Author Topic: Is Celtic basketball "more of" a game or "more of" a sport?  (Read 4951 times)

Re: Is Celtic basketball "more of" a game or "more of" a sport?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 07:04:57 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Basketball is a sport. Individual events are games. The sport can also be correctly referred to as 'the game'. Individual games can be correctly referred to as 'sporting events'.

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 07:41:02 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't see much of a distinction. Basketball is both a game and a sport.

All professional sports are going to rely heavily on strategy, both on and off the court. However, that strategy means little without players having the athleticism to play at a very high level.  Talent trumps strategy, but both are important.

How about if I posted the same type of question on the 76's Blog?  Would that be more clear?  Isn't their strategy simply to acquire the most talented players possible?  And, until that was accomplished, they consider their contest meaningless.  Isn't this clearly just a "game"?

I doubt one would define a sport as one where the objective is simply to acquire the best players, while the games themselves are meaningless until that point is reached(?).

That's not the case with any NBA basketball team.  Not even the 76ers.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Hunting....respectable activity. Not a sport till the animals shoot back.

Also some of those chess matches in Iceland between Bobby Fisher and the Soviets came a lot closer to sport than some of the golfing we see or some of the Olympic sports we see like curling or maybe synchronized swimming

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Hunting....respectable activity. Not a sport till the animals shoot back.

Also some of those chess matches in Iceland between Bobby Fisher and the Soviets came a lot closer to sport than some of the golfing we see or some of the Olympic sports we see like curling or maybe synchronized swimming
I like to think of direct competition of an athletic nature.  Those are sports.  The other things are games (and some games are pretty athletic, like golf).  The ones that always trip me up are things like diving, gymnastics, etc. where judges and solely judges determine the outcome.  Clearly you have to be incredibly athletic and talented to participate in those activities (and not just at a high level), but there is no direct competition.  So is it a sport or is it a game. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
So are "all sports games" but "not all games are sports"?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
yep.  like squares and rectangles.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The dichotomy being presented here is complete nonsense. That something qualifies as a game doesn't preclude it from being a sport. In fact a game is merely a type of sport. Nothing more and nothing less.

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The dichotomy being presented here is complete nonsense. That something qualifies as a game doesn't preclude it from being a sport. In fact a game is merely a type of sport. Nothing more and nothing less.

Basketball is a sport. Individual events are games. The sport can also be correctly referred to as 'the game'. Individual games can be correctly referred to as 'sporting events'.

10/10.

As for what appears to be the underlying motivation of the original post -- no, armchair GM'ing doesn't stop when the team is actively trying to compete for a championship again, and there is no reason why it should.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
While we're at it, is chocolate more candy than food?

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I don't know, things like track or swimming are clearly sports but don't quite seem like games.  Feels like it depends on the complexity of the objectives and how you're allowed to reach them.  Traveling in a straight line as fast as possible just doesn't clear the bar for me. 

Tough distinction to draw regardless, but basketball clearly qualifies as both.

EDIT: Reading the OP's question more carefully, I'd say what happens on the court is more of a sport, though it's got elements of both, but what happens behind the scenes seems more like a game (it's not a sport, at least).  So maybe it depends on what level you're looking.

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't know, things like track or swimming are clearly sports but don't quite seem like games.  Feels like it depends on the complexity of the objectives and how you're allowed to reach them.  Tough distinction to draw but basketball clearly qualifies as both.

Honestly, I think the whole notion is pretty silly myself.  Threw that question out there on a whim not really believing it myself.  It's all subjective anyways based on the responses we've seen.

Seems like the forum has a debate similar to this once a year.  I remember one silly argument about whether golf was a sport. 

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 10:12:36 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I don't know, things like track or swimming are clearly sports but don't quite seem like games.  Feels like it depends on the complexity of the objectives and how you're allowed to reach them.  Tough distinction to draw but basketball clearly qualifies as both.

Honestly, I think the whole notion is pretty silly myself.  Threw that question out there on a whim not really believing it myself.  It's all subjective anyways based on the responses we've seen.

Seems like the forum has a debate similar to this once a year.  I remember one silly argument about whether golf was a sport.

I agree, except for the implication that the other kinds of arguments here aren't silly. 

The real question is just whether it's enjoyable to explore the topic or not.  Much like a game.  Or a sport I suppose.  ....uh-oh.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 10:15:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Golf is, however, super lame.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Golf is, however, super lame.

Not if alcohol & gambling are involved.

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not if alcohol & gambling are involved.
Those two things can make even baseball and/or Mario Kart interesting, so not exactly a revelation.