Author Topic: That Rondo Thread  (Read 43078 times)

Re: That Rondo Thread
« Reply #225 on: December 01, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Adding Rondo in place of Turner wouldn't help us in any of the areas in which we are weak, and it would weaken us in areas in which we are strong.

Personally, I'd like to see him head to New York to throw lobs to Porzinger.

We have lot of weak areas. Rondo is a better game manager than either Turner or Thomas (at least for the first 3.5 quarters - tends to self-destruct in a big role in the clutch with his FT and shooting issues). 

That's not so important now, but if we actually had real offensive players to set-up and not just a bunch of defensive role players who let IT and ET play-act as #1 options than that weakness would become much more problematic. Turner in particular has always struggled to play with major offensive talent and IT's no saint in this regard (ditched by Sac and Pho for just this reason)

I think a Rondo/IT dynamic could work very well offensively. A great ying-yang. Rondo as the Jason Kidd game manager, IT as the JET closer.

Of course Smart could turn the corner as a playmaker (he's already got the unselfish facilitator mindset down, he just needs to actually create something) and make this conversation moot, but I'm not convinced about that. Seems to be settling into a strictly secondary playmaking niche.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #226 on: December 01, 2015, 05:23:36 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
NO
Right now Rondo's on his best behavior, You just can't trust Rondo with a new contract, he'll go back to playing no D, killing ball movement, fighting with coaches, and missing important free throws.

« Reply #227 on: December 01, 2015, 06:07:03 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Love RR even when I'm mad at him, but I don't want him for our team. Thanks for the memories.

This is about RR, but I'm sad Cousins is playing Thursday, Kings are TERRIBLE without him then add to it that RR wants to destroy us and we will have a tough time. This W will feel extra good when Cousins sees that his future team is solid w/o him and will be GREAT with him! ;)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Re: Bring Rondo Back!!!
« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2015, 12:28:25 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
NO
Right now Rondo's on his best behavior, You just can't trust Rondo with a new contract, he'll go back to playing no D, killing ball movement, fighting with coaches, and missing important free throws. 

This is just silly. I've spelled out how that one quote was taken out of context on here a number of times already. I'll just like you this time http://www.celticslife.com/2015/01/danny-ainge-defends-rondos-i-havent.html

« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2015, 12:57:49 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
George Karl was summoned by DeMarcus Cousins and Rajon Rondo last week for a meeting.

This was supposed to be a 15-minute discussion but instead became a positive two-hour meeting.

“It was a powerful meeting for all three of us,” Rondo told Yahoo Sports.

Rondo and Cousins were also able to get some lingering frustrations off their chest, and Karl offered back his thoughts.

“We asked him to just sit with us so we can pick his brain and share our thoughts,” Rondo told Yahoo Sports. “What I love about [Karl] is he’s very open. George is not a dictator. ‘What can we do positively? What can we do to improve?’

“If you can come into a meeting with no egos and everyone was humble, it just works out for the better.”

Rondo and Cousins told Karl they thought his film sessions would be better with more constructive criticism and teaching.

Rondo and Cousins said they also told Karl not to hesitate to use them as examples in film sessions.

“I told him to start with me. Whatever I can do to help the team,” Rondo told Yahoo Sports. “If you have to bully me or call me out, I can accept that. I’m a 10-year vet. I learned from [former Boston Celtics coach] Doc [Rivers] and the past guys that it has to start with the vets who have the most leeway on the team or the most responsibility.

“[Cousins and I] are both trying to change the culture, change the organization.”

Our little boy is growing up!

« Reply #231 on: December 02, 2015, 06:34:43 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Look

I told you guys on the Celtics blog

" I don't play defense"
That was just Rondo, being Rondo, like when he said he and Coach Karl were not getting along.  Rondo, when healthy, is a terrific defensive player.  Rondo, however, is not a one man team, which is what I believe a lot of people expected.  Nothing was ever enough for fickle Boston fans....if he rebounded well, they wanted steals, and if he got a boat load of assists they wanted points.  I put Rondo right up there with Bob Cousy and Magic Johnson as the most fun point guards to watch play.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #232 on: December 02, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The only place I want Rondo is on a commentary team with Rick Carlisle in about 10 years

Oh my God.  The Rondo commentary would be amazing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I will never want a guy who his coach and quit on his team in the playoffs
He is playing for himself, not for the team
Ainge and CBS knew this and made a wise decision

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:16:36 AM by wdleehi »

« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2015, 12:31:05 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Whats the over under on Rondo getting a tripple double against us? I bet he does and we still win.

« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo is definitely going off.  It will be fun.

« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2015, 02:17:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
"Sometime Cuz's emotions get the best of him, but that's what makes him great, what makes KG great, what makes me great."

~ Rajon Rondo
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"Sometime Cuz's emotions get the best of him, but that's what makes him great, what makes KG great, what makes me great."

~ Rajon Rondo
Who told Rondo he's great? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2015, 02:29:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Look

I told you guys on the Celtics blog

" I don't play defense"
That was just Rondo, being Rondo, like when he said he and Coach Karl were not getting along.  Rondo, when healthy, is a terrific defensive player.  Rondo, however, is not a one man team, which is what I believe a lot of people expected.  Nothing was ever enough for fickle Boston fans....if he rebounded well, they wanted steals, and if he got a boat load of assists they wanted points.  I put Rondo right up there with Bob Cousy and Magic Johnson as the most fun point guards to watch play.
Really???? you mean when over the last year and a half here we were substantially better when he missed games we were just being fickle???

I loved good Rondo. His 2012 ECF was incredibly fun to watch as were countless other Rondo games, but from the time he tore his ACL to the start of this season Rajon Rondo was a very bad influence on the teams he played on. Dont blame that on the fans.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2015, 02:35:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

~ Rajon Rondo
Who told Rondo he's great? :P

Precisely. Rondo did.

The article by Jackie Mac with that quote goes on to say this:

"Rondo, of course, is no analytics darling; although he's racked up four triple doubles (and a 20-assist game) over his (Kings) career, his Real Plus-Minus ranks 102nd in the NBA (between Ramon Sessions and Trey Burke) and 20th among point guards."
Mike

(My name is not Mike)