Author Topic: isaiah thomas-how to make him even better  (Read 8492 times)

isaiah thomas-how to make him even better
« on: September 05, 2015, 05:20:45 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
considering isaiah joined after mid season and was thrown in  with so many players and combo's and still produced his magic-
 also consider his back injury and how something like that effects your whole game from shooting to contact,nobody posed the question was he fullt recovered by playoffs
who and how could brad make isiah even better
what players would you surround him with on both ends
how could brad build him to superstar status(i use that word loosely)
do you want players that spread the floor ,jerebco,kelly,zeller  with amir /lee for rebounding and run them to death and let isaiah go to hoop
there were times that isaiah just terrorized other teams defence and another weapon he has is drawing fouls
so could or should isiah have offense built around him
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:54:08 AM by rollie mass »

Re: isaiah thomas-how to make him even better
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 05:42:38 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
a few years ago my sons team had a mercurial point guard,the best in england and always had been - like a young isaiah
everybody called him not a team player but we were undefeated-i kept defending him, why should he give the ball up to a guy whose chance of scoring was so much lower-my son was a 6-5 point guard as fast as this boy who was 5-10 but he had so many change of speeds ,vertical and hang time along with globetrotter dribbling skills and could shoot with unlimited range  all coupled with volcanic temperment,so my kid sat the bench
i loved watching this prodigee play even at my sons expense but teamates and coaches everywhere he went pushed him out
seems like isiah gets around also
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:52:46 AM by rollie mass »

Re: isiah thomas-how to make him even better
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 05:47:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He spells his name Isaiah.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 05:55:21 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
tp for spelling -thanks

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Get him to play some D.  Worst defensive player on the team last year.  If he was an average defender he'd be a great player.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Get him to play some D.  Worst defensive player on the team last year.  If he was an average defender he'd be a great player.

I went to ESPN's real plus/minus to try and prove you wrong and I ended up proving you right:-))

IT is the 73rd worst defender out of 83 PG's.  OUCH!!!

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/1

I will support your argument now and shut up!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

Ummm Luigi says hi.

I watched most of the games and I always thought IT would get posted up on a lot, but it surprised me how little it happened.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
tp-tp-tp-that post of shoe

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
watched lee tapes he gets good position on defensive board ,he just seems in right place and- get the ball out quickly-i don't get it,he doesn't fit at all-he may have fit with golden state and a upgradefor wallace but sully should start-to meits lee that has to prove himself in celtics system

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Trade for Anthony Davis

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 03:44:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Stilts

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
He's just too small to be really efective defensively but he can certainly get better. The funny thing is, the perfect SG for him is someone like Marcus Smart (or Eric Bledsoe, actually) which is to say a strong, fast guard who can defend both 1's and 2's and Thomas can be hidden a little bit.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Trade him because we need Marcus Smart to be our pg....not our sg. Marcus has the leadership qualities and emphasis on defense that KG did. We also want Marcus to learn how to post up other points like Kidd and GP did and having him play the 2 and defended by the 2 will not help with that. Also the kid needs to be a pg in order to ever reach his full potential, IMO, and he needs to be our primary ball handler starting this season.

I really like IT but not for us and our developing team. IT is great at interviews and he is friends with basically everyone, and he also tries recruiting for us......I like him a lot. But if Indy offered a package around Myles Turner for IT I would do it.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 06:17:29 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I went to ESPN's real plus/minus to try and prove you wrong and I ended up proving you right:-))

IT is the 73rd worst defender out of 83 PG's.  OUCH!!!

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/1

I will support your argument now and shut up!!!

Smitty77

Advanced defensive Metrics aren't as straight forward as offensive ones, idk if he's THAT bad.

I didn't watch a whole lot of him before he came here, but in his time here I've been impressed by the effort he puts forward on D. His size puts him at a severe disadvantage against almost every opposing guard in the league and that's not gonna change. Hence why he's best used as a microwave kinda instant offense 6th man. He's Jamal Crawford level at that, but if you start him he's gonna be burned more often by better players, this limiting his overall impact.

I really like the idea of a Smart/Rozier/Thomas/Hunter back-court if they all progress well and Rozier can develop his off-ball skills the way Smart has. There's a lot of versatility there because their skill-sets mesh well. I expect Smart to take a big step forward this year, becoming our lead ball-carrier in the starting line-up while he also can play more off-ball next to IT or Rozier. TR is going to be a very good defender, IMO. I think he'll get a chance in that Phil Pressey spark-plug role at the end of the bench this year, and mesh with our other guards.

Thomas is the perfect 20-25 mpg 6th man for what we hope this group grows into. His defiences on D can be covered up by any of the other guys so you have the versatility to go with the hot shooting hand or best defender, etc. Hunter gives us a true shooting guard with great length, a very high BBIQ, capable ball-handler with good defensive instincts and lights-out shooting range. Compliments the rest of them really well. I think he could see a little time in 3 guard line-ups or nights where were shooting poorly. If Rozier and Hunter show good development, it kinda leaves Bradley as the odd man out in the future. But if we do see that good development from the rookies, Bradley just doesn't fit as well.

I think Thomas needs to stick to what he does well because Ainge will put guys around him that can all play effectively. While I think Ainge got him mostly because the price was so low he could likely flip him again for better value, I also think we could see him be the instant-offense guy on the next C's contender if all goes right.