Author Topic: Stock rising and falling in the East  (Read 3011 times)

Stock rising and falling in the East
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It goes like this in your opinion who's stock is plummeting or rising.

Stock rising

Cavs even though there already good.
 Celtics
 Wizards
 Bucks

Falling stock

Miami not a believer at all.

76ers can't go much farther.
 Charlotte they stink.
 Bulls they won't win 50 this year stock plummets to 41wins.

Re: Stock rising and falling in the East
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Stock rising

Celtics
 Wizards
 Bucks

Falling stock

Charlotte they stink.

Would love to hear a coherent argument on the Sixers stock falling. They're clearly a better team than they were last year.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
Also, I think Toronto is rising and the Nets are falling.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
How can sixes be falling if they are tanking again. Unless the tank fails and they pick like outside the top 5.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 04:00:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Stock rising

Celtics
 Wizards
 Bucks

Falling stock

Charlotte they stink.

Would love to hear a coherent argument on the Sixers stock falling. They're clearly a better team than they were last year.
how are they clearly better?  adding Okafor?  sure.  adding a top rookie that plays the same position as your best player who's going to be a second-year player this season.

Philly's still the worst team in the league.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 10:39:48 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Stock rising

Celtics
 Wizards
 Bucks

Falling stock

Charlotte they stink.

how are they clearly better?  adding Okafor?  sure.  adding a top rookie that plays the same position as your best player who's going to be a second-year player this season.

waiving Wallace made them clearly better.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 01:38:58 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Also, I think Toronto is rising and the Nets are falling.

Yeah, is not like you have to try hard to prove Phiily sucks,  and  that they are the running reoccurring joke in the NBA now, and for the next 7 years, but then they will be an unbelievable dynasty seemingly out of nowhere. Not.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 01:58:22 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
i think there should be a neutral stock. That said, in no particular order, here's my assessment of the East vs. last year:

Rising:
> Celtics - young players improving, esp. Marcus Smart
> Magic - young players improving, esp. Oladipo
> Pacers - Paul George returning
> Bucks - good acquisitions, Jabari returning, young players improving
> Pistons - added shooting and I think they'll be better without Monroe, actually
> Cavs - chemistry should be better with one year under their belt
> Raptors - trying to become more defensive-oriented will help them

Falling:
> Hawks - lost Carroll who was big for them; league will also be more ready for them next year
> Nets - Deron hasn't been a game changer for a long time, but putting all your eggs in the BroLo basket seems like a shaky plan
> Wizards - lost Paul Pierce ;D

Neutral:
> Heat - Bosh returns but Wade will likely never be healthy anymore
> Sixers - still bad
> Bulls - Rose doesn't need to make a 'comeback' because this team is still stacked
> Hornets - good acquisition in Batum, but I don't know if it moves the needle
> Knicks - I don't know if I'm missing something here. Adding RoLo helps, I guess?

- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Stock rising

Celtics
 Wizards
 Bucks

Falling stock

Charlotte they stink.

You know they weren't even the worst team in the East last year right? They were the third worst in the NBA.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
What has actually happened recently?

The Jared Sullinger transformation bubble just popped. Celtics stock down

Turns out that La Famiglia isn't quite so important now that it's Tristan's turn. Cavs stock down.

Turns out that Anthony Bennett is not a high-upside gamble. At least not for Minnesota any more. Wolves stock down.

Indiana has one of the best wings in the NBA and no frontcourt. They have decided to solve this problem by making Paul George a power forward. Pacers stock down.

Pau Gasol killed everyone in Eurobasket. Even more than usual. Bulls stock up.

Danilo Gallinari also looks like he's back. Weird to even write it, but Nuggets stock up.

Chandler Parsons is healing slow, or is he just going to be held back because Dallas is going to tank this year? Either way, Mavs stock down.

Everyone loves the Jazz, but no one seems to have noticed that they acquired the rights to Tibor Pleiss for depth behind Rudy Golbert. Pleiss also looked great in Euro Basket, and he's a non-cement-footed 7'2". That's quite a tool to have at the end of your bench. Jazz stock up

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Stock rising

Celtics
 Wizards
 Bucks

Falling stock

Charlotte they stink.

You know they weren't even the worst team in the East last year right? They were the third worst in the NBA.
which points out how much more of a joke they are -- their well-known goal was to be the worst and they couldn't succeed at that. 
The fact NY finished worse than Philly was due more to NY injuries than an attempt by them to outsuck Philly

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 02:27:13 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Stock rising

Celtics
 Wizards
 Bucks

Falling stock

Charlotte they stink.

which points out how much more of a joke they are -- their well-known goal was to be the worst and they couldn't succeed at that. 
The fact NY finished worse than Philly was due more to NY injuries than an attempt by them to outsuck Philly

I think they were competing with a few other teams that all sucked fairly equally...Once Melo went down it was a blatant tank with new york.
But the point of this paragraph we are discussing is that Philly's stock somehow went down after adding Okafur to Noel-which it clearly hasn't.  Not that we really care, but they will be a better team talent wise because they've added him.
Saric may come over this year too.
Meh.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 02:35:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
What has actually happened recently?

The Jared Sullinger transformation bubble just popped. Celtics stock down

Turns out that La Famiglia isn't quite so important now that it's Tristan's turn. Cavs stock down.

Turns out that Anthony Bennett is not a high-upside gamble. At least not for Minnesota any more. Wolves stock down.

Indiana has one of the best wings in the NBA and no frontcourt. They have decided to solve this problem by making Paul George a power forward. Pacers stock down.

Pau Gasol killed everyone in Eurobasket. Even more than usual. Bulls stock up.

Danilo Gallinari also looks like he's back. Weird to even write it, but Nuggets stock up.

Chandler Parsons is healing slow, or is he just going to be held back because Dallas is going to tank this year? Either way, Mavs stock down.

Everyone loves the Jazz, but no one seems to have noticed that they acquired the rights to Tibor Pleiss for depth behind Rudy Golbert. Pleiss also looked great in Euro Basket, and he's a non-cement-footed 7'2". That's quite a tool to have at the end of your bench. Jazz stock up

I would say the jury is still out on Sully. Let's see if his conditioning has improved first before writing him off.
Regardless,  the C's added a rim protector in Amir, a scorer in Lee and will have IT for a full season. Smart comes back from an offseason of rest to heal his ankle/finger and has likely improved his shooting even more. So I think the Celtics stock has risen significantly.

Cavs have their other 2 stars back and an entire season to gel/prepare. Thompson is okay, but he's a back up big who's pretty much a poor man's Sullinger.

Bennett was a throw in for the Wolves in the Wiggins trade, and they got the consensus #1 in Towns, so I wouldn't saybtheir stock fell.

The Bulls are the same injury riddled team except now they're a year older and Noah is expiring...There's a good possibility challenge them for the 5th or 6th seed if we stay healthy. They'd be battling for the 7th/8th seed without jimmy butler.

I do agree with you on the Mavs, Jazz and the Pacers are an anomaly. ..what helps more? Healthy PG+Ellis or hibberts rim protection?

Just offering a different point of view I guess.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 03:23:35 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think you could see much more parity in the east this year with some of the weaker teams from last year rising and some of the stronger teams falling.

The Raptors were already starting to slip during the second half of this year and while they gained Carroll they lost Amir.  I'm wouldn't count on them winning as many games this year.

The Hawks played as well as they could play last year, and I think it's very doubtful they will win 60 games again.  With losing Carroll I have no idea who is going to start at SF for them, and Korver is approaching his mid 30's. 

There is no way the Nets are winning 38 games again IMO.

I think the Bulls and Wizards will have roughly the same record as last year, but wouldn't be surprised if both lost a few more games than last year.

For risers I see the Bucks, Heat, Pistons, Magic, and maybe us winning more games than last year.

I'm in a wait and see mode with the Pacers even though they have George back, now have a thin front court.

I don't trust Jordan as GM, and I don't really see that team winning any more games than they did last year. 

The Knicks may win more will Melo back, but that surrounding cast is very subpar.

The Cavs on paper should win more than 53 games, but some of their players are injury prone, and Lebron now in his 30's could start slowing down.

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 04:50:11 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Stock rising

Celtics
 Wizards
 Bucks

Falling stock

Charlotte they stink.

Replacing Henry Sims with the #3 pick in the draft, replacing Ish Smith with Kendall Marshall, playing an entire season with guys who can stretch the floor and not going through the back end of the roster shuffle.

Not to mention an entire year of development for the youngest team in the NBA, which includes the best rookie from last year.

Been hearing we're the worst team in the NBA for 3 years, hasn't been true yet. We'll be close to 30 wins this year.

But yes, I'm sure the Celtics adding more average players to their average team has sent their stock surging. That's totally a fair point.