Author Topic: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (21-59, 3rd slot as of 4/12)  (Read 572537 times)

Re: The official 2015-2016 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2015, 10:26:23 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
We don't have a Dallas pick watch thread yet, so maybe we should add the Mavericks to this thread, too.

Looks like Williams is already having some injury trouble:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/13916879/deron-williams-miss-least-preseason-dallas-mavericks-strained-right-calf

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
do you guys think the lopez twinz are sharing a condo in nyc or something? that would be amazing
RHJ can even bunk with them.

Brook told Robin he could live under his staircase, a la Harry Potter.

RHJ actually does have several roommates and commutes from North Jersey to save money - cheapest NBA pro since Raef LaFrentz.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2015, 10:25:45 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
A good read about the Nets last year by John Schuhmann on NBA.com.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/10/20/one-team-one-stat-nets-not-that-good/?ls=nbahpsplit1

It seems that almost all statistical measurements, whether they're perceived to be valid indicators of team performance (or future team performance) or not, argue against the Nets being even a decent team this season.  You can easily read the article linked (it's not very long) but I'll copy and paste things for discussion.

If you look at the team +/- over the course of the season, you'll see that it correlates very strongly with the team's record (this also seems to be true with the NFL).

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/?ls=iref:nba:gnav#!/?Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&sort=PLUS_MINUS&dir=1

Last year, Golden State led the league in point differential by a very large margin (I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think it was around +10 per game), with a season total of +828.  This is one of the reasons I predicted they'd win it all when the playoffs started. 

Brooklyn was 21st, with -236 over the season.  But here's the thing - they're markedly worse this season than last with the loss of Deron Williams and others. 

How does a team win a lot more games than its point differential says it should? Well, the Nets went 15-9 in games decided by five points or less and 8-17 in games decided by 15 points or more.

Bottom line: The Nets weren’t nearly good as their record said they were.

And they were even worse, with the numbers of both a bottom-5 offense and a bottom-5 defense, when Deron Williams wasn’t in the game.

And lets re-visit those Jarret Jack stats I posted earlier in the thread:

One might argue that when a team wins multiple games within a 5 point margin that it is a sign of a good team - after all, good teams "find a way" to win games, close or not.  In Brooklyn's case, I definitely don't think that's true.  They'll resemble our 2013-2014 season, where we simply couldn't close a game to save our lives.

- Conductor of the Brooklyn tank train out.

P.S. For fun, there was an ESPN "analysis" of Brooklyn's outlook as a franchise.  Not sure how they came up with these measurements because I don't have ESPN insider, but make of it what you will. 

http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/9/22/9375345/prognosis-brooklyn-nets-immediate-future-bad-long-term-future-worse

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/859987

Finally some good news for the nets.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/859987

Finally some good news for the nets.
Good news that he might miss the opener or good news he will be back soon.  Ha.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2015, 10:02:23 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This pick is going to be epicly delicious.

The team's just not that good...I predict the Celtics will get the 5th pick from NJ.

« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
yes, once again celtics fans can watch the tankathon.com thread and rejoice.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
It seems like they're worse than a lot of folks around here thought. I really don't see a way they can avoid giving us a top-10 pick, even if EVERYTHING goes right for them. They're one Brook Lopez injury away from being a genuine, 100% dumpster fire. If he gets hurt for any significant period and that pick is easily top-5.

Karma needs to work for us here, I think were due for the Nets to finish with the 4th worst record but they win the lottery and we get a #1 overall pick to go with our 48 win, 4th seed season where we lose to Cleveland in the ECF. Then the aura of CBS, a team on the rise and the #1 pick score us a big time FA. Oh, and we trade our other two picks and the 2018 Brooklyn pick for DMC :)

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2015, 03:42:48 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
It seems like they're worse than a lot of folks around here thought. I really don't see a way they can avoid giving us a top-10 pick, even if EVERYTHING goes right for them. They're one Brook Lopez injury away from being a genuine, 100% dumpster fire. If he gets hurt for any significant period and that pick is easily top-5.

