Author Topic: Harrison Barnes -- rejecting a 4 year/$64 mill contract  (Read 6380 times)

Harrison Barnes -- rejecting a 4 year/$64 mill contract
« on: September 24, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2557170-harrison-barnes-contract-latest-news-and-rumors-on-negotiations-with-warriors

I know there's been a number of trade proposals to get this guy although for what I consider to be an overpayment.  I think $16 mill per year is pretty generous for what he's accomplished.  It may be just the starting point where he negotiates upward or he may be looking for a short deal to hit free agency sooner (can't find the article/link where I saw that mentioned as a possibility yesterday)

Any general thoughts out there as to whether they think he's doing the right or wrong thing to reject the deal?

Re: Harrison Barnes -- rejecting a 4 year/$64 mill contract
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Seems like a good deal for an average starting SF like H.Barnes. Set for life after signing that deal. Still plenty of years left to earn more down the road. I think he should have taken it.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Isn't $16 million per year the maximum he can get per year on his next deal?

If he rejected it, I imagine he believes he'd be better off taking a shorter deal and then getting more than that after a couple of years.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 03:03:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the shorter contract to get to free agency again quicker is the angle he's playing.  would you agree that's foolish not to take the sure thing?

Personally, I think that deal would set him for life and with plenty of time to hit free agency for another big contract while in his prime.  if he takes a 1-year deal it'd still be for good money but he risks a losing a lot more down the line if he's injured this year.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think the shorter contract to get to free agency again quicker is the angle he's playing.  would you agree that's foolish not to take the sure thing?

I do agree.  Barnes looks like a solid player to me, but I don't think he is any sort of sure thing to "blow up" if he went to a team where he'd have a larger role.  I'm not sure any team is going to give him a megadeal based on the potential he's shown and little else. 

Solid starter money is probably the best he can hope for, and with the cap going up, solid starter money is a LOT of money.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
16m per is NOT solid starter money, AB @8 is solid starter money. 16m is star money b/c it's max for him. Sully may not be a defender (lazy) but some of you would lose it if we only offered him 10, and Sully is a big with a lot of potential left too! Many people make less than 16m and are better than he is!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He must think he's about the have a breakout year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'm pretty sure that isn't a max contract offer, but I also think he expects when the cap increases next summer he will get a much larger contract. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:35:39 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I believe I read that after he rejected the offer he fired his manager and has since hired a new one. On phone, unable to post source here.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think it's a smart move by him. So many teams will have cap space next year and there isn't enough talent to go around for all that cap space. I would be surprised if he didn't get the max next year when the cap rises.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Smart move. He's forcing Golden State to resign him to a higher value then he's worth. If they don't resign him, they won't have the cap space to replace his talent. It's putting Golden State in a tough spot.

Seems similar to what Tristan Thompson is doing.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If he rejected it, I imagine he believes he'd be better off taking a shorter deal and then getting more than that after a couple of years.

No, it isn't.  $16 million is the max for a contract that starts this year, but next year, the max for someone with his experience is projected to be around $20 million for year one, with max raises of about $1 million per year.  In other words, if he signs a max 4-year deal next summer with some other team, it would be around 4 years, $86 million, or about 1/3 more than the deal he rejected.

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

No, it isn't.  $16 million is the max for a contract that starts this year, but next year, the max for someone with his experience is projected to be around $20 million for year one, with max raises of about $1 million per year.  In other words, if he signs a max 4-year deal next summer with some other team, it would be around 4 years, $86 million, or about 1/3 more than the deal he rejected.

Ah okay, that makes a lot of sense.

I thought the cap on deals for players coming off their rookie deal was around $16 million, but that must have been for players signing this summer, not next summer.

Totally makes sense for Barnes to turn it down.  Next summer lots of players will get deals above and beyond what their value would be in a normal free agent market because so many teams will have tons of cap space.

Somebody will pay Barnes big money next summer.  Wouldn't shock me if it's the Celtics.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 05:48:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Sounded very generous .  He isn't LeBron .

I bet the Lakers will pay more .

After all. ,,

They just resigned

The great

Meta World Thug ! 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:04:30 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 06:09:44 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Ah okay, that makes a lot of sense.

I thought the cap on deals for players coming off their rookie deal was around $16 million, but that must have been for players signing this summer, not next summer.

Totally makes sense for Barnes to turn it down.  Next summer lots of players will get deals above and beyond what their value would be in a normal free agent market because so many teams will have tons of cap space.

Somebody will pay Barnes big money next summer.  Wouldn't shock me if it's the Celtics.

I wasn't saying no about it being his max, I don't know. My objection was about "solid starter money." 16m is for a star if it is at his max or close to it. Heck, 16m is a lot even with the raises in cap.

These guys deserve to get stupid money b/c they are the ones doing the entertaining but WOW, these are crazy dollars for players who are good but nothing special (yet).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)