sully made 2.2 Free Throws Per-36.  That's not even one extra free throw made per game.

So as superior as CZ may look defensively (and I'm sure he is), Sully is far superior offensively.  Pick your poison.  I feel this team is going to be excellent defensively as it is this year, so I think we need the offense more than the defense.

I wouldn't trade either of those two guys (Sully or Turner) for Cody Zeller straight up, so definitely wouldn't trade both.

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Let's not >:(

Here's a nice move from Sully, during practice in Milan.

https://vine.co/v/e26U1Mp36O3

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Why does it matter if he is re-signed or not?

The fact is that our most shallow positions right now are SG and SF, and those are Turners primary positions. 

With Smart almost certain to start at PG (with Thomas as his backup) that really only one proven player who can back up Bradley at the SG spot - Turner.  The only other option is to put your faith in unproven rookies (Rozier, Hunter, Young) and that's a very big gamble for a team that's going into the season with the aim of making the playoffs.

We need Turner's skills more than you think this year, and he costs us barely anything.  There is no point at all in letting him go unless it's in a trade that brings us an upgrade at either the backup SG or starting SF spot - and this trade achieves neither.

I agree.

But he still has talent, and he still has the skills to be an All-Star (or borderline one) if he gets his head in check and his body in shape. 

I have my question marks on whether that will ever happen, but fact is the potential is there...and as long as there is potential there is value.

Sully won't get us a star, but he could get us a nice piece that could help us right now.  Cody Zeller won't do that because he won't even earn playing time on a front-court as deep as ours.  yet he doesn't really have much upside or trade value, so he won't help us much in the future either. 

Just not a move that makes much sense.

Interesting that you would bring up FG% to try to suggest Sully is an inferior offensive player. 

Some numbers that may help indicate which of these guys is a better offensive player:

1) 88% of all Cody Zeller's field goal attempts came from either inside 3 feet (51% of all attempts, on 57% shooting) and on long two's outside 16 feet (37% of all attempts, on 35% shooting).  Sully for his career has never shot below 59.9% inside 3 feet, or below 36% on long two's outside 16 feet. 

2) Cody Zeller shot only 46% on 2PT field goals, which is absolutely horrible for a 7 footer.  By comparison Jared Sullinger shot 49% on 2PT field goals.

3) Cody Zeller's has absolutely no offensive game aside from shots right at the basket, and long two's.  Only 12% of his field goal attempts came from 3ft-10ft, 10ft-16ft and from 3pt combined.  Sully shot no less than 11% of his attempts and no more than 27% of his attempts from any one spot on the floor, so he has a far more balanced offensive game.  He is capable of scoring from a variety of spots on the floor and in a variety of ways - this makes him a more dangerous offensive threat.   

4) Sully had a higher assist-per-turnover ratio

5) Zeller averaged 2.3 OREB Per-36 while Sully average 3.4 OREB Per-36

Looking at their offensive stats across the board, there was really only one area where Zeller was substantially better and that was Free Throw Rate.  CZ had a 44% FTR compared to a woeful 18% FTR for Sully. 

That sounds great in theory, but in practice Zeller made 3.1 Free Throws Per 36 while Sully made 2.2 Free Throws Per-36.  That's not even one extra free throw made per game.

So as superior as CZ may look defensively (and I'm sure he is), Sully is far superior offensively.  Pick your poison.  I feel this team is going to be excellent defensively as it is this year, so I think we need the offense more than the defense.

I wouldn't trade either of those two guys (Sully or Turner) for Cody Zeller straight up, so definitely wouldn't trade both.
TP for responding to the nonsense before I could (and in a much more thorough manner)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
They might do it but I don't think we need him. We've got his brother who's a far superior offensive player and pretty similar defensively.

I think the Hornets tried to dump him before draft night right? But they couldn't find anyone who wanted him.

At this point I'd prefer rolling the dice on Sully and a season with Amir Johnson as a role model+contract motivation (even though there's only maybe a 50% chance he makes any further progress as a player and human being).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'd do it. No idea why the Hornets would.

CB Trade Ideas.txt right here. 

I don't know enough about C. Zeller to really comment on how useful he'd be to us, but Charlotte's got a bad track record with draft picks and he certainly hasn't done too much up to this point.  More importantly, though, I don't think we're in a position to trade a wing player (or a ball handler) without getting one back. 

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Maybe we keep Troy Daniels to give him a look and let he and Perry battle it out for our last spot.  He seems to have a nice outside shot!!

As far as ball handlers, even if we traded AB and cut Daniels we would still have IT, Smart, Rozier, and Hunter as ball handlers.

Smitty77