Author Topic: new Melo trade article  (Read 7698 times)

new Melo trade article
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
The New York Knicks aren't ready to engage in trade talks involving Carmelo Anthony, but Zach Lowe reports "they're getting closer."

When Anthony signed his deal in July of 2014, Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the belief within his camp was it was better to take the money from the Knicks and he could attempt to be traded if they were unable to become contenders.

Lowe followed up on the initial report by agreeing with Chris Herring's statement that the Knicks will discuss trading Anthony if they struggle as they did during the 14-15 season.

Anthony has a no-trade clause and a trade kicker in his deal.

I wonder what it would cost to get him if the knicks were stinking it up and they wanted to trade him. Unfortunatly there are just not that many gets that are stars and look like they will be traded soon. It would come down to what we would have to give up. His contract doesn't really scare me anymore with the cap increases. Probably would have to be something based around Lee's expiring contract.

Re: new Melo trade article
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pelicans would take a shot if it's Melo and Calderon for Gordon, Holiday, a filler and a future pick.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:54:46 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Pelicans would take a shot if it's Melo and Calderon for Gordon, Holiday, a filler and a future pick.

Phil Jackson would need more surgery to fix the damage caused by his uncontrollable laughter from this trade offer.

If we cannot TRUMP that offer, then Danny should be fired immediately.

Smitty77

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The New York Knicks aren't ready to engage in trade talks involving Carmelo Anthony, but Zach Lowe reports "they're getting closer."

When Anthony signed his deal in July of 2014, Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the belief within his camp was it was better to take the money from the Knicks and he could attempt to be traded if they were unable to become contenders.

Lowe followed up on the initial report by agreeing with Chris Herring's statement that the Knicks will discuss trading Anthony if they struggle as they did during the 14-15 season.

Anthony has a no-trade clause and a trade kicker in his deal.

I wonder what it would cost to get him if the knicks were stinking it up and they wanted to trade him. Unfortunatly there are just not that many gets that are stars and look like they will be traded soon. It would come down to what we would have to give up. His contract doesn't really scare me anymore with the cap increases. Probably would have to be something based around Lee's expiring contract.
link?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 12:02:02 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Phil Jackson would need more surgery to fix the damage caused by his uncontrollable laughter from this trade offer.

Smitty77
Ya never know. Melo isn't holding up well and Knicks can probably move both players to other teams. They could turn it into three first, cap space/exemption and a few young growing players. Kind of what C's can offer straight up without adding other teams. Yet Knicks get Melo out of division if it's to Pelicans.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 12:17:56 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Smitty77

to be completely honest, Melo is a HUGE upgrade over whatever we have at SF, but

with our direction of getting younger and Melo's age and massive contract...is it worth trading for him and trading our picks for?

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Smitty77

Yeah I don't see a snowballs chance of Jackson excepting that deal.

Regardless of what people think about Melo he'd be an amazing fit here in Boston with the roster as it is constructed. He can be the main man and the focal point of the offense with plenty of floor spacers, play makers, and hustle guys around him.

He isn't my ideal candidate to bring in here. But he would sure make us a top four squad in the East.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Smitty77

to be completely honest, Melo is a HUGE upgrade over whatever we have at SF, but

with our direction of getting younger and Melo's age and massive contract...is it worth trading for him and trading our picks for?

Without costing us Smart or Crowder, I think any deal would work out for Boston. Don't forget, Ray, Paul and KG were over 30. 
Melo's also had less game mileage on his body than most 30+, considering the Knicks years and lack of playoff games.
5 years of all-star Melo would be just dandy with me.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Here's the issue with a potential trade for Melo.

1. The Knicks may not want to trade Melo to a division rival, especially since they are run by Phil Jackson who I don't think wants to help the franchise he's battled against in the past. I agree the Celtics have a relatively decent package if the Knicks are aiming for a trade that will help them rebuild, but because the Celtics and the Knicks are in the same division, I don't see the Knicks trading Melo to Boston unless its an offer they can't refuse. To put it into a better perspective, the Lakers had a pretty good package for Demarcus Cousins with the #2 pick (Russell), Randle, and Clarkson, but the reason why the Kings didn't pull the trigger is because they didn't want to help the Lakers and have to face DMC 4 times a year. The Knicks might think the same if they were to deal Melo to Boston.

2. Melo has a no-trade cause, which means he has all the negotiating power on his side. He can choose where he wants to go if the Knicks trade him. To me, the reason why he re-signed in New York is not because he wanted to stay a Knick necessarily but so that he could make the most money and decide which team he wanted to go to next in case things were to go wrong in NY. If he is on the market, I'm pretty sure he won't choose Boston. The Celtics don't have much to offer to Melo currently as far as what he wants. Melo wants to be on a team that is good, has a great nightlife, and/or has a buddy on his team. The Celtics don't have any real stars on the team and if they traded for him, they more than likely would have to trade the guys who could become stars, like Smart, to get Melo. If Rondo was still here, I think Melo would give it some thought, but Rondo isn't, and I'm not sure CBS wants a diva on the team. I think the teams Melo would most likely say yes to are LA, Houston, Miami, Chicago, or Dallas off the top of my head.

3. I only want Melo on this team if I know other guys are coming too. Melo alone on this team isn't enough. It's a step in the right direction, but the Celtics need more than just him. If that doesn't happen, then the Celtics will be saddled with Melo's ginormous contract that will more than likely be an albatross around year 4 or 5.

