Author Topic: Derrick Rose needs surgery on fractured face  (Read 7905 times)

Re: Derrick Rose needs surgery on fractured face
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Walking glass

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 11:24:54 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If Rose plays past 30 years old, I be shock..
He'll keep playing because he wants to get paid again under the new TV deal.

Yea, even though he already publicly admitted that the team who pays him is not his priority, and he doesn't care if he misses games because he's more concerned about his future personal life and business ventures.

To quote Rose:
“I’m thinking about long term. I’m thinking about after I’m done with basketball. Having graduations to go to, having meetings to go to, I don’t want to be in my meetings all sore or be at my son’s graduation all sore just because of something I did in the past. [I’m] just learning and being smart.”

Absolutely loved Charles Barkley's response to it also:
“That was stupid. Derrick Rose is a great player, he’s a great kid. Love his mom. That was stupid. You know, Ernie, we’re so blessed. I limp around but I go home to a big ol’ mansion. There’s people who work harder than Derrick Rose who go home to a shack.

There are consequences to what we do for a living. We got the best life in the world. I’m a poor black kid from Leeds, Alabama who grew up in the projects — and listen, I don’t mind limping around because when I go home, there’s a big ol’ house. I got good sheets — I don’t know the thread count, but they’re good. I got a big ol’ car. I never have to worry about my bills. There are pros and cons to what we do for a living. Derrick Rose is making $20 million a year. He got a couple bad knees. That’s disrespectful to maids, people who are in the army who go out and kill people and get killed. They got no arms and no legs. As much as I like Derrick Rose, that is just flat-out stupid.”

Absolutely.

You don't want to go to your kids graduations and to meetings "all sore"? Then retire from the game and hand back the $40M that is owed to you over the next two seasons.

This guy is still an entitled, prima-donna attitude so typical of modern day athletes.  I have no sympathy for the ignorant tool.

Does that sound mean? Good!

People like him are the reason this world is getting messed up.  People who feel they are entitled to being sheltered and pampered, and who feel like they have no need to take responsibility for anything.   

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:34:37 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 11:54:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As usual, Charles Barkley's stupidity in commentary rivals the heights of his play on the basketball court.

The people who are ignorant fools are the athletes that never think about life after hoops.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 02:13:08 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
As usual, Charles Barkley's stupidity in commentary rivals the heights of his play on the basketball court.

The people who are ignorant fools are the athletes that never think about life after hoops.

As always, I must remind people that for these guys basketball is a job - not just a hobby or a past time. 

Some guys make a living digging trenches, driving trucks or moving boxes.  These guys make a living playing basketball.  This very game they play is what pays their bills.  It's what puts food on the table, a roof overhead, a car in the driveway.   

Some jobs expect you to make more compromise (or take more risk) than others do.  As a result, these jobs often pay substantially more. 

For example a manager/supervisor may get paid more than a general laborer - but then that manager / supervisor may also have to take on more responsibility, deal with more stress, work longer hours, etc. 

If you value your lifestyle too much and don't want to accept that extra stress/responsibility that a higher pay job may require then the solution is simple - quit your job, get a regular job like everybody else.  You get paid less, but you also stress less.  Don't accept the manager position, accept the extra money, and then spend your days complaining the hours and the stress levels. 

Same deal here.  If you're getting paid unfathomable amounts of money for your job, then shut up and deal with it.  Otherwise retire, forfeit your sizeable income, and work a regular job like everybody else. 

I'm tired of hearing professional basketball players complain about having pain, or complaining about getting unfairly treated in the media, or complaining about financial struggles.  You know what you're getting into before you sign the dotted line, so either:

a) Shut the mouth an deal with it or
b) Get another job

These people get to live in luxury every day of their lives.  They get to put their kids through the best universities in the world.  They get to send their family on every holiday they can imagine anywhere in the world.  They get VIP access to restaurants and venues that only celebrities get.  They get to retire in lavish luxury at the age of 35, having owned just about anything and everything they have ever dreamed of.  If they play their cards right then their parents, their siblings and their children will never have to struggle financially a day in their lives.

