Author Topic: new Melo trade article  (Read 7697 times)

Re: new Melo trade article
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 02:24:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
a few points:

1. I'm not sure we would have to trade Smart. Remember this is all assuming that things are going bad in NY and they want to move him. Saving money would be a main motivation, so structuring a deal where they save the most might be the main thing for them.

2. That trade kicker is big, but I think it is to our advantage. For it to make any sense for us to get Melo we would have to be already playing well. Like over .500 ball or else we would just be the Boston Knicks. Also, Boston is pretty close to NY. We are one of the only teams he could go to and not have to uproot his life in NY if he didn't want to.

3. There are no guarantees on getting other players. It would be nice if we could have 2 trades at once but that really never happens. Even getting Ray before getting KG was pretty rare. but if we are already a bit over .500, then we get Melo and get better we would be in a better position to add another star than if we sat on our hands.

4. I like that idea of playing Melo at the 4. I guess because it worked for PP. I'm also really high on Crowder. That Smart, AB, Crowder, Melo, AJ lineup looks really good. 4 D guys to back Melo up.

5. I don't think Phil would care THAT much about trading Melo in the same division. You would assume that NY would be bad for a few years (though maybe not, it is NY so they may be able to sign guys, but there are not that many guys available in the next few years) and Melo is already older. If it was a young guy, yeah trade him as far away as you can, but I'm not sure it matters that much with Melo.

6. For every reason why trading for Melo makes sense there are probably more reasons why NY would just keep him. A big city needs a big name. Who else are they going to get? exc.

The thing is, Melo has to agree to any trade, and I don't think he'll agree to be traded to a team that doesn't have any stars already on board.  Otherwise he's just agreeing to remain in purgatory in a different (less glamorous) location.
Right that is the big problem with any team trading for Melo.  They have to have enough assets and still have enough pieces in place for the trade to make sense.  That is why I suggested Chicago.  I do think they could do a trade, still have enough left, and perhaps most importantly be a place Melo might actually agree to go to. 

So I would rate it something like Brooklyn (though they have no pieces so can be eliminated at the moment), Chicago, and Cleveland as the three most likely places for various reasons.  And yes I said Cleveland.  If the Love and James experiment doesn't work, I could easily see a Love for Anthony trade making sense for both teams, and if Melo really wants to win, I could see him agreeing to go to Cleveland to play with James and Irving.  Cleveland is less than an hour flight from NY so his wife and family could theoretically stay put and Melo gets to have a real chance at multiple rings, playing with the best player in the world, as he rides off into the sunset of his career.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:40:31 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
I think the chances Melo comes to Boston is lower the 1%. City doesn't fit his needs, in division trade, phil Jackson doesn't like the Celtics, and our team is not what I believe melo is looking for. Like others have said if we had another all-star on our team it would increase our chances. I'm still waiting for DA to get us a center.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
a few points:

1. I'm not sure we would have to trade Smart. Remember this is all assuming that things are going bad in NY and they want to move him. Saving money would be a main motivation, so structuring a deal where they save the most might be the main thing for them.

2. That trade kicker is big, but I think it is to our advantage. For it to make any sense for us to get Melo we would have to be already playing well. Like over .500 ball or else we would just be the Boston Knicks. Also, Boston is pretty close to NY. We are one of the only teams he could go to and not have to uproot his life in NY if he didn't want to.

3. There are no guarantees on getting other players. It would be nice if we could have 2 trades at once but that really never happens. Even getting Ray before getting KG was pretty rare. but if we are already a bit over .500, then we get Melo and get better we would be in a better position to add another star than if we sat on our hands.

4. I like that idea of playing Melo at the 4. I guess because it worked for PP. I'm also really high on Crowder. That Smart, AB, Crowder, Melo, AJ lineup looks really good. 4 D guys to back Melo up.

5. I don't think Phil would care THAT much about trading Melo in the same division. You would assume that NY would be bad for a few years (though maybe not, it is NY so they may be able to sign guys, but there are not that many guys available in the next few years) and Melo is already older. If it was a young guy, yeah trade him as far away as you can, but I'm not sure it matters that much with Melo.

6. For every reason why trading for Melo makes sense there are probably more reasons why NY would just keep him. A big city needs a big name. Who else are they going to get? exc.

The thing is, Melo has to agree to any trade, and I don't think he'll agree to be traded to a team that doesn't have any stars already on board.  Otherwise he's just agreeing to remain in purgatory in a different (less glamorous) location.

It depends how well we are doing what his other options are and how bad the knicks are doing and look to do in the next few years.

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 04:25:59 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
If the kicks suck again this year it could get ugly. I agree that Chi and Cle would be better locations for melo but if they are both doing well they probably don't want to make a trade. Also, for some reason, Chi never seems to be able to pull the trigger on a 3 good players for 1 great player deal.