Karma needs to work for us here, I think were due for the Nets to finish with the 4th worst record but they win the lottery and we get a #1 overall pick to go with our 48 win, 4th seed season where we lose to Cleveland in the ECF. Then the aura of CBS, a team on the rise and the #1 pick score us a big time FA. Oh, and we trade our other two picks and the 2018 Brooklyn pick for DMC :)

Alas, Karma has never worked for us. Also, having grown up a Red Sox fan, it's so hard to be optimistic, since I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I know they've won three since 2000, but the scars are still there.

Having said that, if I were looking at it with no memory of the past, it does appear that this team could be really bad. First 10 games:

Bulls, Spurs (away), Grizzlies (away), Bucks, Hawks (away), Lakers, Bucks (away), Houston (away), Sacramento (away) and GS (away).

Possible hurdles: I have to admit, that Lakers game makes me nervous. Sure, Kobe and Hibbert should still be in good shape, but they're only a few players deep and Randle & Russell won't have hit their stride yet. Maybe they win another in there somewhere because, well, everybody makes a run. 2-8

Next 10 look a little better, with home games against Detroit and Phoenix at the end of the run, and an "away" game at New York. That Detroit game really worries me, but maybe, after a hard-fought battle, they manage to pull out the loss. 3-7

So we're 20 games in and I'm 5-15. And even though I've got Orlando, Philly and the T-Wolves coming up in the next ten, I've gotta be thinking that this year isn't going to be the year and I've got no shot at Durant in the off-season. It gets worse: several months ago, 2016 was a hot free agent class. I could hold out hope that I could bring in a few max players. Then, everyone resigned. Who do I have now? A 30-year old Al Horford? A dozen guys named DeMar DeRozan? There's nothing worth a max contract. And even if I did have a shot at somebody good, so do a lot of other teams with real players that are much closer to the Big Win.

So here's my choices: start the rebuild now or be prepared to pay $23m per year for Al Jefferson. I desperately need draft picks, so I'm willing to trade anyone that is upright. Assuming that that group includes BLopez, maybe I get lucky and a bubble contender is willing to give me a couple of picks in the 2017/18/19 region. Maybe Indiana or New Orleans gets on a hot streak and thinks it has a shot, or Washington thinks that Lopez will help them bring in Durant. Perhaps one is willing to send a 2017 and 2019 pick/right to swap for Lopez. Maybe somebody pays up for Thaddeus Young. Point being, they will have opportunities and, if 20 games in, somebody thinks they have a chance, they might be willing to overpay for Brooklyn.

I'm a pessimist, but this could end up being a lot of fun. As things stand now, I have Brooklyn finishing ahead of Portland, Detroit and Philadelphia, as well as a pick 'em, but there's always hope.

Mike

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2015, 04:15:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Rod Boone
‏@rodboone
No practice for Jarrett again today. Looks like he won't be available for tomorrow's opener vs. #Bulls.

So it looks like Larkin is starting and Sloan is backing him up...Chicago is going to crush them!

Dahntay Jones was waived and I thought he showed a lot of fight during the preseason.

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2015, 04:34:53 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Didn't read through the whole thing but I love this thread...the official lottery watch!..lol.
Should also have one for Dallas, as they're an injury away from finishing out of the playoffs (but no bad enough to finish in the top 7), and to a lesser degree, Minnesota, though I don't see them making a push for the playoffs this year.

edit: ask and you shall receive (in this case, look and avoid being dope-slapped)

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Rod Boone
‏@rodboone
No practice for Jarrett again today. Looks like he won't be available for tomorrow's opener vs. #Bulls.

So it looks like Larkin is starting and Sloan is backing him up...Chicago is going to crush them!

Dahntay Jones was waived and I thought he showed a lot of fight during the preseason.

They are so close to the tax that they were basically locked in to the guys they had partially guaranteed.

It's amazing how thin they are in the frontcourt. Bargnani is hurting (missed the entire preseason after aggravating a hamstring with Italy), Reed is out for a least another month and McCullough is still rehabbing his ACL tear. Thomas Robinson is their only healthy back-up big.

The only position they have good, healthy depth at is SF, with Johnson, Bogey and RHJ and even Karasev. Hence they didn't feel the need to tiptoe the tax for Jones.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Nets game thread
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2015, 06:30:54 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Should we have a Nets game thread also?

Re: Nets game thread
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2015, 06:35:18 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think it's a perfect idea to consolidate our day to day hating of the nets to one convenient thread.

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Well this works also. Guess I was too lazy to find this. Thanks mods.