THIS is what you are sacrificing for. 

He isn't playing through pain solely for his love of the  Chicago Bulls uniform.  He isn't playing through pain so that he can set records and make his name in history.  He isn't playing through pain so that he can stand there with his teammates while they receive their championship rings together.

No, that's not the only reason he should be busting his butt.  He should be busting his butt for his team because they are the ones who pay him his $20m a year, and it's that $20m a year that ensures that he (and everybody he loves and cares about) are taken care of for the rest of their lives.

If going to your son's graduation with a limp or going in to meetings with a sore leg is what you have to do in order to allow your family (and every future generation that comes after them) to live an amazing life of comfort and luxury the for goodness sake that is what you do.

If you don't care that much about your family that you don't want to sacrifice a bit of leg pain to give them that amazing life, then there are many other jobs out there which pay substantially less, but won't require you to make such sacrifices.

There are men and woman out there who would give life and limb for the opportunity to provide that type of life for their family - this kid gets to give his children the best life imaginable and complains about a bit of leg pain.  What a whiny, childish little brat.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:41:56 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 02:41:59 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I for one, am tired of hearing people complaining about athletes complaining.

The Chicago Bulls have made much more money off of Derrick Rose than Derrick Rose will ever make from the Chicago Bulls. Likewise Adidas, etc. The fiscal arrangement is, then, exactly the same as employers and employees around the world, famous or not. It really doesn't matter what he does, it really doesn't matter how much he makes: he has the right to determine what's correct for him, and if asked about it he can answer how he pleases. Unless you don't think anyone should ever complain about their jobs. I don't think that's particularly reasonable.

Rose is (or was) in the top athletic .000000001% of the population and is being paid accordingly. After the Chicago Bulls basically killed Luol Deng, I'd hold them up to more scrutiny than the players.

Aside:
In general, I will never understand why people get so upset about other people's grievances simply because of how much money they make, and frankly it seems like a completely absurd qualifier with a very small range of acceptability. Not earning enough money? Get a job, Lebowski! Earning too much money? Shut up and sit down.

I just want to know -- how much money should I be making where I can complain about my job without being part of  the class who is being sheltered and pampered, but still have a job that won't make people tell me I should find something better?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 03:09:55 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I for one, am tired of hearing people complaining about athletes complaining.

The Chicago Bulls have made much more money off of Derrick Rose than Derrick Rose will ever make from the Chicago Bulls. Likewise Adidas, etc. The fiscal arrangement is, then, exactly the same as employers and employees around the world, famous or not. It really doesn't matter what he does, it really doesn't matter how much he makes: he has the right to determine what's correct for him, and if asked about it he can answer how he pleases.

Rose is (or was) in the top athletic .000000001% of the population and is being paid accordingly. After the Chicago Bulls basically killed Luol Deng, I'd hold them up to more scrutiny than the players.

Aside:
In general, I will never understand why people get so upset about other people's grievances simply because of how much money they make, and frankly it seems like a completely absurd qualifier with a very small range of acceptability. Not earning enough money? Get a job, Lebowski! Earning too much money? Shut up and sit down.

I just want to know -- how much money should I be making where I can complain about my job without being part of  the class who is being sheltered and tampered, but still have a job that won't make people tell me I should find something better?

There is a simply answer for this.

The average salary across 7 main categories in Chicago is $55,000 per year.  Derek Rose currently makes approximately 363x more than this.

Therefore Derek Rose's salary could pay the average wage of 363 unemployed men or women.

Being in the athletic top 0.000000001% of the population means nothing if you aren't making full use of that athletic ability. 

You make $20m a year because your team pays you that.  Your team pays you that because of the income they have coming in.  The team has that income coming in because of the fans who buy merchandise, buy tickets and watch games. 

Without the fans, there is no league.  Without the league there is no $20m salary.  Do don't insult your fans (most of whom probably have a life 10x harder than yours) by complaining that poor baby might have sore legs one day if you give it your all.  You fans work hard jobs for a LOT less money than you do, but they still by tickets to your games, buy your merchandise, by your shoes, pay for cable so they can watch your games. Your fans essentially pay the money for you to live the ultimate lifestyle, so the least you can do is get out there and give them their money's worth. 

