Author Topic: Thornton in Australia  (Read 8348 times)

Re: Thornton in Australia
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
Pretty quiet debut for Thornton in Sydney's easy 87-63 win over Cairns.

Playing time 28:52. 9 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists. FG 3-11, 3P 1-7, FT 2-2.

I just relocated to Sydney (from Sweden!)- I went to the Cairns game. Can't say I'm overly impressed with Thornton; I really don't like is off-balance-jump-or-fadeaway-for-no-reason jumper. His handles were a bit sloppy too. They played tonight again, and lost. Thornton's numbers look pretty mediocre; 2-11 shooting, 0 ast, 5 to's...

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 08:55:53 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Hi guys, it's great to see other Aussies on the board. I'm over in Perth. Just got my Wildcats membership today and am going to the season opener against NZ Breakers tomorrow night. The NBL isn't great but it's better than nothing. I'm a bit worried about the games only being shown on foxtel this season. I think the league has suffered in the past when there were no games on free to air TV.

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So I'm going to see him in Adelaide next week which should be good.
I really do hate the NBL but the stadium is literally 10 minutes from my house and I won't be watching anything but this guy.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Bring him back ...send out Turner

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 12:13:43 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Some cretinous old fool poured beer on Marcus Thornton during the Sydney Kings' game at Illawarra.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2015/11/26/06/15/nblfanpoursbeeronkingsplayer

Inexplicably stupid behaviour from a bloke who looks to be about in his 60's and was even wearing a 'Corporate Member' lanyard. Credit to Thornton for handling the incident well, both at the time and in his comments after the game.

For the record Thornton scored 18 points and the Kings lost by 6.

He's been playing better lately after a slow start. Basically though he looks to be a dime-a-dozen under sized SG, inconsistent shooter and not very athletic. Could have any number of similar players with all our 2nd round draft picks.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 12:28:31 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Some cretinous old fool poured beer on Marcus Thornton during the Sydney Kings' game at Illawarra.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2015/11/26/06/15/nblfanpoursbeeronkingsplayer

Inexplicably stupid behaviour from a bloke who looks to be about in his 60's and was even wearing a 'Corporate Member' lanyard. Credit to Thornton for handling the incident well, both at the time and in his comments after the game.

For the record Thornton scored 18 points and the Kings lost by 6.

He's been playing better lately after a slow start. Basically though he looks to be a dime-a-dozen under sized SG, inconsistent shooter and not very athletic. Could have any number of similar players with all our 2nd round draft picks.
lol

Some odd indifference by the guy.
Yup

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I watched him play vs Adelaide about 2 weeks ago.
His team were up by 28 points and ended up losing lol.
He was really disappointing to be honest. Hit a few threes but that's about it.
His athleticism (the main reason we picked him) didn't stand out at all.

The coaching/offense in the Australian Pro league is pretty terrible though. Just old, tall white guys shooting low percentage jumpshots with import players like Thornton trying to bail them out with 10 seconds on the clock.

But yeah, he was very underwhelming. Great come back win by the opposing team though hehe.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

The coaching/offense in the Australian Pro league is pretty terrible though. Just old, tall white guys shooting low percentage jumpshots with import players like Thornton trying to bail them out with 10 seconds on the clock.

But yeah, he was very underwhelming. Great come back win by the opposing team though hehe.
I wonder why he went to Australia and not Europe. was it his choice? 

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 10:07:57 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I wonder why he went to Australia and not Europe. was it his choice?

Australia's season ends earlier, I believe.  He wanted to be able to come over to the states after the trade deadline in case there was an opening on the C's -- not that he seems to be showing himself ready for such an opportunity.

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Just saw that: 

David ‘Dubi’ Pick: Source: Boston Celtics draftee Marcus Thornton, stashed in Australia, on his way out of Sydney Kings. 20 hours ago – via Twitter IAmDPick

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
http://wydaily.com/2016/01/02/sports-sydney-kings-rookie-tribe-alumnus-marcus-thornton-among-nbls-top-scorers/

I know Thornton got off to a slow start but now he's among NBL's top scorers. Next month he'll probably be in Maine.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
How about .......

Sending ET to the OUtBACK

To play in the

Kangaroo League

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 08:35:52 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
http://wydaily.com/2016/01/02/sports-sydney-kings-rookie-tribe-alumnus-marcus-thornton-among-nbls-top-scorers/

I know Thornton got off to a slow start but now he's among NBL's top scorers. Next month he'll probably be in Maine.

He can't play in Maine, we have too many guys under contract, Maine players count against 15 if they are under contract with the parent club.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 08:36:19 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Sydney Kings sit bottom though..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 08:40:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He can't play in Maine, we have too many guys under contract, Maine players count against 15 if they are under contract with the parent club.

We could always release him and he could be signed by the Red Claws; but then any team could sign him. It was always a long shot that he would ever really be a C.