Author Topic: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (21-59, 3rd slot as of 4/12)  (Read 572764 times)

Re: The official 2015-2016 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Jack has 4 TO's in the half. And they are down on Philly. This is wonderful. Lopez is a beast though.

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm not sure we've ever seen a franchise in as bad a situation as the Nets.  They absolutely should blow it up and start over, which means unloading high price talent for future assets.  But since we essentially own their next three 1st rounders, they are blocked from the main advantage to blowing it up, which is stinking your way into high lottery picks.

Mike

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I'm not sure we've ever seen a franchise in as bad a situation as the Nets.  They absolutely should blow it up and start over, which means unloading high price talent for future assets.  But since we essentially own their next three 1st rounders, they are blocked from the main advantage to blowing it up, which is stinking your way into high lottery picks.

Mike
They can blow it up mid season, cash in Lopez, JJ, and Young for a handful of firsts. Would love to see that happen, then again they can trade those guys for picks and players which may or may not make them better.

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Mike

See, that's the thing though. If your them, it's still in your best interest to trade everyone you have of value to replace the future draft assets you lost. It sucks because then your at the mercy of how the teams pick you own does, and I'm not so sure they could get a whole lot of draft capital if they cashed their guys in anyway.

Lopez is a good player. If he's healthy and playing as well as he did at the end of last year, but your still clearly not a playoff team, then you might get a few decent offers for him. Maybe a team like the Suns who I believe own their own pick and Cleveland's would be interested in some kind of deal around those picks and Len or something. Other than that though, how much do you really think Thad Young is gonna get you? One late first maybe? Maybe you can get one if you take back some bad deals by trading Johnson. Jack isn't worth a first, maybe a early 2nd. Bargs is a minimum guy. Bogodanvich? Idk.

If your Brooklyn you NEED draft capital. You can't go through the next 3 years with one mid-late 1st rounder, but it kinda seems like the only way they can acquire meaningful draft assets is by trading one of their two best players. If you trade Lopez or Young from this team, I have a hard time seeing us get anything less than a #5 or 6 pick.

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

See, that's the thing though. If your them, it's still in your best interest to trade everyone you have of value to replace the future draft assets you lost. It sucks because then your at the mercy of how the teams pick you own does, and I'm not so sure they could get a whole lot of draft capital if they cashed their guys in anyway.

Lopez is a good player. If he's healthy and playing as well as he did at the end of last year, but your still clearly not a playoff team, then you might get a few decent offers for him. Maybe a team like the Suns who I believe own their own pick and Cleveland's would be interested in some kind of deal around those picks and Len or something. Other than that though, how much do you really think Thad Young is gonna get you? One late first maybe? Maybe you can get one if you take back some bad deals by trading Johnson. Jack isn't worth a first, maybe a early 2nd. Bargs is a minimum guy. Bogodanvich? Idk.

If your Brooklyn you NEED draft capital. You can't go through the next 3 years with one mid-late 1st rounder, but it kinda seems like the only way they can acquire meaningful draft assets is by trading one of their two best players. If you trade Lopez or Young from this team, I have a hard time seeing us get anything less than a #5 or 6 pick.

But with whom can they trade?

If they had their picks, then they could trade Lopez or whomever for anyone.  Even if all they got back is a bad contract and a late first rounder, that would just be the sweetener to sending themselves into the lottery.  But that doesn't work for the Nets.  They need to get back real value and Lopez for scraps and two firsts in the 20s won't cut it.  And remember, unloading Lopez will kill the Nets as a free agent destination, no matter how much cap space they have.

You are right that it's probably the best option but it may be the bitterest pill any franchise has had to swallow.  We're talking about a blow-up-and-rebuild that could take 10 years just to get back to respectability.

Mike

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Nets just lost to the 76ers...

aw yeh.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I still think they can hover around .500 this season.
right, but by comparison you think the C's will suck ::)

I think the C's probably win 40-45.

I think Brooklyn probably wins 35-40.    The pick should be in the 12-17 range.

I've never said the C's will suck.   It's a phenomenally coached group of role players.  I've been on board with the David Lee addition since it was announced... poor man's Kevin Love.   The team obviously will not contend, but it's not going to suck.  Should be firmly mediocre.  It's a bloated roster filled with ok players.  If we manage to combine a handful of those ok players/picks and land a superstar, stuff will get interesting around here.   

