Author Topic: Thompson does not sign QO from Cavs  (Read 11585 times)

Thompson does not sign QO from Cavs
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He is still a restricted free agent, but the onus is now on both teams to work a deal.  If Thompson thinks some team will give him the max next summer, he can try to work out a trade now.

The Cavs have offered 5 yrs, 80 million.  Thompson initially wanted a 5 yr, 94 million deal, but recently has requested 3 yrs, 53 million. 

Pretty interesting situation in Cleveland.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Thompson does not sign QO from Cavs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:19:30 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
all of those numbers discussed are insane to me because I don't think TT is that good.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 10:25:43 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
all of those numbers discussed are insane to me because I don't think TT is that good.

fully agreed....TT is good but not THAT good.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The Cavs have offered a deal in line with some of the recent contracts, like Draymond Green.  I can't see them going much above what they have offered for a back-up PF (because let's face it that is all Thompson is for them). 

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Yeah, that's true.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Agreed.

What a bonehead. I hope no other team gives him an offer and the Cavs don't come close to giving him what he wants, forcing him to sit out for part of the season. Like really dude? You fit a good role playing fit for the Cavs alongside Lebron but with three all stars on the team, you're trying to be paid like a max to be a 7th man? Get real.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Perhaps we could send a guy from OSU, here who is also due an extension,  to them for a rental of Thompson to evaluate him.  Cap space for us, for them, they get a home town kid, convey their pick that will be a second rounder back to them, and we get arguably the better player in the deal.  That being said, I doubt they would do it.  Could be a lateral move, too.

Few weeks ago, I read that Ainge was thinking about Horford or Thompson in a move.    It was a rumor and denied.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Perhaps we could send a guy from OSU, here who is also due an extension,  to them for a rental of Thompson to evaluate him.  Cap space for us, for them, they get a home town kid, convey their pick that will be a second rounder back to them, and we get arguably the better player in the deal.  That being said, I doubt they would do it.  Could be a lateral move, too.

Few weeks ago, I read that Ainge was thinking about Horford or Thompson in a move.    It was a rumor and denied.
Thompson isn't under contract, the only way to acquire him is a sign and trade and if you do that you are going to have to pay him.  If you are willing to do a 4 yr max for him, I could see some trade options, though without Wallace it is more difficult.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think Jared Sullinger is better than Thompson and the fact this guy thinks he's month more than $10 million a year is a disgrace. Grabs a few rebounds and can sometimes defend the pick and roll.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

I don't think the issue is wether overall he is "that good" or not . HE is clearly a presence on the boards especially the offensive ones.   That is probably the only aspect of the Cavs which "may" be an issue. TT is already familiar with the offense and defensive sets. Yea, they can bring in someone fresh for less but will they mold properly into the team??. Im pretty sure the question for the Cav's now is, do they want to pay TT whatever amount he wants to keep him and the teams chemistry building assuming he does what he did last season (especially to us). Or do they just assume someone will replicate his role based how this team sets up players like Delladova to over achieve

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I don't think the issue is wether overall he is "that good" or not . HE is clearly a presence on the board especially the offensive ones.   That is probably the only aspect of the Cavs which "may" be an issue. TT is already familiar with the offense and defensive sets. Yea, they can bring in someone fresh for less but will they mold properly into the team??. Im pretty sure the question for the Cav's now is, do they want to pay TT whatever amount he wants to keep him and the teams chemistry building assuming he does what he did last season (especially to us). Or do they just assume someone will replicate his role

Well, Varejao is ready to go this season, and if he can stay healthy, he brings all the things TT would bring and more experience. I don't think they need to be desperate to overpay TT.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I don't think the issue is wether overall he is "that good" or not . HE is clearly a presence on the board especially the offensive ones.   That is probably the only aspect of the Cavs which "may" be an issue. TT is already familiar with the offense and defensive sets. Yea, they can bring in someone fresh for less but will they mold properly into the team??. Im pretty sure the question for the Cav's now is, do they want to pay TT whatever amount he wants to keep him and the teams chemistry building assuming he does what he did last season (especially to us). Or do they just assume someone will replicate his role

Well, Varejao is ready to go this season, and if he can stay healthy, he brings all the things TT would bring and more experience. I don't think they need to be desperate to overpay TT.
Plus, it isn't like they really need what Thompson brings if they are healthy.  He is a role player for them and most of what he does a veteran on a minimum contract could do. 

The real advantage he brings is insurance for Love, Mozgov, and Varejao and in that there is real value.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Agreed -- gambling on Sideshow Andy and Love to stay on the floor is not a smart bet.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Agreed -- gambling on Sideshow Andy and Love to stay on the floor is not a smart bet.

Sure, but its not worth overpaying a guy with a limited skill set at near max money just for insurance either. They can do better for less money. They also still have Mozgov and Sasha Kaun. I think TT is taking full advantage of the fact that Lebron wants to keep him, and is using that to rape their GM in contract talks.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Hypothetically, sure, but who's on the market right now that you'd replace him with?