Author Topic: Is Celtic basketball "more of" a game or "more of" a sport?  (Read 4946 times)

Is Celtic basketball "more of" a game or "more of" a sport?
« on: September 02, 2015, 08:21:35 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
The key words here are "more of".  Obviously there are elements of both sport and game in the 'game' of basketball.  But, have we moved further from the elements of 'sport' and now become more of a 'game' much like a video strategy game? 

I only say this because it seems from reading our posts that the athletic components and the personal competitive nature of sports is taking a back seat to things like; player acquisition strategies, individual stats, team stats, coach acquisition, draft picks, "Potential", etc.

So what is your feeling?  Has Celtics basketball evolved more into a fantasy sports team where players and their personal identities don't really matter and has become more of a strategy game like chess or monopoly.  Or, is it still more of a sport which most of us considered it to be when we were younger. 
Remember I asked you to consider the words "more of", not that they are one and the same. 

Re: Is Celtic basketball "more of" a game or "more of" a sport?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
[img width= height=]http://img.memecdn.com/just-a-harmless-game_c_2616529.jpg[/img]

Outside chance at death and some form of running/brisk walking are the only requisites.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:05:54 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

I admitted it was 'both' a game and a sport.  I'm just questioning myself (and others) as to whether Celtics basketball is more of a game or a sport.  I'm starting to believe it's becoming more of a game.

You are free to agree, disagree or put another spin on it.   

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The difference is how we look at the vs.  the front office. 

Brad & Ainge are team-building based on more than stats, they also seek high character players who compliment one another well.   This element is completely lacking in whatever 'games' fans play based on the sport.   My opinion, at least.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:45:58 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
The difference is how we look at the vs.  the front office. 

Brad & Ainge are team-building based on more than stats, they also seek high character players who compliment one another well.   This element is completely lacking in whatever 'games' fans play based on the sport.   My opinion, at least.

"they also seek high character players who compliment one another well."

Couldn't that be considered another game element?  We talk about it on CB.

I'm not sure using Danny and Brad in this discussion is useful.  For them basketball is more than a game or sport.  It's their livelihood.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
To be a sport you have to have the outside chance in heck of possibly getting killed. The spot where it splits is tennis and golf. Tennis is barely a sport. Golf is a game.

Also a jockey isn't an athlete. Nascar is an activity. An activity my grandmother did till she was 93.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:07:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd say more of a way of life.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:10:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
To be a sport you have to have the outside chance in heck of possibly getting killed. The spot where it splits is tennis and golf. Tennis is barely a sport. Golf is a game.

Also a jockey isn't an athlete. Nascar is an activity. An activity my grandmother did till she was 93.
I agree that there's definitely a difference between a sport and a game.  I don't think risk of death is the line in the sand though.  I've always considered the split to be where you have to exert physical effort and your opponent can directly interfere with your intended actions.

in your examples, I'd agree Tennis is a sport while horse racing, golf and car racing are not.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I only say this because it seems from reading our posts that the athletic components and the personal competitive nature of sports is taking a back seat to things like; player acquisition strategies, individual stats, team stats, coach acquisition, draft picks, "Potential", etc.

Our team is in a rebuilding phase.  When the Celtics are fielding a team that is genuinely competitive, the conversation will probably turn more toward what's actually happening on the court.

For now, talking about the finer points of what the Celts are doing on the court is like talking about the aesthetics of the arrangement of fruits and vegetables in the produce section of the supermarket.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 12:58:56 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Like the way you broke that down.  I agree.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:59 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
I tell myself when the Celtics lose that it is just a 'game' , when they win I tell myself that I am following the best Organisation in Professional 'sport'

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 06:11:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Our team is in a rebuilding phase.  When the Celtics are fielding a team that is genuinely competitive, the conversation will probably turn more toward what's actually happening on the court.

For now, talking about the finer points of what the Celts are doing on the court is like talking about the aesthetics of the arrangement of fruits and vegetables in the produce section of the supermarket.

We'll be talking more about the "finer points" of what the Celtics are doing on the court once they actually start playing games. 

While they aren't playing, folks are more interested in talking about how to improve the team from a front office standpoint. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 06:14:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't see much of a distinction. Basketball is both a game and a sport.

All professional sports are going to rely heavily on strategy, both on and off the court. However, that strategy means little without players having the athleticism to play at a very high level.  Talent trumps strategy, but both are important.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 06:36:14 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
I don't see much of a distinction. Basketball is both a game and a sport.

All professional sports are going to rely heavily on strategy, both on and off the court. However, that strategy means little without players having the athleticism to play at a very high level.  Talent trumps strategy, but both are important.

How about if I posted the same type of question on the 76's Blog?  Would that be more clear?  Isn't their strategy simply to acquire the most talented players possible?  And, until that was accomplished, they consider their contest meaningless.  Isn't this clearly just a "game"?

I doubt one would define a sport as one where the objective is simply to acquire the best players, while the games themselves are meaningless until that point is reached(?).