I would welcome Melo, but I'm not too confident in him coming here, and if he does, I think the Celtics will need more than just him to be a contender.

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
To trade for Melo we'd need to offer Smart and at least one of the Nets picks.

I think going after Melo could very well be worth it, but without a star on board already, I'm not sure Melo would agree to come here.  Not to mention that we could find ourselves in pretty much the same spot as the Knicks were a couple seasons ago.  Pretty good, but still first or second round fodder.

Perhaps a KG-like scenario could work out where we first trade for a secondary star (perhaps using the 2016 Nets pick), and then trade for Melo by packaging a handful of young players and a handful of picks.

I think it'll only happen if Melo asks for a trade first and specifically lists the Celts as one of his accepted destinations.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 12:47:36 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Assuming our Brooklyn pick is looking as good as we hope it will be and Sully steps up his game another notch this year, what lineup would you play with Melo if it cost us something like Lee, JJ, Sully, Hunter, and the Brooklyn 2016 pick and our pick next year?

To me, I would play him at PF and start Crowder next to him. This depth chart would be as good as anyone in the East not named Cleveland, and I think we could give Cleveland a run for their money in a series given our youth and defensive pressure:

PG: Smart, IT, Rozier
SG: Bradley, Turner
SF: Crowder, PJIII
PF: Melo, KO, Mickey
C: AJ, Zeller

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Price would be too steep for us to be worth it, unless with next year's cap room there's ample believe that we might be the front runners to land a star if Anthony was around. That's a big IF though, and I'm not sure what the reputation he might have among stars of the league to want to play with him (given his need to have the ball in his hands) and lack of defense.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

Smitty77
That isn't that bad of an offer if Holiday is healthy (we all know Gordon has issues, though is currently healthy).  I mean Jrue is only 24 and Gordon is still just 26.  That is pretty decent production and both are clear upgrades in the backcourt.  Probably depends on what the draft pick is looking like and what the "filler" actually is.  That said, Anthony won't go to New Orleans so it would be a moot point.   

What I think might be interesting is the Bulls offering Rose for Anthony basically straight up (assuming Rose shows he is healthy and relatively back in form). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
a few points:

1. I'm not sure we would have to trade Smart. Remember this is all assuming that things are going bad in NY and they want to move him. Saving money would be a main motivation, so structuring a deal where they save the most might be the main thing for them.

2. That trade kicker is big, but I think it is to our advantage. For it to make any sense for us to get Melo we would have to be already playing well. Like over .500 ball or else we would just be the Boston Knicks. Also, Boston is pretty close to NY. We are one of the only teams he could go to and not have to uproot his life in NY if he didn't want to.

3. There are no guarantees on getting other players. It would be nice if we could have 2 trades at once but that really never happens. Even getting Ray before getting KG was pretty rare. but if we are already a bit over .500, then we get Melo and get better we would be in a better position to add another star than if we sat on our hands.

4. I like that idea of playing Melo at the 4. I guess because it worked for PP. I'm also really high on Crowder. That Smart, AB, Crowder, Melo, AJ lineup looks really good. 4 D guys to back Melo up.

5. I don't think Phil would care THAT much about trading Melo in the same division. You would assume that NY would be bad for a few years (though maybe not, it is NY so they may be able to sign guys, but there are not that many guys available in the next few years) and Melo is already older. If it was a young guy, yeah trade him as far away as you can, but I'm not sure it matters that much with Melo.

6. For every reason why trading for Melo makes sense there are probably more reasons why NY would just keep him. A big city needs a big name. Who else are they going to get? exc.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
a few points:

1. I'm not sure we would have to trade Smart. Remember this is all assuming that things are going bad in NY and they want to move him. Saving money would be a main motivation, so structuring a deal where they save the most might be the main thing for them.

2. That trade kicker is big, but I think it is to our advantage. For it to make any sense for us to get Melo we would have to be already playing well. Like over .500 ball or else we would just be the Boston Knicks. Also, Boston is pretty close to NY. We are one of the only teams he could go to and not have to uproot his life in NY if he didn't want to.

3. There are no guarantees on getting other players. It would be nice if we could have 2 trades at once but that really never happens. Even getting Ray before getting KG was pretty rare. but if we are already a bit over .500, then we get Melo and get better we would be in a better position to add another star than if we sat on our hands.

4. I like that idea of playing Melo at the 4. I guess because it worked for PP. I'm also really high on Crowder. That Smart, AB, Crowder, Melo, AJ lineup looks really good. 4 D guys to back Melo up.

5. I don't think Phil would care THAT much about trading Melo in the same division. You would assume that NY would be bad for a few years (though maybe not, it is NY so they may be able to sign guys, but there are not that many guys available in the next few years) and Melo is already older. If it was a young guy, yeah trade him as far away as you can, but I'm not sure it matters that much with Melo.

6. For every reason why trading for Melo makes sense there are probably more reasons why NY would just keep him. A big city needs a big name. Who else are they going to get? exc.

The thing is, Melo has to agree to any trade, and I don't think he'll agree to be traded to a team that doesn't have any stars already on board.  Otherwise he's just agreeing to remain in purgatory in a different (less glamorous) location.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain