Author Topic: what it means to be a celtic--the banners,fans and brad  (Read 1888 times)

what it means to be a celtic--the banners,fans and brad
« on: October 03, 2015, 07:20:04 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
when its said by cousy,sam jones,havilcheck after all these years and you watch tapes of bird era showcasing their team work and passing
this season should be as fascinating as they come ,the rebuild of celts and brad pulling the strings seems more rewarding than picking up a collection of all stars
i like basketball played the celts way tough gritty defence,unselfish basketball with pace and ball movement-
the banners,fans,ainge and brad make it easy to buy in-ask zeller,ask turner,ask jerebko,ask crowder and now ask isaiah even ask gigi----
and ask little ol butler
amir and lee loved the idea of coming to boston
if you love basketball ,you gotta love the celts even when they have superstars they want to make  others play better with a unselfish pass or go out and score 60 after as a teamate,  you helped  other guy score 59--its not magic the celts win its a winning culture based on hard word,team and defense--the fans know it and real basketball players

Re: what it means to be a celtic--the banners,fans and brad
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
TP
Exactly, that's why I believe this team will surpass expectation.
As opposed to all the negative people here that only swear by the talent.
We shall see...

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
when its said by cousy,sam jones,havilcheck after all these years and you watch tapes of bird era showcasing their team work and passing
this season should be as fascinating as they come ,the rebuild of celts and brad pulling the strings seems more rewarding than picking up a collection of all stars
i like basketball played the celts way tough gritty defence,unselfish basketball with pace and ball movement-
the banners,fans,ainge and brad make it easy to buy in-ask zeller,ask turner,ask jerebko,ask crowder and now ask isaiah even ask gigi----
and ask little ol butler
if you love basketball ,you gotta love the celts even when they have superstars they want to make  others play better with a unselfish pass or go out and score 60 after as a teamate,  you helped  other guy score 59--its not magic the celts win its a winning culture based on hard word,team and defense--the fans know it and real basketball players

You just outlined the formula for getting the most from a team of solid, but unspectacular players.
thanks

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
As a life long Celtic fan, I have seen the spirit of the Celtics team bring winning out of less physical talent.  The Celtics welcome every player as a member of the family.  I read how Red Auerbach even in his later years would go out to lunch with players like Delonte West and try to encourage them.  The Celtics don't say bad things about any of their players in the newspapers.  I also remember a TV interview with Bill Russell.  Russell asked, "How did I win championships over Wilt Chamberlain?  Wilt was 4 inches taller than me, Wilt could run faster than me, Wilt could jump higher than me, Wilt had 50 pounds on me, How could we beat his team?"  Then Russell pointed to his head.  "This is what I used to win championships over Wilt"  Certainly Russell, and Bird, and Havlicek, and all the stars had great physical talent, but they all made their teammates better, all were smart, and all had their own people skills and competitive fire.
Brad Stevens is great for carrying on the tradition.  When asked even at the draft combine how he approaches interviews, he said he tries to just say one good thing about each prospect:  though not tipping off what the team is really interested in.  Stevens doesn't get into questions like should Isiah Thomas start or come off the bench.  Everything is about team and wining. 

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
i remember turning off the sound on tv to listen to johnny most or listen to radio because games weren't televised very much ,in those days the garden was lucky to sell out even during playoffs
i think johnny most was a secret weapon at least he got me going
tommy has carried on the homer tradition and i love em.
i'm getting old now and i have been ill and the magic of celtics basketbal lthe last half of the season and brad stevens carrying the banner of celtics tradition has helped considerably
-i once played at old boston garden under all those banners in state tournament,on that old parquet floor and i can tell you it had dead spots
-there was a awesome feeling looking up and playing a sport i truly loved with rollie massimino a inspirational coach that taught man to man pressure help defence and work and a team philosphy-we played top seeded and undefeated jamiaca plain and ran and pressured them and like villanova upset them-
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:06:14 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 01:12:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sadly Celtics pride is not shown by the whole team.  There are a few who do not always try on D and give their best.   It is not about talk, it is about on the court.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 01:26:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
and ask little ol butler
You namedrop NBA gods like Cousy, Jones, Havlicek and Bird ... hall of fame players who dominated during their eras...  And then seem to suggest that it's all about "teamwork and passing".  I mean, sure...  teamwork and passing are important.  LeBron James is one of the best team player/passers in the league... he also happens to be an NBA supernova that can wipe the floor with us in 4 short games almost by himself.   

I'm excited for the season too.   Should be a .500 team, but hopefully we find a superstar before the season is out, because our best case scenario with this current roster is "overachieving also-ran".  I also find it slightly difficult to get TOO attached to this team when I feel like half of the guys are sitting ducks.  Trades are inevitable with this roster.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:32:37 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:10:03 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Although I sometimes get frustrated with rollie mass's punctuation, I appreciate his enthusiasm and sense of history (I've been a fan since 1968) and would miss his posts if he weren't on the forum. 

About ready to jump out of my pants.... is it Tuesday yet??

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 04:35:16 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Although I sometimes get frustrated with rollie mass's punctuation, I appreciate his enthusiasm and sense of history (I've been a fan since 1968) and would miss his posts if he weren't on the forum. 

About ready to jump out of my pants.... is it Tuesday yet??
  TP to you.Sorry about punctuation.Its getting so close.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 04:46:58 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
and ask little ol butler
You namedrop NBA gods like Cousy, Jones, Havlicek and Bird ... hall of fame players who dominated during their eras...  And then seem to suggest that it's all about "teamwork and passing".  I mean, sure...  teamwork and passing are important.  LeBron James is one of the best team player/passers in the league... he also happens to be an NBA supernova that can wipe the floor with us in 4 short games almost by himself.   

I'm excited for the season too.   Should be a .500 team, but hopefully we find a superstar before the season is out, because our best case scenario with this current roster is "overachieving also-ran".  I also find it slightly difficult to get TOO attached to this team when I feel like half of the guys are sitting ducks.  Trades are inevitable with this roster.
i wake up everyday with a picture on my dresser of cousy with me after we had just played together and against each other in an exhibition game--i went to jungle jim luscotof basketball camps,bought a tommy heinson watercolor at auction and was coached by rollie massimino and was an overachiever and team first player--didn't mean to name drop---build it and they will come

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 07:23:11 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I started following the Celtics in the early 1970s. I played basketball for my school team and, as we got older, we played in an open age men's comp (won one title). I used to go to the library at school to get the 'Sports Illustrated'. These were kept up to date and often featured the C's. Games were played on TV occasionally and I fell in love with; Bird, Archibald, McHale and Parish.

I should add that, living in Sydney - Australia, the main game I played was Rugby League. I was team Captain and goal kicker and mostly lived for Rugby League. Pre the internet I sought out whatever information I could get about the Celtics. When I started teaching I had a Dee Brown poster up for a while in my classroom.

Then along came 'The Truth' and the ability to check more closely on what was happening with the Celtics on the internet. I absorbed whatever I could about the team's history and greats. Then came 2008, it was the most magical thing. I was nearly 50 years old, coaching rugby League at school and in the community, but the most important thing that had happened that year to me was to see the Celtics beat the Lakers and feel like I was, as a fan, a part of history because I understood the importance of the Celtics historically and to me and how this franchise had made this happen.

I have never seen a Celtics game live and live about as far from where the games are played as one could get (and still live on planet Earth). I love being being a Celtics fan though and feel special, despite the distance. Not sure it would have been the same if all those years ago I had started reading about any other team in those Sport Illustrated.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Means hating on the Laker s

Non stop..

;D