All it would take for us to get Melo is things to go bad in Chi, Melo to want out, us to be playing about .500 ball and be the only team to make a decent offer. 1% ha! I give it at least 2%!

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Right that is the big problem with any team trading for Melo.  They have to have enough assets and still have enough pieces in place for the trade to make sense.  That is why I suggested Chicago.  I do think they could do a trade, still have enough left, and perhaps most importantly be a place Melo might actually agree to go to. 

So I would rate it something like Brooklyn (though they have no pieces so can be eliminated at the moment), Chicago, and Cleveland as the three most likely places for various reasons.  And yes I said Cleveland.  If the Love and James experiment doesn't work, I could easily see a Love for Anthony trade making sense for both teams, and if Melo really wants to win, I could see him agreeing to go to Cleveland to play with James and Irving.  Cleveland is less than an hour flight from NY so his wife and family could theoretically stay put and Melo gets to have a real chance at multiple rings, playing with the best player in the world, as he rides off into the sunset of his career.

Chicago and Houston I would say are the most likely spots because those teams can match salaries and have decent young talent to offer for Melo and they give Melo the opportunity to win. I could also see a three team deal between NY/LA/Cleveland in which LA gets Love, Cleveland gets Anthony, and New York gets Russell/Randle/Clarkson/Hibbert. That deal only happens if LA is that high on Love, which I'm not sure they are or will be.

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 05:46:53 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I think the chances Melo comes to Boston is lower the 1%. City doesn't fit his needs, in division trade, phil Jackson doesn't like the Celtics, and our team is not what I believe melo is looking for. Like others have said if we had another all-star on our team it would increase our chances. I'm still waiting for DA to get us a center.

I would hope the chances that the snitchster would come to Boston would be less than 0%.  The snitchster is the antithesis of what Ainge is building and the kind of basketball Stevens is coaching.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 11:21:47 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Pelicans would take a shot if it's Melo and Calderon for Gordon, Holiday, a filler and a future pick.

Phil Jackson would need more surgery to fix the damage caused by his uncontrollable laughter from this trade offer.

If we cannot TRUMP that offer, then Danny should be fired immediately.

Smitty77
That isn't that bad of an offer if Holiday is healthy (we all know Gordon has issues, though is currently healthy).  I mean Jrue is only 24 and Gordon is still just 26.  That is pretty decent production and both are clear upgrades in the backcourt.  Probably depends on what the draft pick is looking like and what the "filler" actually is.  That said, Anthony won't go to New Orleans so it would be a moot point.   

What I think might be interesting is the Bulls offering Rose for Anthony basically straight up (assuming Rose shows he is healthy and relatively back in form).

When the heck is the last time Jrue has truly been healthy???  He has played in a total of 74 games the last two years combined.  And he put up his big numbers in Philly!!!  Should that even count??:-))

Jrue is done.

Smitty77

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Phil Jax does NOT give a flying leap about him coming to Boston is he can get the most chips from the Celtics!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 12:12:53 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Phil Jax does NOT give a flying leap about him coming to Boston is he can get the most chips from the Celtics!!!!

Smitty77

It won't matter if Carmelo says no.

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 03:37:30 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've said it before in a few other threads.  Melo compares favorably to 2007 Paul Pierce and is basically at the same point of his career.  I'd make a pretty competitive offer for him.  You aren't winning a title with him alone, but I believe he could be a key part of a champion.

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 08:33:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I've said it before in a few other threads.  Melo compares favorably to 2007 Paul Pierce and is basically at the same point of his career.  I'd make a pretty competitive offer for him

I think PP had a better attitude and was not such a prima donna.

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I've said it before in a few other threads.  Melo compares favorably to 2007 Paul Pierce and is basically at the same point of his career.  I'd make a pretty competitive offer for him

I think PP had a better attitude and was not such a prima donna.

You are right, but you're probably thinking more of the 2008-2012 PP than the pre-2007 PP.  If you really try to dial your mind back, you might remember this (from Woj):

According to a league executive, Paul Pierce has finally told team management that unless the Celtics come out of this week with a talented veteran co-star for him, they should expect him to make a public declaration soon after Thursday's draft that he wants a trade.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pierces-patience-running-053000866--nba.html
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah and don't forget Pierce's embarrassing press conference with the bandage wrapped around his head after he blew a playoff game.  Pierce became a mature player at just about the same time he got a great team around him.

I'd be more concerned about Melo's tendency to get frustrated and inefficient on the court when his game's not working than any general attitude issue.

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 01:38:23 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Think the Kings would have any interest in trading for melo? Rondo Melo DMC

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
Think the Kings would have any interest in trading for melo? Rondo Melo DMC

The kings don't have much to offer. Remember they sold off their future to Philly to clear up cap space. Also if I remember correct Karl and Anthony weren't on the best of terms after Melo left Denver.