Author Topic: Patience is a Virtue (2016 Offseason Trade Idea)  (Read 3927 times)

Patience is a Virtue (2016 Offseason Trade Idea)
« on: September 30, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Before reading my trade proposal here are a few details you should know about Sacramento's future draft picks:

1) Sacramento currently owes its 2016 first round draft pick to Chicago if it falls between 11-30. If the pick is top 10, Philly has the right to swap its 2016 1st round pick with Sacramento's.

Prediction: Sacramento will play well enough this year to avoid having a top 10 pick, thus conveying their 2016 pick to Chicago.

2) If Sacramento conveys a 1st round pick to Chicago in 2016, then Philadelphia has the right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Sacramento's 2017 1st round pick

Prediction: Regardless of who is traded from Sacramento or who stays, Philly will still be the worst of the two teams, thus giving them no incentive to make the swap (barring the Kings jump into top 3 in the lottery).

**IF for whatever reason (the below trade?) SAC ends up with a better pick than the Sixers in 2017, the Sixers will swap, which still leaves the Kings with a lottery pick.**

3) Sacramento's 1st round pick to Philadelphia protected for selections 1-10 in 2018 (conveyable if Sacramento conveys a 1st round pick to Chicago in 2016) and unprotected in 2019 [Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015]

Prediction: Sacramento is once again a top 10 lottery team in 2018 (because of the below trade), meaning the pick becomes unprotected in 2019. Hopefully the Kings are ready to make the playoffs in 2019 or else they'll regret having to owe the Sixers a lottery pick for that year.

THE FOLLOWING TRADE PROPOSAL IS TO BE COMPLETED AFTER THE 2015-16 SEASON & BEFORE THE END OF THE 2016 DRAFT:

TO BOS: Cousins, Gay

TO SAC: SULLY (if SAC agrees to a S&T-maybe @ around 12M a yr?) or Amir Johnson, Bradley, Olynyk, Young, Rozier, 2016 Brooklyn 1st round pick, two of our 2016 2nd round picks

Why for the Kings?

1) An expedited rebuild.

2) They get 2 young PFs in Sully & Olynyk who can shoot the 3 ball.

3) They get Bradley who can either start or come off the bench behind McLemore.

4) They get James Young who will continue to develop in SAC (hopefully he wouldn't make us regret this trade--a.k.a Billups/Joe Johnson).

5) They receive Brooklyn's lottery pick this year, plus an additional two picks if we get to keep Rozier (see below), as well as two of the 2016 2nd round picks we own

I believe Rozier has the potential to be a star. He is the only player in this deal that I'm hesitant to trade. Would the Kings take the 2016 Dallas pick? Maybe our 2016 1st round pick & the Minnesota 1st place of TRozay? I only put him in this trade proposal for the sake of making the most competitive offer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why for the Celtics?

Easy....We finally get Boogie as our Center! We also get Rudy Gay who is a far better player than he is perceived to be. After this trade the Celtics would likely still have the right to swap picks with Brooklyn in 2017, the unprotected Brooklyn pick in 2018, 2018 Memphis pick (becomes unprotected in 2021), and a slew of other team's 2nd round picks between 2016-2020. We'd still have our own picks beyond 2016 as well.

Our starting lineup in 2016-17 would be:

IT4/Rozier?
Smart/Hunter
Gay/Crowder/Jones or Turner
Johnson or Sully?/Jerebko/Mickey
Cousins/Zeller

I believe either Jones or Turner will be traded before the 2015-16 season starts, or Jones will simply be waived.

Lee is not in the 2016-17 lineup because I'm not sure if we'd want/be able to re-sign him.

I'm assuming Zeller gets a contract extension unless he's traded mid season or in a sign & trade following this season. If he's not extended, Lee may become an immediate option depending on what he wants in contract negotiations.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I proposing we give up too little or too many assets? Thanks to Danny (AND BILLY KING) We can always add more!

Thoughts???
[/size]

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:12:11 PM by CsBanner18 »

Re: Patience is a Virtue (2016 Offseason Trade Idea)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Losing your best player who is still 25 years old doesn't expedite a rebuild, it basically forces it to reboot from scratch.  It's not going to happen unless Cousins makes himself so toxic that we might not want him anyway.  Or perhaps if Brooklyn got a top 3 pick and Sacramento really, really coveted someone up there.   I just don't see it.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 01:42:44 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Losing your best player who is still 25 years old doesn't expedite a rebuild, it basically forces it to reboot from scratch.  It's not going to happen unless Cousins makes himself so toxic that we might not want him anyway.  Or perhaps if Brooklyn got a top 3 pick and Sacramento really, really coveted someone up there.   I just don't see it.

I meant an expedited rebuild. And by expedited I meant 2-3 years...(its hard to rebuild any quicker than that)

This lineup would give the Kings more lottery picks in addition to the Brooklyn pick:

Collison
Bradley/McLemore
Casspi/Belinelli/Young
Sully/Olynyk
Koufos/Stein

2017 lotto pick (either their own or Philly's)
2018 lotto pick (their own)

3 consecutive lottery picks, plus young guys like WCS, Sully, KO, Bradley, & Young would likely get the Kings in contention quicker than keeping DMC would. Yeah he's 25, but by the end of his contract he'll be 27. He likely won't re-sign unless the Kings are a playoff threat (which I believe that is unlikely). SAC would be Smart to begin building a team to contend for titles starting in 2020's...

But like you said, it'll all depend on how the Kings play this year. I hope they're a .500 team or below.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 01:54:59 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
We need a subsection of the Transaction Ideas board called "Stupid Demarcus Cousins trade ideas."
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
2) They get 2 young PFs in Sully & Olynyk who can shoot the 3 ball.

I think Sully not coming to camp with more weight loss hurts his value somewhat.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 03:28:29 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
We need a subsection of the Transaction Ideas board called "Stupid Demarcus Cousins trade ideas."

Minus the stupid part I would agree since it's no surprise that most fans want Cousins in Boston. Nothing about my trade is stupid. In fact, it is well thought out and very considerate for both teams.

What we really need is a subsection under All Topics dedicated to "Rude Users" who reply to the posts of others primarily to bash their ideas instead of explaining why they don't agree with them...

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 03:36:34 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum

Minus the stupid part I would agree since it's no surprise that most fans want Cousins in Boston. Nothing about my trade is stupid. In fact, it is well thought out and very considerate for both teams.

What we really need is a subsection under All Topics dedicated to "Rude Users" who reply to the posts of others primarily to bash their ideas instead of explaining why they don't agree with them...
It's stupid because the Kings aren't going to give up Demarcus Cousins for a few medicore players and a draft pick.

I didn't say that because it's been said on the 20 previous "trade for Cousins" threads. Yours isn't any different.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 03:49:09 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I was just saying that this forum needed another trade idea for Boogie...

Said nobody ever
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

It's stupid because the Kings aren't going to give up Demarcus Cousins for a few medicore players and a draft pick.

I didn't say that because it's been said on the 20 previous "trade for Cousins" threads. Yours isn't any different.

Patience is a Virtue...right now all you see is a bunch of "mediocre players" & a draft pick (I offered more than one pick btw). By season's end its possible everyone will be talking about how good our young players are. One thing I'm pretty positive of is that we'll be talking about how Brooklyn gift wrapped us a lottery pick (likely top 5-7). I think people conveniently forget the value of a lottery pick.

Ainge saw first hand how hard it was to acquire one when he tried trading for Winslow. 1) Charlotte liked Kaminsky. 2) Charlotte had no idea what trades or signings Brooklyn would make in the offseason, which could've easily diminished the perceived value of the Brooklyn picks

If we have 2 top 14 picks (Brooklyn & possibly Dallas), all of our future picks, plus some good young talent, I'm not trying to hear we can't trade for Cousins. TIME WILL TELL....

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Firstly, TP for a well reasoned trade proposal.

I think it's a very attractive offer for Sacramento, but it all depends on what the Kings management feel about their direction. As it stands they seem to be intent on building a playoff team NOW. If it becomes clear that this core can't contend, which seems clear to everyone else, maybe they strip it down. But I see that as quite unlikely.

If they do decide to trade Boogie for a rebuilding package then that is a hell of a package to offer.

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Just curious -- how many players who are top 5 at their position have been traded at age 25, and what did they net in return?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Firstly, TP for a well reasoned trade proposal.

I think it's a very attractive offer for Sacramento, but it all depends on what the Kings management feel about their direction. As it stands they seem to be intent on building a playoff team NOW. If it becomes clear that this core can't contend, which seems clear to everyone else, maybe they strip it down. But I see that as quite unlikely.

If they do decide to trade Boogie for a rebuilding package then that is a hell of a package to offer.

Couldn't have summed it up better myself! It all depends on how the Kings play this year. They could somehow make playoffs, but I think it's more likely they're a .500 team or worse. Given the history between DMC and the franchise, going into the final season of his contract without a contending team would be like asking him not to re-sign. So if Cousins is going to be traded it should be this season or next. Every team is aware that the C's have a plethora of draft picks in 2016. I think the Kings would be smart if they took advantage then. ONLY TIME WILL TELL...

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
It's a well thought out thread and trade, but I doubt you'll be able to get Cousins and Gay and not have to give up Smart, even though you've already included some good picks in there. But TP!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 10:20:46 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's a good proposal/idea, and please ignore the anti Cousins trade posts- if you don't like Cousins trade ideas then it's simple..Don't click the thread lol.

I think if he is going to be traded with one year left on his deal then we don't need to send that much their way. The only way I could see a deal like your proposal occurring is if Cousins demands to be traded.

I 100% agree with you that Rozier has serious star potential and would do anything to keep him and Smart.

To get him in a Sacto meltdown scenario where he asks to be traded is where I think something like the 2016 Brooklyn pick+Sully+Hunter+Zeller would probably be enough and they'd throw Gay in with him.

To get him via a Sacto request/proposal from front office meltdowns is where your suggested treasure chest would come into play and our the allure of our Brooklyn picks may work.

Interesting thing about all these ideas is that it makes you wonder if a guy like Amir was signed as a trade asset with his great contract, or as a viable PF option next to Cousins if we somehow got him. Probably both. Obvious problem as you've pointed out is that Amir's salary would need to go out if we took Gay as well. and the other question is whether Stevens would prefer a grinding solid pick and roll power forward with a defensive mindset like Amir, or a stretch forward to give Cuz the space he would thrive in ie Olynyk.

Who knows, but it would be an awesome line up one day of

Rozier
Smart
Gay
Johnson
Cousins

with guys like IT, Crowder, Zeller off the bench.

Who knows, maybe Rondo will make things even worse in Sacto with Karl and Cuz and the Kings would be happy with Sully+our Brooklyn pick+ Dallas picks this year- would they really find a better offer than that with barely one year left on his deal?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 11:27:40 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 11:20:18 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
I'm sorry but you guys are delusional. Kevin Love was in the EXACT scenario you guys are hoping for - last year of the deal and the player basically said trade me or I leave for nothing. Minnesota got Andrew freaking Wiggins! Teams basically never sell their stars for some scrappy guards and a mediocre power forward, because they know they can wait for the crazy overpay offer, and even if it never comes there will always be a team to give them something in the ballpark of what you are proposing. I think you guys are incorrect in thinking the C's would have any leverage in this situation.
I'm forum!