Author Topic: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (21-59, 3rd slot as of 4/12)  (Read 568607 times)

Re: The official 2015-2016 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 11:53:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If they stumble and fall out of the gates do they take calls on Lopez?

I think they have to, assuming he's healthy.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nothing good will result unless Lopez and Johnson will be traded. They will just hang around 8th spot

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Nothing good will result unless Lopez and Johnson will be traded. They will just hang around 8th spot
you have to mean 8th worst record and not the 8th playoff spot because there's no way that team gets within 8-10 games of that last playoff slot even if healthy.  Even if healthy, that team is so thin on talent (and the talent is minimal as it is) that they're very likely a bottom 5 team.

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP.

That bench depth is just horrendous.. Whatever second unit coaches throw against that vomit bin of a line-up will outplay it every night...

Need a Minny/Dallas watch official thread too.

Maybe we'll start a Dallas watch thread later.  I personally don't post quite enough on a daily basis to keep threads of two other teams updated regularly.  Not sure I'd have the time nor desire to do so anyhow.  I'll stick to just Brooklyn for now... but certainly if someone else wants to keep tabs on Dallas, that would be great.
last year I maintained a thread on all the picks the C's were getting.   I was going to do the same this year once the season got started.  A lot more work this time with all those second rounders to keep track of too.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Found this interesting lol If that gets him away from his bread-and-butter in the paint and makes them worse in the long run, I'm all for it.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/06/brook-lopez-gets-green-light-to-shoot-3s-but-seems-reluctant/

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Double Post.

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Especially if it means them getting back into the first round of the draft in some shape or form.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 10:04:41 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Especially if it means them getting back into the first round of the draft in some shape or form.

Absolutely. Their only focus for the next 3 years should be to acquire as much young talent and draft capital as possible. Of course, this being the Nets, there's virtually no chance they do that. Then again, the Plumlee trade was a great example of what they should be doing (even though they waited too long to trade Plumlee), acquiring high-upside talents like RHJ.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948
I don't put much stock into the Nets' preseason loss to Fenerbahce Ulker because it's just that: a preseason game (and the first preseason game for them at that).  I did not see this game.  However, as predicted, defense was a major issue. 

The Nets are seriously lacking athleticism and defensive speed.  They rolled out with a starting lineup of Jack/Bogdonovic/Johnson/Robinson/Lopez.  I projected RHJ to start in some games for the simple reason of the Nets needing a perimeter defensive presence to guard the opposing teams' best perimeter player.  I'm not sure if he's ready to start.  But if Hollins is to stick with Jack, Johnson, and Bogs as the starting 1-3, they're probably going to continue to have serious defensive issues on the perimeter.  They're just too slow.  Lopez is also slow.  Young is a good athlete but shouldn't be mistaken for a defensive anchor.

Last year, when that trio [Jack, Johnson, and Bogs] was on the court together, the Nets were outscored by 62 points in the 478 minutes they were on the court, and had a defensive rating of 114.5 points per 100 possessions — a number so bad, it would have been nearly five points per 100 possessions worse than the worst defense in the league (Minnesota).

http://nypost.com/2015/10/06/nets-shaping-up-to-have-plodding-nightmare-of-a-defense/

Further, Hollins sounds to be toying with the idea of playing Lopez and Bargs together.  Jack/Johnson/Bogs/Bargs/Lopez?  Layup city.  Substitute whoever you want in for the 1-3 spots - if Bargs and Lopez are on the court together, simple pick and rolls and dribble drive aggression will get the job done.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/10/5/9452929/lionel-hollins-calling-andrea-bargnani-a-breath-of-fresh-air-plans-on

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yikes.  Playing Bargs and Brook Lopez together is borderline tanking.

But hey, if they want to tank for us, I'm all for it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
The one thing that keeps me from being completely optimistic about the Nets terribleness is that the bottom of the East could still be pretty bad. It's the time of year where everyone thinks they've improved but some of them are going to be worse than expected.

The 76ers probably will be worse than the Nets.

The Knicks will get Carmelo back but he's surrounded by mediocre role players and Derek Fischer still hasn't proven he can coach so I wouldn't be shocked to see that team be as bad or worse than the Nets.

The Magic have an exciting young nucleus but can anyone on that team shoot? Can they start putting it together? Still questions there.

The Hornets improved their roster (both by jettisoning Lanec Stephenson and by adding Nic Batum) but then MKG went down for the year and there are constant questions about Al Jefferson's health. So who knows.

I think the Pistons have cleared space and will have an identity going into this season but they didn't explicitly upgrade their talent much (aside from Stanley Johnson, who I like but it a rookie). I like them as a big improvement team but I wouldn't be shocked to be wrong about that. 

The Pacers also should improve and I think the Monta Ellis addition could be a terrific addtion but he's been labeled a malcontent in the past and that situation is possibly combustable.

My sense is that this Nets team is going to be terrible but there are still too many questions surrounding these other teams for me to be confident that the pick will definitely be great. But there's a lot of hope.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 12:26:15 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think the Pacers are going to struggle adjusting to this new system.

Brooklyn will be simply terrible. Did anyone else watch them today and the last game? Yes it's preseason but they are just horrid defensively.

I think Detroit will be better than both Brooklyn and Indiana.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 02:16:08 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
We're gonna get 3 Top 3 Picks, 3 Straight years...While we're in the playoffs....
Thank you Billy-!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 09:07:27 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I don't put much stock into the Nets' preseason loss to Fenerbahce Ulker because it's just that: a preseason game (and the first preseason game for them at that).  I did not see this game.  However, as predicted, defense was a major issue. 

The Nets are seriously lacking athleticism and defensive speed.  They rolled out with a starting lineup of Jack/Bogdonovic/Johnson/Robinson/Lopez.  I projected RHJ to start in some games for the simple reason of the Nets needing a perimeter defensive presence to guard the opposing teams' best perimeter player.  I'm not sure if he's ready to start.  But if Hollins is to stick with Jack, Johnson, and Bogs as the starting 1-3, they're probably going to continue to have serious defensive issues on the perimeter.  They're just too slow.  Lopez is also slow.  Young is a good athlete but shouldn't be mistaken for a defensive anchor.

Last year, when that trio [Jack, Johnson, and Bogs] was on the court together, the Nets were outscored by 62 points in the 478 minutes they were on the court, and had a defensive rating of 114.5 points per 100 possessions — a number so bad, it would have been nearly five points per 100 possessions worse than the worst defense in the league (Minnesota).

http://nypost.com/2015/10/06/nets-shaping-up-to-have-plodding-nightmare-of-a-defense/

Further, Hollins sounds to be toying with the idea of playing Lopez and Bargs together.  Jack/Johnson/Bogs/Bargs/Lopez?  Layup city.  Substitute whoever you want in for the 1-3 spots - if Bargs and Lopez are on the court together, simple pick and rolls and dribble drive aggression will get the job done.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/10/5/9452929/lionel-hollins-calling-andrea-bargnani-a-breath-of-fresh-air-plans-on
Nice post and TP for sharing the defensive stats.

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The future is bright, babaaaaaay!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell