Author Topic: The New Music Thread.  (Read 3933 times)

The New Music Thread.
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:45:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I wanted to open up a thread dedicated to new music. Please only post music released in the last 6 months. Also, post the genre above the link, that way we can avoid country music.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:31:12 PM by JSD »

Re: The New Music Thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Alternative/Rock/Pop-Punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6_Bs0uk28k&feature=youtu.be

I love the production on this on tune more than I like the song itself. I'm really looking forward to this album, especially after Have Mercy's last album which was really good.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Album of the year as far as I'm concerned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5s-KLGVcTI
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
This is all punk-ish stuff (in rough order):

Downtown Boys -- Full Communism

Desaparecidos -- Payola

Worriers -- Imaginary Life

Dikembe -- Ledge EP

Gnarwhal -- Shinerboy

-------

Instrmental indie-rock:

Battles -- La Di Da Di

-------

This is old & folk and very good... but the reissue came out recently (it's still in rotation at the radio station I (volunteer) DJ at on Tues. nights...):

Jackson C. Frank: The Complete Recordings
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:02:52 PM by Gainesville Celtic »
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Check out the new Luke Vibert album - Ridmik.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Is this just 40 minutes or so of ambient piano music?

I liked it, but it's like the musical equivalent of white noise. 

If you like that, I recommend Grouper.  Makes some really good ambient electronic type music.  Like listening to music through several layers of thick felt.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

If you like that, I recommend Grouper.  Makes some really good ambient electronic type music.  Like listening to music through several layers of thick felt.

Grouper is good -- if you want to say "the musical equivalent of white noise" I would say the majority of pop music falls under that criteria  :P.

Not that you're wrong -- I also really love Stars of the Lid and Lustmord, who would both probably fall under the same criteria, but the idea that there is music that isn't "the equivalent of white noise" is, to some degree, silly to me. What Basinski is doing is more akin to what a lot of people typically associate with classical music -- repeated themes that evolve over a longer course of time. In this case it's a a piano loop he recorded and then treated in such a way that's being effected over the duration of the piece. Needless to say a good stereo system (or at least not laptop speakers) is pretty essential to this sort of stuff, but it also takes a certain temperament.

If you want real 'music that is the equivalent of white noise' I suggest Merzbow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4g2Zjolsa0

(spoiler alert, that's noise music. Specifically, it's harsh noise music, but I get the feeling the audience for this sort of stuff on CB [and the discussion therin] is an audience of one.)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
New Kurt Vile album that came out today ("B'lieve I'm Goin Down") is pretty solid. 

Love his vocals.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 02:15:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If you want real 'music that is the equivalent of white noise' I suggest Merzbow

(spoiler alert, that's noise music. Specifically, it's harsh noise music, but I get the feeling the audience for this sort of stuff on CB [and the discussion therin] is an audience of one.)

They're no Throbbing Gristle.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
New Kurt Vile album that came out today ("B'lieve I'm Goin Down") is pretty solid. 

Love his vocals.

I love Kurt Vile.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

They're no Throbbing Gristle.

It's one dude, but yeah, Throbbing Gristle is phenomenal. Love me some TG.

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Grouper is good -- if you want to say "the musical equivalent of white noise" I would say the majority of pop music falls under that criteria  :P.

Not that you're wrong -- I also really love Stars of the Lid and Lustmord, who would both probably fall under the same criteria, but the idea that there is music that isn't "the equivalent of white noise" is, to some degree, silly to me. What Basinski is doing is more akin to what a lot of people typically associate with classical music -- repeated themes that evolve over a longer course of time. In this case it's a a piano loop he recorded and then treated in such a way that's being effected over the duration of the piece. Needless to say a good stereo system (or at least not laptop speakers) is pretty essential to this sort of stuff, but it also takes a certain temperament.

Heh.

I should be clear, I wasn't dissing the album you linked.  I can appreciate music like that.  Though it's only occasional listening for me, I like something with something resembling melody and some percussion or rhythm.

Boards of Canada is one of my favorite artists, though, and Flying Lotus is another, so I can appreciate musical structure that is significantly outside the realm of pop.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Love his vocals.

I love Kurt Vile.

Same here.  Seen him live twice.  There's just something about his music that gets to me.   

You listen to The War on Drugs at all?  Their lead singer & Kurt Vile started out together (before Kurt went solo).  Very similar sounding music.  If you love Kurt, you'll probably love The War on Drugs too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Heh.

I should be clear, I wasn't dissing the album you linked.  I can appreciate music like that.  Though it's only occasional listening for me, I like something with something resembling melody and some percussion or rhythm.

Boards of Canada is one of my favorite artists, though, and Flying Lotus is another, so I can appreciate musical structure that is significantly outside the realm of pop.

See I think of BoC and the Warp recording artists as basically pop music.  :laugh:

I really liked Los Angeles, but I haven't kept up with Flying Lotus.

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I really liked Los Angeles, but I haven't kept up with Flying Lotus.

I highly recommend checking out Cosmogramma and You're Dead!  Cosmogramma is one of my favorite albums.
- Mark Twain