Author Topic: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (21-59, 3rd slot as of 4/12)  (Read 569410 times)

Re: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (13-39, 3rd slot as of 2/6)
« Reply #3165 on: February 10, 2016, 11:39:51 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
You only win the lottery if you have luck. Sure getting the highest pick ensures the highest odds of winning the lottery but eventually you need lady luck to fall your way for you to win.  This season I think the Celtics are going to have luck. Doesn't matter if they finish anywhere from the top pick all the way down to the 7th pick. Luck will be on their side and the Celtics will land in the top 3 of the lottery.

TP, been thinking the exact same thing.

There is a positive vibe about this team/franchise this year that is palpable. It's our turn!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:26:23 PM by csfansince60s »

Re: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (13-39, 3rd slot as of 2/6)
« Reply #3166 on: February 11, 2016, 08:31:01 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
You only win the lottery if you have luck. Sure getting the highest pick ensures the highest odds of winning the lottery but eventually you need lady luck to fall your way for you to win.  This season I think the Celtics are going to have luck. Doesn't matter if they finish anywhere from the top pick all the way down to the 7th pick. Luck will be on their side and the Celtics will land in the top 3 of the lottery.

TP, been thinking the exact same thing.

There is a positive vibe about this team/franchise this year that is palpable. It's out turn!

kind of like how the cavs won the Wiggins lottery even when they had the 7th or 8th best odds and a record better than the Celtics?!

« Reply #3167 on: February 11, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I'm feeling the positive vibes too!  :)

06-07 was not as fun as this year!!  :P

Edit: I'm watching the replay of Memphis vs Brooklyn right now on Fox Sports.

Edit: ugly game, wow. Watching Ryan Hollins is fun... I was wrong at the beginning of the season. They are and were a lot worse than I expected them to be. So glad to be wrong! They're not tanking and their roster isn't decimated by injuries, so they have no excuses. Just an unremarkably bad team. :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:51:56 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #3168 on: February 11, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
I'm not sure how credible Brian Windhorst is, but reportedly the Raptors are interested in Thad Young.

http://thebrooklyngame.com/report-toronto-raptors-targeting-thaddeus-young/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Speaking with a Toronto-based radio station, ESPN Insider Brian Windhorst noted that the Toronto Raptors have been “pretty aggressive” in the trade market, and cited Nets forward Thaddeus Young as one of the players the team was pursuing.

Both the Nets and Raptors are over the cap, so the teams would need to match salaries to make any potential deal work. That likely means that one of Cory Joseph (making $7 million per annum through 2018-19) or Patrick Patterson (a little over $6 million through next season) would have to be included in the deal, plus another player or two on a smaller deal.

Along with owning all of their own first-round picks, the Raptors have two extra first-rounders: they own the less favorable first-rounder between the Knicks & Nuggets (two likely lottery teams), and a first-round pick from the Los Angeles Clippers that should convey this season. As Windhorst notes, it’s unlikely that they would trade the Knicks/Nuggets pick for anything that’s not a blockbuster deal, but if the team is intent on contending now, they might be willing to part with future assets.

Young's rebounding is inflated this year because he's playing next to Lopez and nobody else on the Nets is a good rebounder except for Thomas Robinson.  With that said, he's having a very solid season.  If he's traded, that really strengthens the chance of the Nets finishing as a bottom 3 team in the league.

Tough call for Brooklyn.  They're already unlikely to attract quality free agents this summer, but trading away a solid piece in Young would only hurt those chances.  It would also make Brook Lopez unhappy since there would literally have nothing but scrubs left on that roster.  But I think that this is how they need to approach their rebuild - forget where the picks owed to the Celtics land, and build patiently by acquiring draft picks, young players, and absorbing bad contracts for assets.

If I'm Brooklyn, my initial asking price is high, such as:

In addition to the Clippers 1st round pick, and possibly a future 2nd rounder.  Brooklyn gets a much needed upgrade at PG with Joseph.  Waive Larkin, who is flat out terrible.  It is not reasonable to ask for the Knicks pick, nor more than one 1st rounder, as Thad Young is simply not worth that.

