Author Topic: Thon Maker  (Read 4525 times)

Thon Maker
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:51:26 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Is there any reason as to why DraftExpress has him ranked 24, and NBADraft has him ranked 25? In my mind he is the top talent in the draft class.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thon-Maker-70462/
http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

https://youtu.be/UC-Icj3FI18

Re: Thon Maker
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 11:31:39 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Probably cause he played pretty bad at the Nike hoop summit.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 11:41:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I can't explain how tired I am of hearing about this kid. Is he even out of high school yet? As of the moment he's the new Felipe Lopez

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I can't explain how tired I am of hearing about this kid. Is he even out of high school yet? As of the moment he's the new Felipe Lopez
He wasn't able to reclassify, so currently a senior in hs.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 01:04:55 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
His stock fell dramatically over the course of last season because he played pretty poorly. I think it got to the point where people were questioning if he was even a real prospect or just a big prep school stiff that people had heard of. He recouped some of his value this summer though with good performances at the big events he was involved in.

I saw him play in January at the Hoops Hall Classic and wasn't overly impressed. He played extremely hard, was obviously skilled, and VERY coordinated for a 7 footer but didn't show much skill. I think since then his basketball ability has flashed a bit more.

I find it hard to determine how much of him is a slam dunk prospect versus his handlers trying g to make him LOOK like a slam dunk prospect.

He's not a super young prospect,  and he he has enough question marks around him to make me confidently say that he'll never climb above #5 on my 2017 prospect list (Giles, J. Johnson, Tatum, and D. Smith are ballers). That said, if he plays well this season you'll see him move way up again.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
His stock fell dramatically over the course of last season because he played pretty poorly. I think it got to the point where people were questioning if he was even a real prospect or just a big prep school stiff that people had heard of. He recouped some of his value this summer though with good performances at the big events he was involved in.

I saw him play in January at the Hoops Hall Classic and wasn't overly impressed. He played extremely hard, was obviously skilled, and VERY coordinated for a 7 footer but didn't show much skill. I think since then his basketball ability has flashed a bit more.

I find it hard to determine how much of him is a slam dunk prospect versus his handlers trying g to make him LOOK like a slam dunk prospect.

He's not a super young prospect,  and he he has enough question marks around him to make me confidently say that he'll never climb above #5 on my 2017 prospect list (Giles, J. Johnson, Tatum, and D. Smith are ballers). That said, if he plays well this season you'll see him move way up again.
thanks for the run down on maker, it was good to read. one question, would you please resolve the apparent contradiction above? thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 01:35:56 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

Whoops, thanks for calling that out. Bit of an editing mishap. What I was trying to get across is that he had obvious tools (size, speed, coordination), but he is raw and didn't really demonstrate the ability to use those tools to get positive basketball outcomes. For example, he struggled to find shots and looked pretty lost offensively except off of hustle plays. Also, he dropped some nice crossovers but lost his handle a lot and didn't really attack effectively with that skill (but it isn't every day u see a 7 footer execute guard like moves - even on occasion). I believe in the summer his offensive game showed a lot more progress so I definitely think I saw him live during the worst part of his year.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 02:22:07 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I have to think Maker will find more consistency now that he definitely knows his draft class. It was apparently quite difficult to reclassify within the timeframe he was trying and required a lot of external (to basketball) pressures and requirements.

He's definitely still a legit prospect, though not as elite as once imagined. I expect him to be a first round pick in a couple of years at least.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His was talent tantalizing at one time.  I think he will develop.  Well worth monitoring.  He is not a stiff but he needs to get stronger and more backbone.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
He was not playing well for a good part of the season and then exploded at all the summer tourneys and camps.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 03:40:40 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Where he is listed is better or in comparison to Karl Towns.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 11:47:25 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I would love to get a second a pick for the 2017 draft....just to be sure to get a top 5 pick

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 01:39:14 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
One report I heard pegged him as totally clueless. He has great tools and some raw skill, but pitiful feel for the game, a deer in the headlights. That's not the type of weakness that just goes away, so unless it's been badly exaggerated, late 1st seems good for him. And it doesn't look to me like his size/athleticism combo is off the charts, it's excellent but he isn't Anthony Davis.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 03:07:50 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I do not mind taking him with a late first if that is the casa.... trade some seconds for him... imagine taking giles and maker at the same draft