Author Topic: Atlantic division analytics profiles are up  (Read 10836 times)

Re: Atlantic division analytics profiles are up
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Ryan Anderson, at his peak, was an outstanding rebounder

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I love Marcus Smart, but honestly every part of his offensive game needs work.

His game needs work, but he was a rookie.  Compare him to the other rookies in his class, especially guys who were a similar age, and he looks pretty alright.

As I posted earlier in the thread, guys who produced as Smart did in their rookie seasons have had a tendency to turn into at least decent offensive players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I have a question about league averages: Is that 35% as calculated from 

(a) the percentage of all of the three pointers taken for the season that went in? (i.e. Steph Curry counts 4x more than Jared Sullinger)

or

(b) the 3P% of all players who shot some, averaged? (i.e. Steph Curry counts the same as Jared Sullinger)

The answer is (a). If you grabbed a random NBA player in the gym and asked him his 3P%, the average value would be about 31%. Only about a third of NBA players actually shot better than 35% last season.

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I love Marcus Smart, but honestly every part of his offensive game needs work.

His game needs work, but he was a rookie.  Compare him to the other rookies in his class, especially guys who were a similar age, and he looks pretty alright.

As I posted earlier in the thread, guys who produced as Smart did in their rookie seasons have had a tendency to turn into at least decent offensive players.
I agree with you. I think he has potential but is not complete in basically any offensive category you want to name. To me this means he should not have done 1 thing offensively for the majority of his rookie campaign. I don't see how it helps him get better.

If you grabbed a random NBA player in the gym and asked him his 3P%, the average value would be about 31%. Only about a third of NBA players actually shot better than 35% last season.
Not really sure what the point of this is. If you had every major league baseball player throw a fastball, the majority of them would throw below 85 mph. Does this mean if you throw an 85mph fastball you have above average fastball velocity?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Ok ok. Piling on. My memory isn't 20/20. Anderson DID manage to average 10 rebounds per 40 minutes on a team where Dwight Howard was hoovering up everything in sight. Not elite, but good for a player spending most of his time on the perimeter.

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Ok ok. Piling on. My memory isn't 20/20. Anderson DID manage to average 10 rebounds per 40 minutes on a team where Dwight Howard was hoovering up everything in sight. Not elite, but good for a player spending most of his time on the perimeter.

You could've been right and there's still a chance I would've posted the gif. I've been waiting to use that one for a while.

TP. In-shape, sharpshooting Sully >>> Anderson, though.

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 04:04:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So if you're shooting more threes and are still right around league average for three point %, it stands to reason that you would be a better-than-average three point shooter.

If you expand the search out to 350 attempts, you're still looking at a who's who of great three point shooters in the league:
http://bkref.com/tiny/5tsKI

Food for thought: if you're a bad three point shooter, you're not going to be allowed to take that many shots from beyond the arc.
That's true. Trevor Ariza is clearly one of the elite shooters in the league, and you can tell that because he was one of 5 players whose team trusted him to take 500 threes last year.

If you don't think Trevor Ariza is a good three point shooter I suggest watching more basketball before you try to talk about it.  :)

I would also suggest that you investigate the way the Houston Rockets play basketball but, again, that would assume that you actually cared about having a discussion instead of making generally useless points.

Thirdly, I would say that if you're shooting 'league average' with a sample size of 500 threes over a season, in a league where (as previously pointed out) the actual average 3FG% is something like 31% would make you, well, well above average. That assumes, again, that you actually care about having a conversation instead of wasting time with pedantry.

I would finally suggest you take your, shall we say, sub-optimal ability to parse irrelevant information to prove a incorrect point onto your phone and dial up your local sports radio station. I think they'll be more receptive.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:09:27 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
That's an interesting and new-to-me theory on ET. He has generally been Sully's workout partner in Ohio, so there's that.

But it always seemed to me as if ET was buzzing around the court, playing big minutes, getting lots of rebounds and the like while coughing the ball up. I'm not sure conditioning explains that pattern.

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
So if you're shooting more threes and are still right around league average for three point %, it stands to reason that you would be a better-than-average three point shooter.

If you expand the search out to 350 attempts, you're still looking at a who's who of great three point shooters in the league:
http://bkref.com/tiny/5tsKI

Food for thought: if you're a bad three point shooter, you're not going to be allowed to take that many shots from beyond the arc.
That's true. Trevor Ariza is clearly one of the elite shooters in the league, and you can tell that because he was one of 5 players whose team trusted him to take 500 threes last year.

If you don't think Trevor Ariza is a good three point shooter I suggest watching more basketball before you try to talk about it.  :)

I would also suggest that you investigate the way the Houston Rockets play basketball but, again, that would assume that you actually cared about having a discussion instead of making generally useless points.

Thirdly, I would say that if you're shooting 'league average' with a sample size of 500 threes over a season, in a league where (as previously pointed out) the actual average 3FG% is something like 31% would make you, well, well above average. That assumes, again, that you actually care about having a conversation instead of wasting time with pedantry.

I would finally suggest you take your, shall we say, sub-optimal ability to parse irrelevant information to prove a incorrect point onto your phone and dial up your local sports radio station. I think they'll be more receptive.

Someone's having a bad day.

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah that was probably overboard. Apologies LTP. have a TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Kyle Lowry is an OK 3 pt shooter, maybe the % goes down because he has the ball all the time.
Kyle Lowry has shot .370 or better in 3 of his last 5 years. Calling him an "ok three point shooter" is the understatement of the year (hey, the basketball year is still young :P).

League average is probably around .360, and Lowry's at .366 over the last 5 years. Ok seems to be extremely apt.

League average last season was 35%
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

However, even in a down year for Lowry (33%), he was still only one of twenty players to hit that percentage while shooting as many threes as he did:
http://bkref.com/tiny/eGexA

So "ok" would only seem to be apt if you're willing to settle for cursory research.

Hilarious. league average rounded to 36% or higher 8 of the last 10 years, and there were only 20 players that took that many threes last year, he was 19th out of 20 in 3fg% for players who took that many shots. I might have done "cursory" research, but your more in-depth examination of the subject seemed to leave you with a lesser grasp of the subject.

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah that was probably overboard. Apologies LTP. have a TP.

Have a TP for your sig.

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

(a) the percentage of all of the three pointers taken for the season that went in? (i.e. Steph Curry counts 4x more than Jared Sullinger)

or

(b) the 3P% of all players who shot some, averaged? (i.e. Steph Curry counts the same as Jared Sullinger)

It's "a)", the total percentage of 3 point shots taken in the league that are made.

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 04:49:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Didn't expect to see a good old fashioned mean vs median fight break out in this thread.  Good stuff.

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 05:32:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

or

The answer is (a). If you grabbed a random NBA player in the gym and asked him his 3P%, the average value would be about 31%. Only about a third of NBA players actually shot better than 35% last season.

I got 33% for the average value from basketballreference, but I could have been doing it wrong I suppose.