Author Topic: Sully Dominating Amir and the Raptors  (Read 4948 times)

Sully Dominating Amir and the Raptors
« on: September 02, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
https://youtu.be/s4qYx4emja8

He's matching up with Amir mostly in the beginning of the highlights. One thing seems clear that Amir sure does not look like a center at all. Sully was man handling him and everyone else. Granted it was one of his best games ever, still Amir does not look big here.

Re: Sully Dominating Amir and the Raptors
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
We're going to have the most competitive training camp in the league. 

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:38:13 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If anyone is thinking Amir Johnson is another Ibaka they'll be disappointed. Amir is not an NBA center, he'll have trouble against powerful talented PF's, never mind 7' 280 lb. centers. Amir is not 6-10 or 6-11 and long. He's got good size for an NBA PF, and he works hard. His stats are not great or even real good.

The Celtics still need a front line center, Amir can play center in a small fast line up. But the Celtics still need a presence in the middle.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
1) This reminds me of how dominant Sully can be if he stops taking long jumpers

2) Gerald Wallace really was a good inbounds passer

3) I remember Kris Humphries lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My goodness some of those lineups out there are gruesome.  I don't miss the 2014 team, that's for sure.

Sully's had some good games. 

The Raptors were pretty soft inside the last couple of years, though, which is part of why they underachieved so badly in the post-season.  With that in mind, I have my doubts about how much of a difference Amir Johnson is really going to make.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 10:54:35 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
We're going to have the most competitive training camp in the league.

With not one player among the top 87 in the league?

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 11:05:45 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
If anyone is thinking Amir Johnson is another Ibaka they'll be disappointed. Amir is not an NBA center, he'll have trouble against powerful talented PF's, never mind 7' 280 lb. centers. Amir is not 6-10 or 6-11 and long. He's got good size for an NBA PF, and he works hard. His stats are not great or even real good.

The Celtics still need a front line center, Amir can play center in a small fast line up. But the Celtics still need a presence in the middle.

His advanced stats are fantastic. He's long been a darling of the analytics group. Counting stats aren't that great, but we didn't sign him to go 18/10 every night.

If your expecting Ibaka you'll definitely be disappointed, but why would anyone be expecting that? Johnson is a plus defender from both the 4 and 5 spots. It's long been said that he's certainly at least 6'10 or 6'11 now and not the 6-9 he was listed at as a teenager. But that doesn't really matter, he's an excellent P&R defender, he knows where he needs to be, he works hard and he provides really solid interior D regardless of which position he's playing.

The NBA is quickly moving away from traditional 5's anyway. I agree he'll struggle against big, strong 7+feet, 280+lb behemoths but honestly, how many guys like that are there that are good enough on offense to be a focal point? Not many. Most of the guys that big (DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Dwight Howard) basically only score on put-backs, fast breaks and primarily rolls to the basket. Johnson's best skill is P&R defense, so without watching a whole bunch of old Raptors games I'd say that's a pretty overblown problem.  He'll struggle more with skilled back-to-the basket guys like Sullinger, Lopez and Monroe but nobody's perfect.

Seeing how the game has evolved, I think it doesn't really matter if he's playing the 4 or 5. He's still probably gonna be our best defending big on the floor and there's just not enough skilled, powerful 7 footers good enough to exploit that match-up for it to be a big concern, IMO. We managed a middle of the road defense playing Zeller and Olynyk heavy minutes at the 5. If Amir can stay healthy, I think we can be easily top 10. With him and Zeller plus Mickey waiting in the wings, I think we still need a plus defending big in the future but were in good shape for this season. He's been a pretty under-valued pick-up both here and nationally. Interior defense was a huge weakness for us last season and Amir does a lot to improve that.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 11:11:30 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
it was a fun watch. i had forgotten how sully is terrific at setting up a position and NOT being moved out of it. ha, ha...a couple of raptors seemed to bounce off of him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 11:19:27 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Enjoyed seeing Sully do good things.

Still believe Amir can be the best 2-way player on the team this year.

Bad that the majority of my focus while watching that video was on Jeff Green, and my peak levels of frustration immediately came back. That's bad...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:08:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Been saying he isn't a center since day one.

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 12:47:41 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Edit
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:10:23 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 01:48:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
it was a fun watch. i had forgotten how sully is terrific at setting up a position and NOT being moved out of it. ha, ha...a couple of raptors seemed to bounce off of him.

Haha I was thinking the same thing.
TP to KGliving for the video.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 02:19:26 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Sully has dominated Big Cous even worse b4. Shows more that Sully wastes his abilities a lot, more than it shows his opponent's inability.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sully 's game ,,even for a guy that can't jump is still under the boards ,  he does damage inside and frustrates better opponents . 

Such as waste playing him outside shooting threes .

Sully had more resounds than KO had all year I think......LOL
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:09:11 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 08:35:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Boy, did Sullinger look tired when he was walking off the court after that game.  Anyone know how many minutes he played?

He can be that player though, on a regular basis.  He is obviously very strong, relatively agile for his size, good hands, and has a great sense of the game.  Maturity and hopefully better work ethic should allow him to be a very good player on a more consistent basis.

In 2013-14 he put up 13/8.  In 2014-15 13/7.5, both in about 27 minutes.  That isn't bad but the problem is that he showed no improvement.  This season, he needs to show improvement, maturity, and leadership.  I think he has it in him to put up 16/10 in 30 minutes plus do a lot of the little things, good picks, passes, rotations that I feel he has contributed all along.