Author Topic: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (21-59, 3rd slot as of 4/12)  (Read 572687 times)

Re: The official 2015-2016 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 07:31:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Lopez and Young having just signed longterm deals bodes well for us. I'd be more concerned if they were in a contract year.

very good point, particularly with Lopez.
He may mentally check out and not go as hard as he should, trying to keep himself healthy for the next 4 years.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 07:33:28 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
4-10 without DWill last year with another 2 losses in games where he played less than 10 minutes due to injuries. Based on their net point spread, the Nets should have won 33 vs the 38 they did win, which means they pulled out a greater share of close games. The fall off in PG play from DWill to Jack should be enough to get them down there this year and the early Vegas line of 28.5 wins probably factors in expectations for an injury to Lopez who has missed an average of 40 games a year over the last 4 seasons though only 10 last year.

Yep, D Will was bad for D Will standards, but that was still light years better than Jack.
I'm just worried they'll make some trades to make a playoff push considering we have their pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 07:45:14 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
TP.

That bench depth is just horrendous.. Whatever second unit coaches throw against that vomit bin of a line-up will outplay it every night...

Need a Minny/Dallas watch official thread too.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
4-10 without DWill last year with another 2 losses in games where he played less than 10 minutes due to injuries. Based on their net point spread, the Nets should have won 33 vs the 38 they did win, which means they pulled out a greater share of close games. The fall off in PG play from DWill to Jack should be enough to get them down there this year and the early Vegas line of 28.5 wins probably factors in expectations for an injury to Lopez who has missed an average of 40 games a year over the last 4 seasons though only 10 last year.

Yep, D Will was bad for D Will standards, but that was still light years better than Jack.
I'm just worried they'll make some trades to make a playoff push considering we have their pick.

But all their guys' stock is so low at the moment. Johnson's expiring isn't really worth that much because almost everyone has loads of cap room for next year anyway. Even if they are around 500 at the deadline they will have to look at below 500 teams with disgruntled guys (they just don't have any stuff that other contenders might want).. At a super long-shot: Lillard? Paul George? Carmelo? I can't think of too many other not completely mental scenarios.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 09:00:50 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003

No question about it.   The Nets were much better with DWill on the court than when he was not.

Per 100 possessions, the Nets offense was 5.5 points better with DWill on the court compared to when he was off, and net points per 100 possessions was +6.4.  Compare that to Jack's -10.8.  The difference is astounding.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BKN1.HTM

Other notes:

Apparently Bargnani is sitting out of tonight's preseason game to rest his hamstring, as he logged a lot of time in Eurobasket this summer.  He missed the first 13 games last season with a hamstring injury, and apparently has only played in 137 of 312 games over the past 4 years.

Chris McCullough, BKN's first round pick this draft, will be continue to be on the sidelines while he rehabs his torn ACL.  The timetable is uncertain.

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I still think they can hover around .500 this season.
right, but by comparison you think the C's will suck ::)

I don't think the C's will make the playoffs but they'll be a good 10-12 wins better than Brooklyn

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

the question to ask yourself is who would they trade that would bring back talent that could make them a playoff team?  they've got Lopez, Young, Johnson that might bring back a player but no team would trade Brooklyn a player that would make much of a difference -- certainly not one that would get them to the playoffs

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 09:56:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
the question to ask yourself is who would they trade that would bring back talent that could make them a playoff team?  they've got Lopez, Young, Johnson that might bring back a player but no team would trade Brooklyn a player that would make much of a difference -- certainly not one that would get them to the playoffs

The only possible trade I see them making, which only makes them worse, is dealing Johnson for some expiring(s) and a couple of picks. There just isn't much on that roster. A .500 record is a pipe-dream.

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 11:51:21 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
TP.

That bench depth is just horrendous.. Whatever second unit coaches throw against that vomit bin of a line-up will outplay it every night...

Need a Minny/Dallas watch official thread too.

Maybe we'll start a Dallas watch thread later.  I personally don't post quite enough on a daily basis to keep threads of two other teams updated regularly.  Not sure I'd have the time nor desire to do so anyhow.  I'll stick to just Brooklyn for now... but certainly if someone else wants to keep tabs on Dallas, that would be great.

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 12:38:38 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

The only possible trade I see them making, which only makes them worse, is dealing Johnson for some expiring(s) and a couple of picks. There just isn't much on that roster. A .500 record is a pipe-dream.

I think they could even entertain the idea of moving just about anyone including Jack, Young, Or even Lopez if the right offer came along.

If someone offers up a decent package of picks/prospects/expirings for Lopez I think they'd really consider it. Not that we would, but if we offered them their pick back or even the Dallas pick and change for Lopez I think they'd think long and hard about it. There's seemed to have been a shift in thinking in Brooklyn this summer where they really started looking to get back into the draft and give themselves some financial flexibility. If they can enter next summer with some combination of a top-15 pick, a good prospect on his rookie deal or double max cap space, I think they'll find that preferable to the alternative

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 01:19:11 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I think they could even entertain the idea of moving just about anyone including Jack, Young, Or even Lopez if the right offer came along.

If someone offers up a decent package of picks/prospects/expirings for Lopez I think they'd really consider it. Not that we would, but if we offered them their pick back or even the Dallas pick and change for Lopez I think they'd think long and hard about it. There's seemed to have been a shift in thinking in Brooklyn this summer where they really started looking to get back into the draft and give themselves some financial flexibility. If they can enter next summer with some combination of a top-15 pick, a good prospect on his rookie deal or double max cap space, I think they'll find that preferable to the alternative

You pose an interesting question, though. How much would Lopez be worth to us? The Brooklyn pick obviously wouldn't be advised in an exchange, but the Dallas pick and Sully? Highly unlikely to get it done, sure -- but a frontcourt of Lopez and Amir, with KO and Zeller off the pine, would be pretty solid.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 869
There is one thing that is going to define the success or lack there of for the Nets; Health.

A healthy Lopez, in particular, for most or all of the season and they just might be a 0.500 team as someone predicted.  Joe Johnson is old and could be an injury risk as well.  So they have some high injury risk and not much depth to deal with the injuries.

This is why sports is hard to predict.  I don't think they will be very good.  I think the odds are that they will have some injuries to key players that will have a big impact.

It will be fun to watch.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 08:23:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I share that opinion.  I can't see them making trades that would improve them short term (certainly in the window that their picks are going elsewhere).  If anything, I could see them making deals to unload what talent they have now for young players with potential and someone else's first round picks so that they can reload with young players even if they are reaping the 'rewards' of their own ineptitude.

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
If they stumble and fall out of the gates do they take calls on Lopez?

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Bargnani wont play more then 68 games this season.  I give J.J. and Lopez 70. God forbid Jack goes down.

If were expected to win 42-45. And were DEEP! And can afford injuries.  HOW in any world does Nets come close to that. I think if they have a chance to come close to .500 then we should easily have a chance at 50+ wins. It's only right to say based on the comparison.  If any of their "Small 3" gets injured.  I  called either pick 3 or 4. NO WAY this pick isn't in top 5.. I just  don't see it.

SIDE NOTES: Some of the veteran posters on the NETS forums agree that Brooklyn should just let C's cash in their rewards and worry about the rebuild more than how their picks will pan out  because chances are, they probably only have the power to move that pick down a few slots in return for a semi horrible season instead of a atrocious one.

Nets will be done to have any short term plans at this point. Their deff going down that creek!