Just not buying the idea that Brooklyn is a bottom team now, though.  If they stay healthy, they will be ok.

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I've never said the C's will suck.   It's a phenomenally coached group of role players.  I've been on board with the David Lee addition since it was announced... poor man's Kevin Love.   The team obviously will not contend, but it's not going to suck.  Should be firmly mediocre.  It's a bloated roster filled with ok players.  If we manage to combine a handful of those ok players/picks and land a superstar, stuff will get interesting around here.   

Just not buying the idea that Brooklyn is a bottom team now, though.  If they stay healthy, they will be ok.

If they are 100% healthy all season long (highly unlikely), they jussstttt might give us a pick above #10. If they have any fairly serious injuries, or if they make any trades got future draft/player assets, that pick will make a run at the top 5.

How can you really believe that a team that's gonna play Lopez and Bargs big minutes together could be a playoff team? Let's remember that Lopez and Bargnari are gonna play big minutes together in what may be the worst defensive front court in recent NBA history. Jarrett Jack and Shane Larkin are going to be the only PGs they have. After Lopez, their best 5 players are an old, declining Joe Johnson, Thad Young, Jack and a minimum salary level Bargs. They're bench consists of Larkin, Markel Brown, Bogodanvich, Willie Reed, T-Robinson and RHJ. That's a sorry team. They'll need help from the gods to finish with 38-40 wins.

At times your constant pessimism has it's place, at other times it clouds your judgment. Brooklyn will be giving us a good to great lottery pick this year. As a Celtic fan, that should excite you.

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2015, 10:45:42 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

There is no way in hell that Brooklyn team as currently constructed wins 40 games.

Especially with Lopez who is an injury waiting to happen.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 05:07:56 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Ok I have 2 questions for you. How many ppg will the Nets average and who will score them?

Lopez: 22ppg (a steady improvement from last years 18)
Johnson: 17ppg (up from 14.4, questionable)
Young: 17ppg (I guess his usage will increase)
Jack: 15ppg (should see an uptick as a starter)
Bogdanovic: 9ppg (5th starter with 4 scorers, generous)
Bargs: 5ppg (but might as well be 0 given his likely differential)
RHJ: 3ppg
Robinson:4ppg
Others: 8ppg

That's 100ppg, the league average from last year and 2ppg above their last season! I think I've been generous with the points to Johnson, Bogdanovic and "Others" considering they will most likely run a 9 man rotation and that other will probably be Larkin most of the time.
Last season their points allowed was 100.9ppg and tbh this roster is more sieve like than last years when they started with Plumlee and Garnett. If any of Johnson, Lopez or Young misses a game then you can basically add one to the L column.

They had the 22nd worst point differential last year, that will grow this year. Regression to the mean says Miami, Indiana and Detroit should jump them. If they are completely healthy all year, which doesn't happen to ANY team, then they would be about #10.

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2015, 10:20:18 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Willing to bring that prediction into single digits yet?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 11:07:13 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004

Willing to bring that prediction into single digits yet?

Well it was just a preseason game.  We've got a few more of those against the Nets that I don't particularly consider to be of predictive value either.  Honestly, I think we're going to stomp the Nets in the regular season, regardless of what happens in the preseason.  Best they'll do against us is win once out of the 4 times we play them.

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Nets fans are clamoring for a Ricky Rubio trade!

http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/10/14/9535047/Brooklyn-Nets-Boston-Celtics-Preseason-Barclays-Center-NBA

I'm watching the Brooklyn point guard situation closely. They obviously need to find a way to get Rajon at this point.

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 02:31:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/10/14/9535047/Brooklyn-Nets-Boston-Celtics-Preseason-Barclays-Center-NBA

I'm watching the Brooklyn point guard situation closely. They obviously need to find a way to get Rajon at this point.

Starting Rubio on that team might actually make them worse offensively.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 02:44:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Starting Rubio on that team might actually make them worse offensively.

So you're saying Ainge should help make it happen?  :D

Which begs the question: has a GM ever tried to sabotage another team (for improved draft position) by trading or helping broker a trade with them?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague