Author Topic: Sully Dominating Amir and the Raptors  (Read 4952 times)

Re: Sully Dominating Amir and the Raptors
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
We're going to have the most competitive training camp in the league.

With not one player among the top 87 in the league?
Those rankings are going to change

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 09:41:20 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Those rankings are going to change

regardless, we made the playoffs last year as the 7th seed with NO ONE in the top 87..this makes me optimistic...you gotta stay optimistic if you're a fan...

it makes me feel, we are 1 or 2 stars away from really contending...Brad Stevens is the real deal...he made a scrub like Pressey contribute, hell you can even argue half of our team are scrubs...we made small improvements during the summer and I'm excited to see how Brad works with this team, if we get similar results like last year, it makes me wish Danny will trade for a star for him to work with.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 11:25:58 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

according to si?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Having no great players but a ton of decent-to-good ones trying to secure a limited number of roles and minutes is a perfect recipe for an extremely competitive training camp.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 01:47:16 PM »

Offline notbillsimmons

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
Sully might be the best one hand rebounder in the league today.

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

If there are rankings out there that believe this team didn't have one top 87 player, they are a bit cray cray, haha.

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I was at that game and yeah, Sully was a total beast in that game.  I had pretty awesome seats, just about 15-20 rows back opposite the visitor's bench.  Considering it was such a miserable season overall, that win was awesome.

I don't think I'd read too much into the one game as indicative of how good Amir is.  Johnson's impact on that Toronto team over the last three years has far more 'plus' games than 'minus' games like that one.  Also, it seemed to me that Sully was going at Valanciunus in most of the rebound scrums.

More recently (last January), I think Danny and Brad were probably enticed by games by Amir like this one:

https://youtu.be/re65Ew1xbpk

In a lot of this game's highlights, he's matched up against Lopez, Plumlee and Garnett -- all legit 7 footers.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
is that a skill now???
I'm trying hard to find a comparison for such a skill but I fail.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
is that a skill now???
I'm trying hard to find a comparison for such a skill but I fail.

Zach Randolph does a lot of one handed rebounds.

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sully can't jump , but his butt is so huge it gives him a stable platform to claim court space when he goes for a rebound .    He clears space with his rear bulldozer

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 02:50:03 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
https://youtu.be/s4qYx4emja8

He's matching up with Amir mostly in the beginning of the highlights. One thing seems clear that Amir sure does not look like a center at all. Sully was man handling him and everyone else. Granted it was one of his best games ever, still Amir does not look big here.

How about the game where Sully 'dominated' Demarcus Cousins? 

And the one where Jeff Green shut down Lebron?

Plus there's the one where Avery Bradley shut down Dwyane Wade.

Oh and obviously we have that game where Rondo put up the huge triple double and left Miami awestruck.

Plus that game where Olynyk had 30.

You know what, if we build a team with Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully and Olynyk I recon we will dominate EVERYBODY.  Nobody will be able to touch us!!!

Oh, wait... :P lol

Sorry for the cynical tone, no offense is intended.  i just wanted to emphasis the fact that 'every dog has his day' so to speak. 

Sully happened to have a game against Johnson where all his shots just went in.  For every one of those he has another game where he misses a bunch of layups, misses a number of contested fadeaways in the post, bricks several threes, allows several easy baskets after getting tired, then picks up a flagrant/tech and gets pulled out by the coach.

To be completely honest, I think Sully and Amir are roughly on par as players.  Amir is about as good on defense as Sully is on offense.  Amir is more capable on offense than Sully is on defense.  Sully is a better rebounder, Amir a more efficient scorer.  Overall they are about on par.  The big difference is mentality - work ethic, maturity, motor.  In those areas Johnson has Sully well and truly dominated.

If Sully can get in condition and improve him mentality, then he can be a really, really good player.  Will he ever do that?  Only time can tell. 

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 02:52:02 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I was at that game and yeah, Sully was a total beast in that game.  I had pretty awesome seats, just about 15-20 rows back opposite the visitor's bench.  Considering it was such a miserable season overall, that win was awesome.

I don't think I'd read too much into the one game as indicative of how good Amir is.  Johnson's impact on that Toronto team over the last three years has far more 'plus' games than 'minus' games like that one.  Also, it seemed to me that Sully was going at Valanciunus in most of the rebound scrums.

More recently (last January), I think Danny and Brad were probably enticed by games by Amir like this one:

In a lot of this game's highlights, he's matched up against Lopez, Plumlee and Garnett -- all legit 7 footers.

KG is a million years old, Lopez has the legs of somebody who is a million years old, Plumlee was pretty much a rookie.

Not impressed tbh.

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

KG is a million years old, Lopez has the legs of somebody who is a million years old, Plumlee was pretty much a rookie.

Not impressed tbh.

That's fair, but it doesn't really matter whether you were impressed.  It's more relevant that Danny and/or Brad apparently may have been.

The only real point about mentioning KG, Lopez and Plumee is for folks to try to assess the ever elusive, "true height" of Johnson.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.