I'm not sure why the Raptors are interested in Young.  I don't see him putting the Raptors over the top against Cleveland.  Doesn't fit all that well next to Valanciunas nor Biyombo.  Maybe they plan on playing Young off the bench at C for a small ball lineup. 

If I'm the Raptors, I'd balk and offer Patterson, Delon Wright, and a pair of 2nd rounders.  Not sure what the Nets say to that offer.  The Nets also don't currently have a GM (see next post).

« Reply #3169 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
The Nets apparently have narrowed their candidates for GM: Bryan Colangelo, Sean Marks, and Arturas Karsinovas.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/brooklyn-nets/post/_/id/23544/mikhail-prokhorov-nets-readying-short-list-for-gm-vacancy

NEW YORK -- The Brooklyn Nets' braintrust will meet this weekend and get down to a short list of two or three candidates for its general manager opening, a league source told ESPN's Chris Broussard.

The frontrunners are believed to be two-time executive of the year Bryan Colangelo, Denver Nuggets assistant GM Arturas Karnisovas and San Antonio Spurs assistant GM Sean Marks.

The Nets are not rushing to make their decision before the Feb. 18 trade deadline, although it could happen before then, according to the source.

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov told ESPN.com on Wednesday that his search committee's first round of interviews is over, and they were in the process of compiling a short list of candidates.

"We've finished our first round of homework, now we're onto our second -- the short list," Prokhorov said.

The Nets conducted interviews from Monday to Wednesday -- and in addition to Colangelo, Karnisovas and Marks, that list is believed to have also included Houston Rockets vice president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas, former Atlanta Hawks GM Danny Ferry, Indiana Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard, former Cleveland Cavaliers GM Chris Grant and Brooklyn assistant GM Frank Zanin.

The 14-40 Nets have spoken to about over a dozen candidates during the process. Thursday marks exactly a month since they demoted Billy King and reassigned him within the organization.

Sounds like they've got some good candidates lined up.  Hopefully things turn out for the worst for them.

« Reply #3170 on: February 12, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Nets reached out to the Hawks. Looking to trade for Teague and Milsap.

« Reply #3171 on: February 12, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Teague for Young might make some sense, but no way they could get Millsap.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3172 on: February 12, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Joe Johnson. Would be a salary dump for Hawks so they could get out of the contract.

« Reply #3173 on: February 12, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

They have absolutely nothing that can land them Milsap. Doubt they have enough to offer for Teague either.

« Reply #3174 on: February 12, 2016, 11:57:03 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Joe Johnson. Would be a salary dump for Hawks so they could get out of the contract.
The Nets think that they could get Millsap in a salary dump? He probably has more value than Al Horford.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3175 on: February 12, 2016, 11:57:18 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

They have absolutely nothing that can land them Milsap. Doubt they have enough to offer for Teague either.

Lopez might do it, but that'd be pretty pointless from their end.  Bet they're trying to sell the Hawks on Young + extras for Millsap though. 

« Reply #3176 on: February 12, 2016, 11:57:41 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

With the cap going up in a few months, salary dumps are worthless. Milsap is even more valuable because he is locked up longer than guys like Horford.

« Reply #3177 on: February 12, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The Nets think that they could get Millsap in a salary dump? He probably has more value than Al Horford.
Hey I have no idea what teams are offering. But its a possibility if they want to unload him and they don't get offers.

« Reply #3178 on: February 12, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

With the cap going up in ages months, salary dumps are worthless. Milsap is even more valuable because he is locked up longer than guys like Horford.
just repeating what I read. Could be Joe Johnson and their two Rookies.

« Reply #3179 on: February 12, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The fact that it's taking this long is ridiculous. They're not going to get someone in there before the trade deadline, at a time when teams may be willing to offer the most for someone like Lopez or Young.

I wonder if they're going to hire someone who's brutally honest or just someone who tells them what they want to hear, that they can still compete in the next few years.