If Basketball didn't exist, then the fans would find some other way to entertain themselves.  But if the fans didn't exist, then Derek Rose would be living a VERY different lifestyle.

Don't go out in public saying you don't care what the fans think, when they raise question marks about your effort and your dedication.  Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Respect the fans that pay for the luxurious way of life that you enjoy (and arguably abuse) on a daily basis.

Why should you HAVE to go and bust your butt to make some people you don't know happy?    Because that's the career you chose.

If you aren't willing to bust your butt every day to satisfy the fans who pay your salary, then give some of that salary back so that the team can hire somebody who is.

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 03:11:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I just want to know -- how much money should I be making where I can complain about my job without being part of  the class who is being sheltered and pampered, but still have a job that won't make people tell me I should find something better?

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 03:37:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

If you are making double what an average human in your locality makes, then you should expect your job to involve significantly more effort, risk or responsibility.

If that is your scenario, then your life is fair.  Ultimately you are just getting back what you are putting in, so you have the right to slip in the occasional complain from time to time.

If you are making double what an average human in your locality does and your job doesn't involve significantly more effort, risk or responsibility than you should consider yourself very lucky, and should be extremely grateful for what you have.  You have no right to complain.

If you are making upwards of 300x more than the average human in your locality does then there is no possible way your job could involve THAT much more effort, risk or responsibility responsibility - so you should simply but in the absolute greatest amount of effort that is physically and mentally possible, and you should STILL consider yourself very lucky, and be extremely grateful for what you have.  You have no right to complain.

A guy like Derek Rose could take a massive pay cut (I'm talking sacrificing 75% of his income) to drop down to a $5m contract, then happily take on reduced stress, reduced responsibility, reduced expectations.  He'd STILL be making 100x more than he average human in Chicago.

Or he could accept a Vet Min contract and he'd still be getting paid about 20x more than the average person in Chicago - and then he would barely be expected to even step on the court.

So yes, playing 'when you feel like it' AND complaining about it, all while you are being paid >300x more than the average person in Chicago does indeed make you look like a spoiled brat.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:48:27 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 04:43:03 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
I wouldn't be too hard on the guy for thinking about his future after his career is over, unless you have walked a mile in his shoes you can't tell what going through all those injuries and rehabs has done to his thought process, very few players have gone through what he has the last 4 years or so.
Whether the guy gets 20 mil or the league minimum it has got to wear you down to some degree.
I give him credit for his honesty.
Pro athletes can feel indestructible to a certain extent, he has been given a reality check that many of them luckily don't experience.

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

If you are making double what an average human in your locality makes, then you should expect your job to involve significantly more effort, risk or responsibility.

If that is your scenario, then your life is fair.  Ultimately you are just getting back what you are putting in, so you have the right to slip in the occasional complain from time to time.

If you are making double what an average human in your locality does and your job doesn't involve significantly more effort, risk or responsibility than you should consider yourself very lucky, and should be extremely grateful for what you have.  You have no right to complain.

If you are making upwards of 300x more than the average human in your locality does then there is no possible way your job could involve THAT much more effort, risk or responsibility responsibility - so you should simply but in the absolute greatest amount of effort that is physically and mentally possible, and you should STILL consider yourself very lucky, and be extremely grateful for what you have.  You have no right to complain.

A guy like Derek Rose could take a massive pay cut (I'm talking sacrificing 75% of his income) to drop down to a $5m contract, then happily take on reduced stress, reduced responsibility, reduced expectations.  He'd STILL be making 100x more than he average human in Chicago.

Or he could accept a Vet Min contract and he'd still be getting paid about 20x more than the average person in Chicago - and then he would barely be expected to even step on the court.

So yes, playing 'when you feel like it' AND complaining about it, all while you are being paid >300x more than the average person in Chicago does indeed make you look like a spoiled brat.

