Author Topic: John Henson gets 4-year, $44 million extension  (Read 5252 times)

Re: John Henson gets 4-year, $44 million extension
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Meh, I don't see it as being all the ridiculous. Henson is a starting center on a playoff team that averages 2 blocks a game, a PER of 18 and is only 24 years old.

I don't think it's a bad deal, but I doubt he'll be starting so that's a lot of money to give to a backup C.

Parker
Giannis
Monroe
Carter-Williams
Middleton

I doubt Parker will thrown into a starter role in basically his rookie year, after a significant injury.

My thoughts as well. With this contract I see that starting five as:

Carter-Williams
Middleton
Giannis
Monroe
Henson

with
Mayo -6th
Parker - 7th
Plumlee - 8th
Bayless - 9th
Vasquez-10th

As mentioned, Parker started every game and was actually the frontrunner for ROY before his injury. The Bucks lack spacing and I can't see Monroe/Henson (like Monroe/Drummond) playing well together because neither has any range.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/MIL/milwaukee-bucks

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/milwaukee-bucks-team-depth-chart

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/mil/milwaukee-bucks

Just checked and basically everyone has a Bucks starting 5 of Parker, Giannis, Monroe, MCW, Middleton/

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Meh, I don't see it as being all the ridiculous. Henson is a starting center on a playoff team that averages 2 blocks a game, a PER of 18 and is only 24 years old. He can potentially be a nice defensive anchor and with the core the bucks are starting to develop he could end up being a steal at 11 mil. Compared to the other deals that we are going to start seeing, this isn't terrible to me in anyway. I think him and Monroe can eventually be a pretty decent pairing.

All true. However, I am highly skeptical of how Giannis will find space in all of this, considering he isn't necessarily a 3pt threat.

Also, it's pretty cool to see the contrast of Milwaukee aiming for the league's longest/lankiest lineup, while Boston is centered around 4 bulldozing undersized players (Smart, Sully, IT, Jae)

Don't forget Giannis  is 20 years old and has only had 2 seasons.
If you look at his overall shooting improvements in those 2 seasons the potential is definitely there. He's a superstar project and came into the league extremely raw. Couple this with the fact that they basically forced him not to shoot threes last season...we should probably expect to see them add this skill to his game as part of the development over the next 2 years.

I've always interpreted their plan with him akin to a 'building block' project, adding new tools to the army knife slowly  and solidly.
 First year was about establishing defensive awareness and defensive skill. Second year they've had him playing point forward to hone his offensive awareness whilst developing his transition game.

Year three we will start to see him take it to the hole and attempt more 16 feet + shots and threes.

To think that he's  twenty is pretty mind boggling.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:28:26 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Quote from: Who

The guy has shown himself to be nothing more than a useful backup center. That is a huge contract for a player who has shown so little in his career.

Just go ahead and keep this one saved so you can post it when Tyler Zeller and Festus Ezeli get the same kind of deal.

Or Tristan Thompson for that matter.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The guy has shown himself to be nothing more than a useful backup center. That is a huge contract for a player who has shown so little in his career.

Just go ahead and keep this one saved so you can post it when Tyler Zeller and Festus Ezeli get the same kind of deal.

Yup.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Yup.

The Tristan Thompson deal is going to be scary... lol

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Meh, I don't see it as being all the ridiculous. Henson is a starting center on a playoff team that averages 2 blocks a game, a PER of 18 and is only 24 years old. He can potentially be a nice defensive anchor and with the core the bucks are starting to develop he could end up being a steal at 11 mil. Compared to the other deals that we are going to start seeing, this isn't terrible to me in anyway. I think him and Monroe can eventually be a pretty decent pairing.

Calling him a starting center on a playoff team is a generous description of what happened ...

Henson started 11 (regular season) games for Milwaukee last season. 11!

That was less than Larry Sanders, Zaza Pachulia ... even Jonny O'Bryant (15 starts).

Henson was a DNP coaches decision for almost as many games as he started. Henson was a 3rd string center for longer than he was a starter. And a 3rd string center & DNP center for about half the season. Then Henson was a backup center for another 3rd of the season. Then a brief spell as a starter for only 11 games.

