Author Topic: Can Isaiah Thomas Be an All-Star Off the Bench?  (Read 1526 times)

Can Isaiah Thomas Be an All-Star Off the Bench?
« on: October 05, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Last year in his time with the Celtics, Isaiah Thomas averaged approximately 19 points, 5 assists, 2 rebounds, and 6.5 free throw attempts in 21 games playing 26 minutes per game.

Those are borderline All-Star numbers.  In a weak year, it might get him to the All-Star team.

This year, IT will probably keep coming off the bench, but he's also probably in line for even more minutes and a more featured role in the team's game plan.

With that said, what are the chances that IT can actually make the All-Star team as a bench scorer?

Before you answer, consider that in the 3 point era, there are only two players who have averaged less than 30 minutes per game and started fewer than 20 games who have actually made the All-Star team:

Kobe Bryant in 1998, for the Lakers.

Ricky Pierce in 1991, for the Bucks.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Can Isaiah Thomas Be an All-Star Off the Bench?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I personally think he can. I think it really comes down to if CBS puts him in a position to do so. I mean i'm sure IT can score 25 off the bench every game if he wanted to and given the opportunity . But, I am sure you already know the real issue is can he be that productive while it not being detrimental  to the overall team. I mean if were winnings games them I'm all for it!! Especially if he getting everyone involved. But if this can only happen through selfish play, no point of even considering it. Lets see if CBS puts IT in a position to succeed

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Last year in his time with the Celtics, Isaiah Thomas averaged approximately 19 points, 5 assists, 2 rebounds, and 6.5 free throw attempts in 21 games playing 26 minutes per game.

Those are borderline All-Star numbers.  In a weak year, it might get him to the All-Star team.

This year, IT will probably keep coming off the bench, but he's also probably in line for even more minutes and a more featured role in the team's game plan.

With that said, what are the chances that IT can actually make the All-Star team as a bench scorer?

Before you answer, consider that in the 3 point era, there are only two players who have averaged less than 30 minutes per game and started fewer than 20 games who have actually made the All-Star team:

I doubt it, but because the PG position is so loaded,  not because he won't deserve it (Kyrie, Wall, Dragic/Lowry will get the PG spots)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If he was doing it as a wing player, I'd say sure, why not?  As a PG though, the field's just too crowded.  Not impossible but it'd take some pretty fluky circumstances - maybe after a couple of injury replacements he'd find himself in.

...of course, this is all assuming we don't put a campaign together to stuff the ballot box and get him in as a starter  :laugh:

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
No question that he CAN be (look at Ginobili).  And his numbers are close enough.

It will all come down to whether the team wins.  If the team is successful, then someone like Thomas will be rewarded.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 01:40:09 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

First guy I thought of was Dan Majerle.  All-Star in '92 and '95 as a bench player (as well as '94, but he was starting that season), but he was playing like 35 and 38mpg.  Always thought it was funny when guys like him (and Kobe in '98) were starting in the All-Star game, but coming off the bench for their teams.

A little surprised Manu Ginonolli has only made 2 All-Star appearances (and both while a starter).  Though I'm sure if San Antonio was playing in the East, he'd probably have a few more.

And some how your filter missed Chris Gatling in '97 (also shout out to Kevin McHale as an All-Star while coming off the bench in '84, '90, and '91, but playing 30+mpg).

The thing with Thomas, there's always guys who average 20ppg in a season and don't make the All-Star game: Goran Dragic, Kevin Martin, Ben Gordon, Jason Richardson, Rudy Gay, Corey Maggette, Tyreke Evans, etc.  Monta Ellis averaged over 25ppg and didn't make it.  So for Thomas it's going to come down to a combination of his performance, team performance, and a weak East.  If he's averaging 20ppg and Boston is top 4 in the East on about a 50 win pace, then yes I can see him making it.  Otherwise, I think it will take a few well timed injuries to other potential All-Stars for this to happen.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:50:02 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

And some how you're filter missed Chris Gatling in '97

Missed him because I filtered for guys who played at least 50 games in the season, Gatling only played 47.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 02:28:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Depends on his role and the teams record. His best shot is if team has a top 4 record in the east and he is ultra effective in his minutes. Then he could get in via coaches add.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 02:46:44 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
As weak as the East is, just think about the star power in the East that wasn't on the All-Star team last year: Paul George, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, Brook Lopez, DeMar DeRozan, Joakim Noah.

And while some guys will probably drop off the roster from last year (Korver), there's also a lot of young guys looking for their first selections: Reggie Jackson, Drummond, Oladipo, Vucevic, Tobias Harris, Greek Freak, Parker, Monroe, Kemba Walker, Beal, Noel, etc., as well as not-so-young guys like Dragic and Big Al.

I'd love to see a Celtic on it, but it's going to be tough.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
In the East, yes.
In the West, no.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
It's possible if we're really, really good and he averages around 20 ppg.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think it's highly unlikely, but I'll slightly hijack this thread and say that I do think the whole sixth man idea is sort of overrated.  Red said that it doesn't matter who starts the games, it matters who finishes them.  And that's true, but I really don't think it matters at all who starts the game. 

If we're going to assume that Thomas, Smart, and Bradley are all going to get 25-30 mpg then they are going to all be playing with each other at different points (Smart/Bradley, Smart/Thomas, Thomas/Bradley), so given that we're going to see all 3 combinations as it is, does it really matter who plays the first 6-8 minutes together?  And if it's that important to Thomas to start, should Stevens just let him?  Because people keep saying that Thomas can come in for Smart or Bradley, the same is true for Bradley or Smart coming in for Thomas. 

So if Thomas ends up being a starter, it might change the All Star argument, especially if Stevens can find a way to keep him on the floor for closer to 30 mpg. 

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Would take a special season ....for Celtics , CBS, as well as a huge stat year for IT.

Celtics have to make noise as a team first .

Media will respond .....with heroes

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 06:17:17 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
If the Celtics keep pace with 45-50 wins by January-February, the Celtics will have an all star regardless of it being a weak year or not. Most playoff teams always have some kind of rep in the game as long as they are playing above 0.500 ball. Whether that is IT, a broken out Smart, or a broken out Sullinger is another question..IT is most likely to be this team's all star representative if they keep pace or slightly below pace where they left off last year because I can't really predict how well Smart and Sullinger will play.