Author Topic: ESPN Player Rankings  (Read 12419 times)

Re: ESPN Player Rankings
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
85 is definitely a bit of a stunner for Marcus, but I believe in that kid, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see him live up to--and even surpass--those lofty expectations this season.

I could see it happening.  I just think ranking him ahead of Tyreke and Monta is borderline outrageous.  Those guys are not stars but at this point they're both veteran scorers who are actually kind of underrated.  Smart has a long way to go to be able to produce on offense like those two, and as a guard he can only do so much defensively to make up the difference.

I agree about Monta, but I think Smart will surpass him pretty soon. Monta's defense is bad, and Smart's offense will probably be better than Monta's defense sooner than later.

Completely disagree with you on Tyreke, though. He doesn't get points from me for being a veteran who has produced well enough. Amazing rookie year, but he has been the definition of mediocre since. His scoring efficiency is mediocre. His defense is below average. His passing is slightly above average. I'll take Smart as a rookie from the second half of the year where he played elite defense over a player who doesn't do anything particularly well. If Tyreke was as impactful as Smart, NOP would have won 50 games easily last year. Blah this is just reminding me how poor a job New Orleans is doing surrounding Davis. It's literally Garnett in Minny part 2 so far.

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I expect Marcus' offense to show marked improvement this year.  In his rookie season, he didn't really get to spend a lot of time as the primary ball handler.  He was used more as a spot up shooter, a role in which he actually surpassed the expectations for him coming into the league.

I suspect that this season he will be given the ball more as a ball handling lead guard and get to show more of the strengths that he showed in college on the offensive end.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2015, 12:11:52 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I expect Marcus' offense to show marked improvement this year.  In his rookie season, he didn't really get to spend a lot of time as the primary ball handler.  He was used more as a spot up shooter, a role in which he actually surpassed the expectations for him coming into the league.

I suspect that this season he will be given the ball more as a ball handling lead guard and get to show more of the strengths that he showed in college on the offensive end.

It's really shocking when you go back and watch games from last year: Marcus barely ever played on ball. By the time he really emerged as a contributor and moved into the starting lineup, ET was firmly in control of ball-handling duties. I expect that Marcus will see a ton of his minutes with David Lee also on the floor this year. Lee, by acting as a facillator at times, can help to create an intermediary stage in which Marcus transitions from never playing on ball to playing on ball most of the time, while preventing him from being too overwhelmed. Lee is going to contribute a great deal to Marcus' development.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2015, 12:40:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
85 is definitely a bit of a stunner for Marcus, but I believe in that kid, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see him live up to--and even surpass--those lofty expectations this season.

I could see it happening.  I just think ranking him ahead of Tyreke and Monta is borderline outrageous.  Those guys are not stars but at this point they're both veteran scorers who are actually kind of underrated.  Smart has a long way to go to be able to produce on offense like those two, and as a guard he can only do so much defensively to make up the difference.

I agree about Monta, but I think Smart will surpass him pretty soon. Monta's defense is bad, and Smart's offense will probably be better than Monta's defense sooner than later.

Completely disagree with you on Tyreke, though. He doesn't get points from me for being a veteran who has produced well enough. Amazing rookie year, but he has been the definition of mediocre since. His scoring efficiency is mediocre. His defense is below average. His passing is slightly above average. I'll take Smart as a rookie from the second half of the year where he played elite defense over a player who doesn't do anything particularly well. If Tyreke was as impactful as Smart, NOP would have won 50 games easily last year. Blah this is just reminding me how poor a job New Orleans is doing surrounding Davis. It's literally Garnett in Minny part 2 so far.

I think Tyreke's ideal role is as a sixth man.  Still -- and I love Smart -- I think Smart's got a long way to go offensively until his value is on par with a guy who's averaged 17-5-5-1.5 for his career.

NOP's problem last year was not Tyreke, it was that Tyreke was their second best player.

That said, I can't really figure out why Tyreke's best season was his rookie season.  Really seems like he ought to be better by now.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
IT4 capps of C's at 65. Underrated imo, one of the best offensive players in the nba. People just can't get over the fact that he is 5'9

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
IT4 capps of C's at 65. Underrated imo, one of the best offensive players in the nba. People just can't get over the fact that he is 5'9

Or y'know, they care about defense.

- LilRip

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2015, 02:01:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
How on Earth does Rudy Gay have a career-best season, with an advanced stats profile that's dramatically improved since arriving in Sacramento, and drop 20 spots (ok, 19)?  He's seeming like one those guys where mainstream opinions of him are somehow always trending the opposite of his actual play.

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17
How on Earth does Rudy Gay have a career-best season, with an advanced stats profile that's dramatically improved since arriving in Sacramento, and drop 20 spots (ok, 19)?  He's seeming like one those guys where mainstream opinions of him are somehow always trending the opposite of his actual play.
I think they are now projecting his future impact on the team. Like since Sac aquired quite a bit of talent this off season, it effects him negatively in the ranking.

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Isaiah came in at #65.

65. Isaiah Thomas
66. Andrew Bogut
67. Ty Lawson
68. Hassan Whiteside
69. Danilo Gallinari
70. Rudy Gay

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13845079/nbarank-61-70
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think they are now projecting his future impact on the team. Like since Sac aquired quite a bit of talent this off season, it effects him negatively in the ranking.

That thinking doesn't seem to make sense to me.   Karl's teams in the past have been very, very good for pumping the numbers up of his wings.  And Gay and Rondo already look to have a pretty favorable on-court chemistry during this preseason.   He could be looking at an even bigger season this coming year.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Top 20 offense and a bottom 100 defense so anywhere 60-70 is fine by me.

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
65 is very generous for a guy who will be coming off the bench for a team that hopes just to win more games than it loses.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2015, 03:31:54 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Rubio at 64 is pretty ridiculous to be honest...

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Might be the worst ranking they've done so far.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, there's little to no evidence he's a good NBA player.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

Might be the worst ranking they've done so far.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, there's little to no evidence he's a good NBA player.
Or any evidence that he can stay healthy.