Poll

Should OKC trade Durant by deadline if they feel he may leave in FA?

Yes, get what you can.
4 (12.5%)
Yes, only if the deal keeps you competitive.
3 (9.4%)
No, take your shot at resigning him no matter what.
22 (68.8%)
No, it's a PR nightmare to trade him. If he walks oh well.
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Poll For Hypo. on OKC should trade Durant.  (Read 2191 times)

Poll For Hypo. on OKC should trade Durant.
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Time for the hypothetical do you trade a star and get something for him or risk FA. This time it's Durant who is coming off a serious injury. Vote and comment if you like.

Re: Poll For Hypo. on OKC should trade Durant.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
It's pretty much 50/50, but I say yes. I think he's more likely to go somewhere else than stay there if they don't get to at least the conference finals this year. And as strong as the West is this year with SAS, LAC, HOU, and the GSW, I'm not sure if I see an injury-prone OKC squad making it that far.

It is a double-edged sword, though. If you shop him around for the highest price, then the media gets a hold of it, and he's almost assuredly gone. However, I think you could at least get a good enough price on the former MVP to justify trading him. It does leave the question about what to do with Russ and Ibaka, though. I don't think they should do a total rebuild, but how do you reload after trading last year's MVP? Would a package around Nene, Beal, Oubre, and picks for Durant be enough? What about Butler, Gibson, and picks for Durant? That might be a decent haul for both teams.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:54:46 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
It's pretty much 50/50, but I say yes. I think he's more likely to go somewhere else than stay there if they don't get to at least the conference finals this year. And as strong as the West is this year with SAS, LAC, HOU, and the GSW, I'm not sure if I see an injury-prone OKC squad making it that far.

It is a double-edged sword, though. If you shop him around for the highest price, then the media gets a hold of it, and he's almost assuredly gone. However, I think you could at least get a good enough price on the former MVP to justify trading him. It does leave the question about what to do with Russ and Ibaka, though. I don't think they should do a total rebuild, but how do you reload after trading last year's MVP? Would a package around Nene, Beal, Oubre, and picks for Durant be enough? What about Butler, Gibson, and picks for Durant? That might be a decent haul for both teams.
Pretty interesting points and scenarios. I think a great deal will depend on the franchise. First in if Durant believes in a team's gm, coach, key players, and team history he would consider them a resign destination. If Durant does that then a team may up their trade package. Second the franchise would need to have a defensive SF and a upper-level SG that can play off the ball. If they get that then maybe a deal could be in place. Maybe that is Wizards as far as players.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:39:01 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:00:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Make him walk away from more money. If he does you have a ton of salary cap space and you go to the lottery. Nobody will give you CP3 or Blake Griffin for a pending free agent

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20:52 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Unless he signals that he is almost certainly leaving, you do everything you can to keep him. The Thunder have a chance to win it all every year with their core intact, and it's hard to imagine who they'd get in exchange that would keep them a legit contender. Their ownership should even commit to paying the luxury tax, if that's what it takes to get the talent he wants around him.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 02:13:04 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Uhh, no. Of course not. Basically going to echo what eja and loco said.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 04:22:19 AM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Trading Durant - unless he comes right out and says 'I'm not resigning' - would be franchise suicide for OKC.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 05:08:13 AM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think a pretty good deal would be to Golden State for Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes.

Okc would give the team to Westbrook as the number 1 option, klay as the number 2 shooting guard (which they desperately need) and have very capable up and coming SF in Barnes.

Gsw would have the last 2 mvps on the same team and iggy could then slode in and be the starting Sg.

Works for both teams.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 07:38:50 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think a pretty good deal would be to Golden State for Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes.

Okc would give the team to Westbrook as the number 1 option, klay as the number 2 shooting guard (which they desperately need) and have very capable up and coming SF in Barnes.

Gsw would have the last 2 mvps on the same team and iggy could then slode in and be the starting Sg.

Works for both teams.

Agree that valuewise that would be a good return that you'd get for Durant. But a championship team trying to repeat, to me they're not going to break that up squad regardless of who is coming back. (Unless it was Lebron).

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 02:00:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Works for both teams.

Agree that valuewise that would be a good return that you'd get for Durant. But a championship team trying to repeat, to me they're not going to break that up squad regardless of who is coming back. (Unless it was Lebron).
I agree with this. GSW wouldn't do that deal this year or at deadline. But if they fail to repeat then maybe.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Trading Durant - unless he comes right out and says 'I'm not resigning' - would be franchise suicide for OKC.

Yup....!

Sir Charles has said publicly several times , if Durrant leaves , that OKC will fall off the map as a basketball destination .

Franchise players of that caliber only show up at team very infrequently . If Durrant leaves or Westbrook the gig is up. 

Trading off Harden sealed OKC doom of not winning a title ....IMO

Now ..I have the bad feeling Durrants game may fall a notch due to his injuries.   

Durrant maybe like KG became , an important piece to a title .....but on another team .

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Depends on my season and what he has told me.  If it appears he is leaning towards leaving and it doesn't look like we could win the title then I trade him at the trade deadline.  If not, then I don't.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Unless the Thunder are doing so badly this season so that they look like they won't even make the playoffs, no way.  That's a title contender if it's healthy.  You don't break it up because the star might leave.  You go as far as you can with him, and let the chips fall where they may.  People here are too obsessed with not getting something for a player. 

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
If he walks and GS finds a way to sign him , wow.

Curry
Thompson
KD
Draymond
Whoever

Would be clear cut favorites for about 5-7 years.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 12:00:33 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Unless the Thunder are doing so badly this season so that they look like they won't even make the playoffs, no way.  That's a title contender if it's healthy.  You don't break it up because the star might leave.  You go as far as you can with him, and let the chips fall where they may.  People here are too obsessed with not getting something for a player.

TP, very well said. There are certain players in the league whom you take the risk of allowing to leave: Durant is one of those guys. There was no way in hell that either Cleveland (the first go-around) or Miami were trading LeBron in what turned out to be his final seasons with those teams; the same applies here.

People act as though the Thunder are absolutely screwed if Durant leaves without them having the chance to trade him.  Uhh, they'll still have Westbrook and Ibaka and can go any number of directions. Even in the most pessimistic view, they can let KD walk and then trade Westbrook and Ibaka.

I mean, did everyone just happen to ignore how Portland managed to maneuver through the loss of a considerably-lesser-but-still-really-good player this past offseason?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:08:22 PM by Endless Paradise »