The Chicago Bulls have made much more money off of Derrick Rose than Derrick Rose will ever make from the Chicago Bulls. Likewise Adidas, etc. The fiscal arrangement is, then, exactly the same as employers and employees around the world, famous or not. It really doesn't matter what he does, it really doesn't matter how much he makes: he has the right to determine what's correct for him, and if asked about it he can answer how he pleases. Unless you don't think anyone should ever complain about their jobs. I don't think that's particularly reasonable.

I'm reiterating because, IMO, how much money you make relative to other people should have zero influence on the decisions you make when it comes to your workplace environment (within reason, obviously things like not getting paid factor at all in here), and it doesn't seem particularly legitimate to make that the focal point.

Again, NBA teams have little vested interest in most of their players beyond their ability to sell merchandise, and the Bulls in particular have shown themselves to be pretty awful when it comes to taking care of their players physically, so you can't blame any Bulls player for taking extra steps to ensure their health.

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Rose is being paid 300x more than the average Chicagoan because he has a skillset possessed by less than 0.000007% of the world's population. He's not making 300x more than the average Chicagoan with average Chicagoan abilities. He's not getting paid millions in salary and endorsements to play our level of Y-quality ball.

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 11:43:43 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'm reiterating because, IMO, how much money you make relative to other people should have zero influence on the decisions you make when it comes to your workplace environment (within reason, obviously things like not getting paid factor at all in here), and it doesn't seem particularly legitimate to make that the focal point.

Again, NBA teams have little vested interest in most of their players beyond their ability to sell merchandise, and the Bulls in particular have shown themselves to be pretty awful when it comes to taking care of their players physically, so you can't blame any Bulls player for taking extra steps to ensure their health.

I agree with the sentiment expressed in that quote, except for the fact that NBA salary structure means many of the lower-end players wind up in the reverse situation.  Doug McDermott, for example, is probably being paid more by the Bulls than he'll ever make for them.  I don't think that should really change the calculus on whether he's obligated to sacrifice his health for the paycheck.

In other words, I agree with the basic conclusion, but think the profitability of specific players isn't the best rationale for it, at least not by itself.

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Maybe he did do some of the stuff he's accused of because this guy's karma is off the charts

It's like some put a Harry Potter style spell on him

This what happens to players when they don't take their SAT's. Makes me wonder if Brandon Roy really took his... hmmmmmmm

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Maybe he did do some of the stuff he's accused of because this guy's karma is off the charts

It's like some put a Harry Potter style spell on him

This what happens to players when they don't take their SAT's. Makes me wonder if Brandon Roy really took his... hmmmmmmm

FWIW Rose's defense is that whatever happened was consensual, so it's going to be mostly he-said she said.

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Tough luck, but its his face, so it won't affect his game and it should be a short timetable for return. Same thing Westbrook and Rondo had last year.

Not quite; there's several different bones that comprise the face.

Westbrook broke the lateral process of his zygomatic bone (his cheek). From all of the reports about D-Rose's injury, it's much closer to his eye and, as a result, is a more serious injury (as there could be potential complications with his vision). That wasn't really a concern with Westbrook as the injury was far from his eyes; that's why he was able to return after missing a single game.

Rose should be good for the season opener, but he won't be able to (or probably more accurately, shouldn't) make a Westbrook-style return, i.e. return during training camp or even during preseason.

As I said, looks like he will be back in two weeks, and Holberg says he expects that he will return 100% right away as this injury won't affect his game at all.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/13779669/chicago-bulls-star-derrick-rose-undergoes-surgery-left-orbital-fracture

"Derrick Rose has surgery for orbital fracture; expected back in 2 weeks"

"He's still in great spirits, and again, it's not a structural injury," Hoiberg said, adding that he texted with Rose on Tuesday night. "When he comes back ready to go he should be able to go right back into it 100 percent -- which, if you have something going on with one of your other body parts, it's going to be you gradually get back. You know, 50 percent load and then move all the way up from mid-restriction. I don't anticipate that in his case this will happen."

As I was saying, he wouldn't be returning during preseason - and now even the season opener is in question:

http://t.co/5TduzCVlay