And Henson played badly as a starter ... the odd good game outweighed by a bunch of bad games ... which is why he wasn't able to hold onto that starting position and got moved back to the bench. 

.... and saying Henson anchored their defense! ... that is like saying Luc Lonley was the anchor to the great Chicago Bulls defense. Milwaukee's strong defense was due to to their players 1 through 4 and in spite of the below par defensive play they got from their center position. Henson blocked some shots but so does guys like JaVale McGee. Neither one of them is a defensive anchor. Neither is he a good man defender. Henson is still skinny and gets pushed around with ease which is why a mediocre center like Zaza Pachulia got so many more minutes than him.

The guy has shown himself to be nothing more than a useful backup center. That is a huge contract for a player who has shown so little in his career. A huge premium for perceived potential ... if this is the line for new contracts, this is ... I don't even know how to judge any of these new contracts anymore. This is incredible.
you should copy and paste this into every "trade for John Henson" trade thread that seems to pop up every month

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 01:14:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Meh, I don't see it as being all the ridiculous. Henson is a starting center on a playoff team that averages 2 blocks a game, a PER of 18 and is only 24 years old.

I don't think it's a bad deal, but I doubt he'll be starting so that's a lot of money to give to a backup C.

Parker
Giannis
Monroe
Carter-Williams
Middleton

I doubt Parker will thrown into a starter role in basically his rookie year, after a significant injury.

My thoughts as well. With this contract I see that starting five as:

Carter-Williams
Middleton
Giannis
Monroe
Henson

with
Mayo -6th
Parker - 7th
Plumlee - 8th
Bayless - 9th
Vasquez-10th

As mentioned, Parker started every game and was actually the frontrunner for ROY before his injury. The Bucks lack spacing and I can't see Monroe/Henson (like Monroe/Drummond) playing well together because neither has any range.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/MIL/milwaukee-bucks

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/milwaukee-bucks-team-depth-chart

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/mil/milwaukee-bucks

Just checked and basically everyone has a Bucks starting 5 of Parker, Giannis, Monroe, MCW, Middleton/
I don't see Henson pushing Parker out of the starting line-up.  Henson will be fighting with Plumlee for playing time behind Monroe.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
There's not going to be much of a fight: Plumlee flat out isn't going to play. He's a 27-year-old third stringer.

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 02:25:28 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Henson will probably play to justify the contract, but Plumlee is probably better than him right now.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
There's not going to be much of a fight: Plumlee flat out isn't going to play. He's a 27-year-old third stringer.

Agreed.  Though I like Miles Plumlee; you're in good shape if you have him as a 3rd string center.  Sort of like Joel Anthony.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Henson will probably play to justify the contract, but Plumlee is probably better than him right now.

Given that he lost his starting role in Phoenix and was demoted to third-string center behind a second-year player and midseason acquisition Brandan Wright before being traded to Milwaukee, where he also was the third-string center, I'm tempted to challenge that assertion.

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 04:23:26 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93

Given that he lost his starting role in Phoenix and was demoted to third-string center behind a second-year player and midseason acquisition Brandan Wright before being traded to Milwaukee, where he also was the third-string center, I'm tempted to challenge that assertion.
Fair point, honestly I watched him and thought he was good when he started on the suns - didn't look too much into what happened after.

I still don't think Henson does anything that means he HAS to be a rotation, but I guess Plumlee doesn't either.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 07:10:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Everyone thinking it would be insane for Zeller to get an $11-12 mil deal should be rethinking that position. Henson is a much better shot blocker but he's not better at, really, anything else. I would expect Zeller's next contract to be within the same ballpark as Henson's.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 08:48:51 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

All true. However, I am highly skeptical of how Giannis will find space in all of this, considering he isn't necessarily a 3pt threat.

Also, it's pretty cool to see the contrast of Milwaukee aiming for the league's longest/lankiest lineup, while Boston is centered around 4 bulldozing undersized players (Smart, Sully, IT, Jae)
antetokounmpo has shot 3s at at rate of 29.6% in his first two years in the nba.

you win the understatement of the month award. you may pick it on your out. ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva