Author Topic: ESPN Player Rankings  (Read 12426 times)

Re: ESPN Player Rankings
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Olynyk is ranked comfortably ahead of Sullinger. That's interesting. Maybe that speaks to how much this ranking weighs shooting ability.

He's also ranked above AB, so I wouldn't read too much into it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 12:11:34 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Olynyk is ranked comfortably ahead of Sullinger. That's interesting. Maybe that speaks to how much this ranking weighs shooting ability.

from  a statistically efficient  stand point, I'm not too surprised

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I suspect the ESPN rankings are based in large part on their RPM statistic, which rates KO quite favorably, and AB not so much.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

from  a statistically efficient  stand point, I'm not too surprised

Offensively, yeah, KO is probably better, but it's not even close on the other end of the floor

It's just a really poor set of rankings
I'm bitter.

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 07:00:23 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
It's official: According to these rankings, the Celtics have the best depth in the league, the only team with 10 players in the top 180 (or top 200).

Also, the Lakers are the first team done in the rankings. Their highest-ranked player is Kobe, all the way down at No. 93.

That's a shame.

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 08:34:17 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
It's official: According to these rankings, the Celtics have the best depth in the league, the only team with 10 players in the top 180 (or top 200).

We are probably also the flattest roster talentwise.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Also, the Lakers are the first team done in the rankings. Their highest-ranked player is Kobe, all the way down at No. 93.

That's a shame.

Who do the Celts have in the top 100?  I thought Isaiah Thomas was ranked outside the top 100.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

That's a shame.

Who do the Celts have in the top 100?  I thought Isaiah Thomas was ranked outside the top 100.

Smart and IT have yet to be ranked, I just checked and Ellis came in at 86 so they're both better than that though unknown at the moment

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

That's a shame.

Smart and IT haven't shown up yet.  Probably soon for both though.  But that's pretty good respect for Smart at least.

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

That's a shame.

Smart and IT haven't shown up yet.  Probably soon for both though.  But that's pretty good respect for Smart at least.

Wait they have Smart as a top 100 player?  That's . . . generous.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

That's a shame.

Top 85 and counting - better than Kobe, Monta, and Tyreke, baby! 

...this is a forecast, so I guess they're anticipating a big step forward this year.

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

That's a shame.

Top 85 and counting - better than Kobe, Monta, and Tyreke, baby! 

...this is a forecast, so I guess they're anticipating a big step forward this year.

Gee willikers, I'd say.  I love Marcus Smart, but ahead of Monta and Tyreke?  Dang.

He'd need to average 30+ minutes a night and put up, like, at least 12-5-5-2 on good percentages with great defense.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
ESPN has gone off the rails a bit with this RPM stuff.  How high will Khris Middleton be ranked?

edit:

Woah.

Marcus Smart at 84 and Jahlil Okafor, without playing a single NBA game, is ranked at 90.

This is madness.  These rankings are a mess.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:51:37 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
haven't checked out the rankings but in my opinion, unless it's fantasy basketball, the rank doesn't mean as much as the range. For example, #344 isn't significantly better than #345 or #365  but what it essentially means is that all 3 players are outside of the top 300.

Now, I don't know when we should cut off these tiers but off the top of my head, without looking at any players, it would be something like:
1. Top 10
2. Top 20
3. Top 50
4. Top 100
5. Top 150
6. Top 250
7. Top 350
8. Outside of Top 350

Yet then the difference between, say, 149 and 151 becomes significant. Still, I see what you're getting at.

Thanks. But I'd just like to point out that with tier ranking, there would be no more 149 and 151. Instead, the hypothetical "#151" is ranked the same as the hypothetical "#249". Both players would be "top 250", along with 98 players. However, they won't be ranked individually from 151-250.

In the same way, the hypothetical "#149" would be ranked the same as the hypothetical "#100". It's just a pool of 50 players in the same bracket who won't have individual rankings.
- LilRip

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
how much this ranking weighs shooting ability.

Could be defense as well.