Author Topic: SI Redraft of 2010  (Read 8539 times)

SI Redraft of 2010
« on: September 03, 2015, 01:02:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Don't know if anyone else saw this yet but noticed that we have 2 players on the roster from that draft in Evan Turner and Avery Bradley.

Now I would anticipate ET sliding down a bit from that #2 slot in a redraft, falling to #23 which seemed excessive, but I noticed that AB slid to #24 from 19.  This I find headscratching particularly considering who they bumped ahead of AB.

They mentioned using win shares, VORP and BPM to drive their redraft. 

new      original
1 Paul George      10
2 Greg Monroe      7
3 John Wall      1
4 Demarcus Cousins   5
5 Gordon Hayward   9
6 Derrick Favors   3
7 Eric Bledsoe      18
8 Ed Davis      13
9 Patrick Patterson   14
10 Jeremy Lin      Undrafted
11 Trevor Booker   23
12 Lance Stephenson   40
13 Jeremy Evans      55
14 Larry Sanders   15
15 Al-Farouq Aminu   8
16 Landry Fields   39
17 Greivis Vasquez   28
18 Quincy Pondexter   26
19 Ekpe Udoh      6
20 Wesley Johnson   4
21 Cole Aldrich      11
22 Hassan Whiteside   33
23 Evan Turner      2
24 Avery Bradley   19

25 Alexey Shved      undrafted
26 Jerome Jordan   44
27 Jordan Crawford   27
28 James Anderson   20
29 Kevin Seraphim   17
30 Elijah Millsap   undrafted

Looking at these results, what's your opinion?  Are these tools now more circumspect based on these results?  Would you have a vastly different result?  Personally, I think I'd move ET and AB up 10 slots easily.

Thoughts/comments?

Re: SI Redraft of 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This is a weird list.  Monroe over Cousins?

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:12:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is a weird list.  Monroe over Cousins?

Yeah and Ekpe Udoh, Landry Fields and Jeremy Evans over Bradley?  Very unintuitive results here.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The list makes very little sense.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
That redraft is a joke.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:23:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
This is the worst redraft i ever read. Monroe after Wall. Either a drunk author, random name generator, or joke. Perhaps all 3.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one that sees this list and been left wondering what they were thinking. 

I could understand the top 7 in some order of preference -- would go with Cousins at #1 myself right now -- but after that I think it gets pretty suspect.  Other than those top 7 and possibly Stephenson and Sanders, I think AB and ET would be right there at #10 and #11 in some order.

just in case someone else wants to take a look, here's the link.
http://basketball-players.pointafter.com/stories/5171/re-picking-2010-nba-draft-paul-george-demarcus-cousins-john-wall?utm_medium=cm&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=ao.cm.ob.dt.5171&utm_term=dt

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The top of the draft is a lot dumber than the bottom of the draft, that's for sure.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
While I am huge on using stats and what not...if that list is purely based on stats, here is an example of not putting enough thought into the matter after the fact.

Whiteside was cool and all this past year, but AB has already made an all defensive team. No real reason for him to "fall."

You guys already pointed out Monroe over Cousins. Patterson and Ed Davis have no reason being that high either. Landry Fields has averaged 3.3 PPG and has only played 15 MPG the last three years, and he should be re-drafted at 16?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:54:23 PM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think the top of the re-draft is hard to screw up.

Wall - Cousins in some order at the top.  You can argue either way.

Then you've got George.

After that, Hayward.

Finally, Favors, Monroe, Bledsoe in some order.

Beyond that top grouping, it's a jumble of role players who could be ordered a number of different ways.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
I think the top of the re-draft is hard to screw up.

Wall - Cousins in some order at the top.  You can argue either way.

Then you've got George.

After that, Hayward.

Finally, Favors, Monroe, Bledsoe in some order.

Beyond that top grouping, it's a jumble of role players who could be ordered a number of different ways.

I'd still have George #1, imo. Cousins would be #1 by a longshot if he played on a better team and got to show his stuff in the playoffs so until then I guess I have him #3 even though I think he is far more talented than Wall...

