Author Topic: Pierce almost came back  (Read 3861 times)

Pierce almost came back
« on: September 04, 2015, 05:41:37 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/13568376/los-angeles-clippers-coach-doc-rivers-yet-decided-role-paul-pierce

Also intriguing is the fact Rivers suggested that Pierce's choice of playing locations this season might have come down to Boston or Los Angeles. One year after the Washington Wizards won a tug-of-war for his services, Rivers reveled in getting Pierce to sign a three-year, $10 million contract with the Clippers this offseason.

"I'm really looking forward to him. You know, I think he wanted to go one of two places: One, he'd come back [to Boston], or he wanted to finish his career at home where he grew up," Rivers said while standing courtside at TD Garden as part of a fundraising event for ABCD Hoops Dreams that also featured current Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

Interesting, and nice to know, not that it does anything for us now. I think it probably came down to money as well. LAC gave him a 3 year contract, i would assume PP does not play 3 more years and get to keep all the money. Makes sense for LAC to do that and it really doesn't for us.

For proof that money is a big issue consider:

Rivers admitted he was disappointed when Pierce chose Washington instead of Los Angeles last summer.

"I wanted to smack him over that one," joked Rivers. "Of course we didn't have any money to give him. Washington had the midlevel; we offered the minimum. And I thought the minimum was a better deal, but he didn't. No, he did the right thing."

I know a lo of people will say they don't want him back as he would get in the way of other players development. I'll disagree preemptively. Paul would be great for this team and I think we are going to win games with or with out him but obviously he would have given us at least a few more wins and you can never count him out when it's playoff time.

I'm not mad he didn't come back, he made a smart choice. But I am happy to know it was LAC or us. I would have been really sad to hear that PP had no interest in coming back.

Re: Pierce almost came back
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 06:34:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Maybe next year .  If Clippers loose the title race again . 2017 could be interesting year . 

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:38:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Maybe next year .  If Clippers loose the title race again . 2017 could be interesting year .

Pierce has 2 years plus a third partially guaranteed year. Unless we trade for him, he's not coming back as a player.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 08:43:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I love Pierce to death.  Favorite Celtic of all-time.

That being said, I wouldn't have wanted him back on this current Celtics team.  Would much rather watch him play for a "win now" team and get to watch him go deep into the playoffs on a contender. The Paul Pierce of the playoffs is an absolute thrill to watch.  Even at his advanced age. 

That's just not happening with this team yet.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Honestly anyone who doesn't want PP back is not a fan.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
We have the worst fans.

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Bro, I'll take Pierce with a walking cane. I'll take him with playing in a wheelchair. Pierce is the shiat.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 05:36:57 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

There's a difference between wanting PP back and wanting him to have a shot at another title... he deserves to be on a contender he's earned that right and I'm happy for him, though I wish we had been in a position to offer him that situation.

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

We have the worst fans.

Those are some scorching hot takes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 12:22:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I don't really believe this.

Pierce is basically only still in the NBA to win championships.
Signing with Boston would be almost pointless for him and for us.
He'd be missing his opportunity to join contenders and make a real difference to a championship squad and he'd be taking minutes from Crowder, Jerebko, P Jones etc....
At this stage of his career he needs to be a 4th or 5th option. With us he'd be our 1st or 2nd option at 38 years old.
Just doesn't make sense.

Hopefully we can get him back in the office or locker room in a different capacity- but on the court is just not a good option for either party right now.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 12:53:46 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd love for the Truth to get another ring. Regardless of whether he ever comes back to play or work in the FO, #34 will hang in the rafters forever-- that's enough for me.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
I don't really believe this.

Pierce is basically only still in the NBA to win championships.
Signing with Boston would be almost pointless for him and for us.
He'd be missing his opportunity to join contenders and make a real difference to a championship squad and he'd be taking minutes from Crowder, Jerebko, P Jones etc....
At this stage of his career he needs to be a 4th or 5th option. With us he'd be our 1st or 2nd option at 38 years old.
Just doesn't make sense.

Hopefully we can get him back in the office or locker room in a different capacity- but on the court is just not a good option for either party right now.

I'm not upset with Paul for going to LAC but it would have also made sense for him to come back. He could have taken a mentor role, and if we are able to swing a trade for a star we could be a contender too, I'm not convinced that LAC have that great a shot at a title, especially in the West.

I do believe it, because Doc said it, why would Doc lie to make us save face? If Paul had said it, I could agree that maybe he was just being nice, but why would Doc say it if t wasn't true?

Also, PP wouldn't be getting in the way of anyone except maybe Crowder. Jones might get cut and Jerebko is what he is at this point.

Sadly, if PP did come back he would be on a celtics team that was better than most of the Celtics teams he ever played on.

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 04:48:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
We have too many players on the roster as it is. This wouldn't have been a good year for him to come back. Maybe next season he can come back in look good in a suit on the bench all year and teach the youngsters a thing or two in practice and soak up being back in Boston. I'd love to see him contribute and get another ring with the Clippers this year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 11:19:30 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
i'd love to see PP win another ring. IMO, late in an NBA player's career, he can do two things:

1. Sign on a contender for one more moment of glory
2. Play out the rest of your career in front of a home crowd who loves you

Pierce went one way. KG went the other. Either way, I'm happy for them and I'm glad we were a part of their HoF career.

- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 02:21:37 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Here? To what?

He made the right choice.

Show CP3 and Co. how to WIN, Captain. Go do your thing, PP34.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76ZXTYZX14