Author Topic: Harrison Barnes trade to Celts idea  (Read 4962 times)

Re: Harrison Barnes trade to Celts idea
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It is way too much to me and I believe GSW will not be willing to part with Bogut. He is worth way more to them than in a trade to us. Why break up a brilliant starting 5?

Another aspect - GSW would like to stay in the play for Durant. They can practically only do sign-and-trades and Barnes is a very good starting point for such - young, plays the same position, good potential.

A wish we could, but it is not happening.

I don't see Durant as a feasible target for the Dubs, considering they still have to pay Steph Curry.
+1
But just wait someone will say the cap is rising like there's an infinite amount of cap and $.
Well usually when we talk about the salary cap rising around here it has to do with the dollar amount we can throw at a player.

In Golden State's situation it has much more to do with the percentage of the cap a player like Durant would take up and how that would affect the kind of percentage/salary they'd be able to offer Curry, who is still on his 4/$11 mill. deal from 2012.
I guess I had to put the part about sign-and-trade in bold to be read.
I read it.

I also read the previous sentence "Another aspect -- GSW would like to stay in the play for Durant." Now, that sentence is true, insofar as there are 30 NBA teams that "would like to stay in play for Durant" but GSW has as much a shot at landing him as Sacramento does at winning the title next year.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
It is way too much to me and I believe GSW will not be willing to part with Bogut. He is worth way more to them than in a trade to us. Why break up a brilliant starting 5?

Another aspect - GSW would like to stay in the play for Durant. They can practically only do sign-and-trades and Barnes is a very good starting point for such - young, plays the same position, good potential.

I don't see Durant as a feasible target for the Dubs, considering they still have to pay Steph Curry.
+1
But just wait someone will say the cap is rising like there's an infinite amount of cap and $.
Well usually when we talk about the salary cap rising around here it has to do with the dollar amount we can throw at a player.

In Golden State's situation it has much more to do with the percentage of the cap a player like Durant would take up and how that would affect the kind of percentage/salary they'd be able to offer Curry, who is still on his 4/$11 mill. deal from 2012.
I read it.

I also read the previous sentence "Another aspect -- GSW would like to stay in the play for Durant." Now, that sentence is true, insofar as there are 30 NBA teams that "would like to stay in play for Durant" but GSW has as much a shot at landing him as Sacramento does at winning the title next year.

After seeing Westbrook explode Majin Vegeta style.... I doubt KD's thinking he'll be around better company anywhere else.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Giving 2 firsts for barnes is too much

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
To GSW: Zeller, Sully, Jerebko, Young, Bradley, 1st round pick, (non lotto), 2nd round pick

To Bos: Barnes, Bogut, Clark, McAdoo
so. . .  just to make sure I'm following you correctly, you're main target of this trade is Harrison Barnes.  A player that hasn't shown a consistent ability to score or even get hot and carry his team and an adequate-or-slightly-better defender.  Someone who's not even on Jeff Green's level in terms of talent.

you're proposing: 3 starters in Zeller, Sully and AB from out team.  Granted they'd be bench guys at GSW but would really strengthen their bench (not really sure who you're proposing they put in their starting lineup in place of Barnes and Bogut), 1 decent bench guy in Jonas, 1 2nd year swingman prospect in Young at least 1 first round pick (that's how I read what you've mentioned) and a second rounder.

If we wanted someone the caliber of Barnes, we'd have kept Jeff Green.  Also, if for whatever reason Danny did want Barnes, I would hope his offer wouldn't exceed what we received in exchange for Green which was so much less than this proposal.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:20:26 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

He's financially feasible even with Curry's new deal looming, but it would require shipping off much of their vaunted depth and make them really top-heavy. Very similar to the Heat's Big 3 Era, except they wouldn't likely see the sustained success because, hey, they play in the West.
Barnes Likes to take clutch shots. Green did not. Green did hit a few.  Barnes is not a no. 1 option more like a 2nd option. If getting Barnes helps us get another good player like the Big three deal. It maybe worth it.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 03:19:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I like Barnes, but I think it's too much..especially with the picks.
Barnes value is sky high right now after their finals appearance where he looked great.
Problem is though that he was the 4th/5th option on that team.

Your trade proposal is giving away enough assets to land a top 3 option on a championship team.
Does Barnes have that potential? 
Probably, but right now he's basically like Lance Stephenson in 2012-13.
Looks great when he's got a few All Stars around him and the best opposing wing defenders are guarding your number 1 and 2 options.

Would you trade Barnes for IT +Crowder?
would Danny? It's possible.

If GSW were going to pick up the phone and listen, you'd have to offer something like:

Isaiah Thomas+
Kelly Olynyk
+two 2nd round picks.

it's still a big asking price and you may get away with Zeller instead of Olynyk.

Another option would be:
IT +
Jae Crowder

In a straight up trade.
I'd probably pass this up(would think long and hard) but Danny might love Barnes...
big gamble that could pay off if he elevated his game with more touches/shots.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 04:37:36 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

+1

I read it.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/08/kevin-durant-is-seriously-considering-joining-golden-state-warriors-in-2016-free-agency/

So you are telling me the championship winning organization of GSW with a relatively young and very talented core is not a place Durant would consider? If he is leaving OKC, I'd say GSW and his hometown Wizards are the two top options.

"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 11:11:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Please point out to me where I said that Durant would or would not consider the Dubs. I think I missed that part, possibly because I never mentioned it. I don't know what Durant wants, and neither do you, and neither does anyone else that isn't named Kevin Durant. What we're talking about is feasibility.

KD might have enough money from endorsements and the like that he agrees to a sign and trade, but he'll be severely handicapping his market value if he does. 4 years at 4.5% raise isn't nearly as appealing as 5/7.5% to anyone with basic math skills -- Which means that Durant will be making ~130 million over 4 instead of ~170 million over 5. That's a massive difference (those numbers are not totally accurate [they don't include the raises and it's going off that $108 million cap quoted from april] but they're close enough for government work).

So there's that. And then, as your article points out, they'd probably have to get rid of Andre Iguodala to get KD and, assuming the Warriors want to hold on to their already-rostered season MVP and arguable NBA Finals MVP Steph Curry (who is rightly going to demand a massive deal after being underpaid), they'll have to ship more people out to make that contract (which will be larger than Durant's, fwiw).

So KD Will be taking less money to share the ball with a point guard that arguably complements him less than the point guard he already has and will not be the top earner on the team... to go from a team that wouldn't be appreciably better than the one he's on now once the dust settles (as EP pointed out). Does that sound like a plausible scenario to you?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.