Author Topic: SI Redraft of 2010  (Read 8524 times)

Re: SI Redraft of 2010
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Because September.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
That was a bad re-draft list. Maybe if it's also based on specific teams and what came the following or previous drafts?

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2015, 12:28:55 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yeah.  I can't believe people are so high on Monroe.  I'm very glad we didn't sign him to a max deal last summer.
Yes because having a 24 year old center who hasn't been injury prone and who has averaged over 15.5/9.5 the last 4 years would be a horrible thing.

I'm really hoping Monroe averages something like 18 pts 10 reb 3 ast 1 stl 1 blk as a full time center with the Bucks and becomes a multiple time All-Star.  Always liked him as a player.  Bummed the Celts couldn't get him this summer (and no, I don't at all buy that the Celts weren't interested).

I don't know it was said that the Celtics weren't interested in him at all shockingly enough.

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2015, 12:38:53 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
This is a weird list.  Monroe over Cousins?

I wouldn't even take Paul George over Cousins.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2015, 01:34:41 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Yeah.  I can't believe people are so high on Monroe.  I'm very glad we didn't sign him to a max deal last summer.
Yes because having a 24 year old center who hasn't been injury prone and who has averaged over 15.5/9.5 the last 4 years would be a horrible thing.

I'm really hoping Monroe averages something like 18 pts 10 reb 3 ast 1 stl 1 blk as a full time center with the Bucks and becomes a multiple time All-Star.  Always liked him as a player.  Bummed the Celts couldn't get him this summer (and no, I don't at all buy that the Celts weren't interested).

I don't know it was said that the Celtics weren't interested in him at all shockingly enough.

It really doesn't surprise me all that much. I mean I'm sure they did their legwork, got an idea of how much he wanted and what other teams were considering offering him and just decided the price was too high for a guy like him.

If there's one thing we know about Stevens it's that he values versatility and defense. Monroe isn't a very versatile player, and he struggles mightily on D. He's a very good low-post scorer, one of the best in the league. He also is a plus rebounder and excellent passer for his size. He's just a smidgen below what I pray Sully becomes without a jump shot. But that's about where it ends for him.

He has to be a 5, because he's too slow on defense. His best skill, low post scoring, basically necessitates he play there because his lack of any kinda jump shot and rebounding skills mean you always want him near the basket. And the guy you want playing next to him needs to be both an automatic mid-range shooter (at the very least, I'd prefer he also be at least respectable from deep) and a plus defender with shot-blocking ability and high athleticism. Players matching that description are seriously hard to come by and are almost always 4's (see: Serge Ibaka). For a newly signed Monroe to be most effective, he needs to get a lot of PT, so that guy you match him with has to as well. That can really limit how you can best utilize your bench, your ability to tailor your line-up to exploit weaknesses or to develop younger players.

I get why people like him and they wanted him. He's a really good post scorer and rebounder, he fits our team age wise and you can realistically say that in a better situation he could make an ASG one day. But even if he does, signing him is just too constraining to your versatility. You have to tailor a team around his strengths and weaknesses to justify big money, but he's just not good enough overall to make you a contender if you do. I think Stevens and Ainge just didn't want to do that, especially at this point in the rebuild.

Perhaps even more importantly, I don't think Ainge wanted to sacrifice a large chunk of his flexibility for a guy as limited and constraining as Monroe. That flexibility is the key to our rebuild and I really don't think Ainge was gonna give anyone short of the top-tier guys near max money unless he believed they were could contribute to the next Celtics championship contender unless they took a short term deal like Amir did. If things regress for us this year, Ainge is reserving the right to go for a total youth movement with a few new lottery picks. It's a lot harder to do that with Monroe.

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 02:38:07 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Their list looks pretty good-to-great, not sure where the confusion lies.

May think about moving Ekpe Oduh a few spots up, but that's being a little nitpicky.

Pretty sure almost everyone in this thread has already showed why it is such a poor list. Not too much confusion about how bad it is.

I'm still blown away by anyone putting Monroe at 2, heh. He should barely be in the top 5, imo, and I'd put him at 7. Landry Fields being on this list proves that this guy doesn't even watch the game. Fields has averaged 15 MPG the last three seasons at like 3 PPG. He's barely a rotational player at this point so having him ahead of guys like Bradley and Turner (let alone a bunch of others) is a joke.

I'm 99.9% sure he was joking. The Ekpe Udoh comment was the give-away.

[img width= height=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kox98K-NdLE[/img]
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Some people have suggested that the reason the Celts never met with him, or ultimately signed him, is that they weren't interested.

If the Celts had been interested, naturally Monroe would have been dying to get a meeting with the Celts on the very first day of free agency, right?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2015, 01:58:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
To be clear, when I mentioned minutes and injuries, I was referring to Butler.

I think the point about what Kawhi  would have become on a different team is a good one.  I guess the question is whether we are talking about a redraft  based on who the players are now, or how we think they'd have turned out on the teams they would have gone to at a particular spot in the draft.

For my money, Kawhi is a more valuable player than kyrie, even if both are totally healthy.  A killer crossover is nice, but dominating on defense at perhaps the most important defensive position in today's game, while still scoring when it matters most, is a huge combination.

But if we are just talking about the raw talent they had when they came into the league, kryie wins. But then why are we talking about a redraft  at all?
Except dominating on defense is only better if you aren't your team's best player and have players around you that can score.  Defense is nice, but you win playing offense.  And to call Irving's offensive game a killer cross over is quite offensive to Irving.  He is a superb all around offensive player.  Excellent shooter, great court vision, excellent passer, doesn't turn it over much, along with the amazing ball handling ability.  He is also very big for a PG at 6'3".  The difference between him and Leonard on offense is IMMENSE. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2015, 02:31:19 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
When it comes to Leonard and Irving, it should come down to who is more capable of being the best player on a good team. Leonard has only ever played on good teams and whenever Irving has been the best player, the teams have generally been bad. Including last season when the Cavs went 1-8 with him but without James. Which on an unrelated note is probably the biggest difference between him and John Wall.

If I'm assuming Leonard is one of the league's best players by his fifth year - which is likely - I'd pick him first.

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Except dominating on defense is only better if you aren't your team's best player and have players around you that can score.  Defense is nice, but you win playing offense.  And to call Irving's offensive game a killer cross over is quite offensive to Irving.  He is a superb all around offensive player.  Excellent shooter, great court vision, excellent passer, doesn't turn it over much, along with the amazing ball handling ability.  He is also very big for a PG at 6'3".  The difference between him and Leonard on offense is IMMENSE.

Irving is a nice player offensively, it's true.

He's also a designated hitter.

Kawhi can score 15-20 points per game over a seven game series while defending the best wing player in the world better than anybody.

A team led by Irving has no shot beating a Durant team or a LeBron team.  A team with Kawhi does.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
thanks for the commentary guys.  when I first saw the list I thought it may be just me that thought it was way out of whack.