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 03:17:56 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
My ranking is Cousins-George-Wall-Hayward-Bledsoe-Favors-Monroe-Bradley-Stephenson-Whiteside-Vazquez-Lin-Davis-Patterson-Turner and then the rest is a crapshoot. I do think Stephenson and Whiteside have higher ceilings than Bradley but Whiteside as of now is a one hit wonder and Stephenson was awful last year.

These rankings are dreadful no matter what stats they used. Udoh and Sanders are out of the league. Aldrich, Johnson, Fields, and Evans are fighting just to stay in the league. Aminu was in the previous group stated until he became a semi-productive player in Dallas. Pondexter and Booker are okay rotation players but nothing special. Bradley nor Turner are perfect but they are better than those guys.

Was this SI? I thought this came from somewhere else.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:50:24 PM by MJohnnyboy »

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'd still have George #1, imo.

I think there's a case to be made for George, but I don't think he's a strong enough scorer, especially against tougher defenses, to make the kind of two-way impact that Wall and Cousins do.

For me, there's not a huge distance between Wall / Cousins and George, but I feel confident drawing a line.  I could see George taking another step forward and becoming the clear-cut best of the three, though.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Don't know if anyone else saw this yet but noticed that we have 2 players on the roster from that draft in Evan Turner and Avery Bradley.

Now I would anticipate ET sliding down a bit from that #2 slot in a redraft, falling to #23 which seemed excessive, but I noticed that AB slid to #24 from 19.  This I find headscratching particularly considering who they bumped ahead of AB.

They mentioned using win shares, VORP and BPM to drive their redraft. 

new      original
1 Paul George      10
2 Greg Monroe      7
3 John Wall      1
4 Demarcus Cousins   5
5 Gordon Hayward   9
6 Derrick Favors   3
7 Eric Bledsoe      18
8 Ed Davis      13
9 Patrick Patterson   14
10 Jeremy Lin      Undrafted
11 Trevor Booker   23
12 Lance Stephenson   40
13 Jeremy Evans      55
14 Larry Sanders   15
15 Al-Farouq Aminu   8
16 Landry Fields   39
17 Greivis Vasquez   28
18 Quincy Pondexter   26
19 Ekpe Udoh      6
20 Wesley Johnson   4
21 Cole Aldrich      11
22 Hassan Whiteside   33
23 Evan Turner      2
24 Avery Bradley   19

25 Alexey Shved      undrafted
26 Jerome Jordan   44
27 Jordan Crawford   27
28 James Anderson   20
29 Kevin Seraphim   17
30 Elijah Millsap   undrafted

Looking at these results, what's your opinion?  Are these tools now more circumspect based on these results?  Would you have a vastly different result?  Personally, I think I'd move ET and AB up 10 slots easily.

Thoughts/comments?

It is really sad that this was even published. I understand they are using different parameters to create this draft but the bottom line is not a single NBA GM not even to goof troupe in Sac would agree with this ranking.

My redraft top 10.

1. P George
2. Cousins
3. Wall
4. Favors
5. Hayward
6. Monroe
7. Bledsoe
8. Whitside
9. Bradley
10. Davis
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
My ranking is Cousins-George-Wall-Hayward-Bledsoe-Favors-Monroe-Bradley-Stephenson-Whiteside-Vazquez-Lin-Davis-Patterson-Turner and then the rest is a crapshoot. I do think Stephenson and Whiteside have higher ceilings than Bradley but Whiteside as of now is a one hit wonder and Stephenson was awful last year.

These rankings are dreadful no matter what stats they used. Udoh and Sanders are out of the league. Aldrich, Johnson, Fields, and Evans are fighting just to stay in the league. Aminu was in the previous group stated until he became a semi-productive player in Dallas. Pondexter and Booker are okay rotation players but nothing special. Bradley nor Turner are perfect but they are better than those guys.

Was this SI? I thought this came from somewhere else.
provided the link above -- around the 8th post give or take.  it started from the SI site and mentions SI writers as the source