Author Topic: Bulls and Celtics trade idea: Noah and Mcdermott  (Read 11416 times)

Re: Bulls and Celtics trade idea: Noah and Mcdermott
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
To Bulls: Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Tyler Zeller, Jared Sullinger
To Celtics: Joakim Noah,  Doug Mcdermott, 1st round pick

Why Bulls do the trade:  Team had a poor offseason, has a so so bench and there is a 50/50 chance Noah will sign to stay long term.  Gasol, Gibson also are not the most durable players.  Avery Bradley would be a nice backup to come off the bench for either Butler or Rose.

Why Celts do the trade:  Noah and Amir = one of the better frontcourt defensive duo in the league.   Mcdermott could turnout to be an average joe sf like Mike Dunleavy or have a breakout season.   Worse case, will provide solid 3 pt shooting and 10 points off the bench.  Best case , we get someone like a Paul Pierce for years to come.  Add another 1st 

Celts lineup after trade
C  - Noah
PF - Amir
SF - Mcdermott
SG- Smart
PG - Rozier

Bench
C  - KO/
PF - Lee/Mickey
SF - Jerebko/PJ3
SG - Hunter/Young
PG - IT

thoughts?

Yes, what have you been smoking?

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I still think McDermott has a chance to turn out pretty good, especially now that Thibs is gone.  I don't see why he couldn't turn into a Szczerbiak type.
I agree with slamtheking that Noah is more of a final piece type of gamble.  I don't think he has several productive years left and it's even a gamble to think he will be healthy next year.
agreed - if we were closer to contention, as in a proven 50-53 win team, and our only hole was a defensive center that needed to play limited minutes, I'd be more inclined to do this and take the shot Noah puts us over the top.

what makes me gunshy about this is we have not done particularly well hoping older, questionable-health big men will stay healthy when they get here.  Jermaine, Shaq, Sheed (more conditioning and attitude than health) to make a point.

Noah is not even that old

I wouldn't bank on signing him for the long run but we can afford to take the risk. BC we can't sign sully, Zeller long term anyways.

I agree! Noah is 30. Tired of hearing people say players are "too old" (Melo!). It's a good thing to have a mixture of young guys & veterans. Cp3 is 30. Dwight Howard will be 30 next year. Noah is not too old and he'll be fine this year in terms of health.

And why can't we sign Sully or Zeller?
in a vacuum, 30 isn't old.  but, there's 30 playing heavy minutes with reckless abandon and then there's 30 only exerting effort at one end of the floor.

Noah is an 'old' 30 in that he's played heavy minutes, particularly under Thibs, and he's always giving the full effort (which is what makes him very appealing as a player).

as for not being able to sign both Sully and Zeller --> why not?  neither is going to break the bank, particularly with the jump in the salary cap coming up.  If Sully has a break out year and deserves over $10 mill per year, all the better for us that he's stepped up his game to become a valuable player and trade asset.

as for the proposed trade, Dougie does nothing for me nor does yet another late first round pick.  While I like Noah as a player and would have loved to have acquired him prior to last year when we still had KG and PP, I think he's too little, too late in that regard (or too early if you consider what we have to be the building blocks for a title run).

I think the Celtics should give Zeller an extension before the season (after all trade options are explored). This way, we're able to trade him mid-season if we want. He's the perfect back up center and he'll only get more expensive (or harder for US to retain) if we wait until next offseason.

As far as Sully goes, we should wait until he proves himself this season (HE WILL!). We can give him anywhere between $10-$15M per year. Currently when people talk about the Celtics they mention Isaiah Thomas and give very little credit to Marcus Smart. They say we only made the playoffs because IND & MIA had injuries. Come this time next year, I want Sully to be one of the names people mention when talking about the Celtics.

Just like you said above, Sully's emergence will help him create a bigger name for himself, and increase his trade value!

Take Sully out of the original proposed deal, add PJ3, the Minny 1st, & a future 2nd, and then I think the deal works for both sides.

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 06:40:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
OK, here is my Noah trade:

Thomas, Turner, Zeller

for

Noah, Brooks

This trade does not do all that much for either team but I thought I would play along.

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd want McDermott in any trade with the Bulls.
Something tells me they might move Noah+McDermott for Amir+Bradley if Noah suffers a serious injury...which is something I'd take a flyer on. Problem is matching salary. I think the Bulls would need to send us 66% of Amir+Bradley's salary or roughly $13.2 million..saltlover might confirm if he reads this....might be different because I think Bulls will be over the cap.

McDermott wasn't loved by Thibs as a rookie with mediocre defense- but he's a born scorer.
He destroyed summer league and has bulked up a fair bit.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:13:26 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 08:15:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd want McDermott in any trade with the Bulls.
Something tells me they might move Noah+McDermott for Amir+Bradley if Noah suffers a serious injury...which is something I'd take a flyer on. Problem is matching salary. I think the Bulls would need to send us 66% of Amir+Bradley's salary or roughly $13.2 million..saltlover might confirm if he reads this....might be different because I think Bulls will be over the cap.

McDermott wasn't loved by Thibs as a rookie with mediocre defense- but he's a born scorer.
He destroyed summer league and has bulked up a fair bit.

why would you want to take a flyer on Noah if he's injured?  defeats the purpose of acquiring him

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
To get McDermott.  I don't really care about Noah I think he's cooked. We could try and sign him to a friendly deal but if he walks meh. For me it's about getting McDermott...would be nice to get bith and resign Noah to a nice value deal I guess.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 09:52:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
To get McDermott.  I don't really care about Noah I think he's cooked. We could try and sign him to a friendly deal but if he walks meh. For me it's about getting McDermott...would be nice to get bith and resign Noah to a nice value deal I guess.
I don't get the fascination for Dougie.  didn't impress last year at all.  I'm not saying he'll be a bust but I think he'll be a decent bench guy at his peak. 

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't get the fascination for Dougie.  didn't impress last year at all.  I'm not saying he'll be a bust but I think he'll be a decent bench guy at his peak.

it's one year. Are you serious?  More than half the rookies are riding the bench. Even some top 5 picks.  So they are damaged goods by the 2nd year?

If Mcdermott was a sure thing in his first year, this trade would not pull through.  Imo because they got Mirotic , they can afford to let DM go. Bulls have other needs.

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 10:30:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To Bulls: Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Tyler Zeller, Jared Sullinger
To Celtics: Joakim Noah,  Doug Mcdermott, 1st round pick

Why Bulls do the trade:  Team had a poor offseason, has a so so bench and there is a 50/50 chance Noah will sign to stay long term.  Gasol, Gibson also are not the most durable players.  Avery Bradley would be a nice backup to come off the bench for either Butler or Rose.

Why Celts do the trade:  Noah and Amir = one of the better frontcourt defensive duo in the league.   Mcdermott could turnout to be an average joe sf like Mike Dunleavy or have a breakout season.   Worse case, will provide solid 3 pt shooting and 10 points off the bench.  Best case , we get someone like a Paul Pierce for years to come.  Add another 1st 

Celts lineup after trade
C  - Noah
PF - Amir
SF - Mcdermott
SG- Smart
PG - Rozier

Bench
C  - KO/
PF - Lee/Mickey
SF - Jerebko/PJ3
SG - Hunter/Young
PG - IT

thoughts?

Yes, what have you been smoking?

apparently some good stuff.   If your idea that the assets I have listed plus some picks will get us a guy like Durant, then you need to stop smoking the bad stuff

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 10:55:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think the Celtics should give Zeller an extension before the season (after all trade options are explored). This way, we're able to trade him mid-season if we want. He's the perfect back up center and he'll only get more expensive (or harder for US to retain) if we wait until next offseason.

This actually makes him harder to trade because of the rules for matching salary if trading a player before an extension kicks in.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 12:27:03 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Ugh. McDermott is not the player we want. He would be the worst starter defensively in the entire league, and his amazing shooting doesn't come close to making up for it since his offensive skillset is otherwise subpar. He can't post up NBA players like he did in college, he doesn't run the floor, and he isn't good as either the handler or the roll man in the PnR. RJ Hunter >>> McBuckets

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 03:29:02 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
What do you guys think it would take to jut get Noah? Would it be worth it? And when would it be more likely to happen, summer or midseason?

Maybe something with Sully if Danny thinks he won't be worth his next contract.

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 04:15:01 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I can't see it happening. Noah isn't the same player. He has two decent years left and Bulls will want too much for that return. C's need to keep building not waste assets or dump prospects for a 1 or 2 year playoff run with Noah.

When it comes to McBuckets I believe he could be a solid off the bench tweener. But again not worth the price to get him from Bulls.

Let the Bulls fade away with Rose, Gasol, and Noah getting hurt and ailing. When all there is, is Butler offer them a rebuild package via all the picks DA is compiling. That is the only Bull player worth trading for.

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 05:28:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Ugh. McDermott is not the player we want. He would be the worst starter defensively in the entire league, and his amazing shooting doesn't come close to making up for it since his offensive skillset is otherwise subpar. He can't post up NBA players like he did in college, he doesn't run the floor, and he isn't good as either the handler or the roll man in the PnR. RJ Hunter >>> McBuckets

I thought the same thing when he was coming into the draft- spoiled by his dad and freedom to shoot all night from wherever on the floor- I thought he'd be completely out muscled and wouldn't be able to get his shot off.

I watched him in preseason last year, and then Thibs benched him.
I watched him in summer league this year and he was very impressive.

I wouldn't give up the farm for McDermott,  but I'd give up Avery Bradley and/or a role player.

If Isaiah Thomas can be on the floor for 25-30 minutes a night and have his horrid defense/size get by, then Dougie may be able to.
Not saying he's going to be great, but there's a small chance of something special there. Considering our depth at SF, he'd fill a much needed void.
He actually reminds me a lot of Hunter and he's got an incredible IQ like Dunleavy.
Anyway as I said, no fascination, but I'd give up Bradley+2nd rounder... having just seen him enough to see the potential- and I was honestly an avid hater around draft time last year.

12 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4E_HK-42NU

2 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d307F7-PRIM

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I watched him in preseason last year, and then Thibs benched him.
I watched him in summer league this year and he was very impressive.

I watched him in preseason last year
I watched him in summer league this year

I watched him in preseason
I watched him in summer league

preseason
summer league
preseason
summer league
preseason
summer league
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.