Author Topic: KO and the Canadian national team thread  (Read 9782 times)

Re: KO and the Canadian national team thread
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
there is a photo tab along with box score ,not only has kelly gotten stronger another photo captures him elbow at rim and i believe his vertical has really improved
-also video tab shows a high up one handed dunk on a rebound
after his ankle injury he struggled at rim barely made a two handed dunk-

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »

Offline brundlenye the sciencefly

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2

Welcome to the CB and here is your first TP!

I like the fact that Kelly is among the leaders of the team. He can use some confidence going into training camp.

Why thank you. :]

I too am hoping this whole experience helps his confidence out-- a confident KO has the capability to be one of our best and most versatile players IMO

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 08:57:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Pretty weird box score for KO in yesterday's blowout win against Panama. I wonder what the story was, other than inferior competition:

1-3 shooting, including 1-2 from 3, 2-2 on FTs, for 5 total points in 15 minutes. But 9 rebounds in that time and only 2 fouls. Also 2 assts, 2 TOs, and 1 steal.

Also, odd trivia, but the team actually has a "Scrubb" on its bench.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/18/16/29/40/899LksV65YXiE/

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pretty weird box score for KO in yesterday's blowout win against Panama.

It is always a good thing to see a guy contributing in other areas when his shot is off, it is a sign of basketball intelligence.

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
only played 15min-they have alot of games this week-
may be pacing himself, plus got pre season coming and
doesn't want to get injured  after that knee scare 

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »

Offline Yb2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I saw the game. He didn't play much because he didn't have to. Players were rested to keep'em fresh for the rest of the week. He had some nice passing and aggressive D.

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 09:47:20 AM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

Also, odd trivia, but the team actually has a "Scrubb" on its bench.

Lol Scrubbs twin brother arrived in my hometown to play basketball just yesterday.

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm wondering what people's thoughts are about the benefits of KO playing in these tournaments?

Personally, I would rather see him spend the whole offseason focusing on strength training, cardio, and skills training.  I don't like seeing these guys add the wear and tear of competitive basketball during the offseason.  Their bodies need to rest up.

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm wondering what people's thoughts are about the benefits of KO playing in these tournaments?

Personally, I would rather see him spend the whole offseason focusing on strength training, cardio, and skills training.  I don't like seeing these guys add the wear and tear of competitive basketball during the offseason.  Their bodies need to rest up.
Competitive basketball can only help in improving his defense and confidence. Also only by playing basketball a lot of minutes can you find your comfort zones based on fatigue. When tired you need to know what you can and can't do on the court. Of course it's more important for a star to know this but if KO is under the weather it's a help.

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Love it. Keep getting your shots up against good competition. It only is going to help his development.

I think he can play and also do everything you mentioned to boot. He's still young and doesn't need rest like Lee and the vets need. No time to waste.

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

there are no benefits. these tournaments don't improve players. or at least not in the way KO needs to improve.

I've long hated players who are under contract doing extra curricular basketball events because of the threat of injury, couldn't stand hearing about Pierce participating in these things for that very reason. but then I heard him in an interview responding to why he does and he said(to paraphrase) "if I wasn't doing this, I'd be playing a pick up game somewhere, I play basketball all yr.".

I still can't stand that players do this and at the time I still hated that Pierce was out there risking injury in the off-season, but [dang]! it made me love that man even more to hear him say he plays basketball all yr.

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 05:05:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Love it. Keep getting your shots up against good competition. It only is going to help his development.

I think he can play and also do everything you mentioned to boot. He's still young and doesn't need rest like Lee and the vets need. No time to waste.
agreed - other than injury risk, I don't think there's a downside.  should help improve his skills.  he's too young to worry about minutes during the season and with the front court depth we have, he won't be needed to play 35 minutes a game all season

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

there are no benefits. these tournaments don't improve players. or at least not in the way KO needs to improve.

So if there are no benefits in playing in tournaments, then how does Olynyk need to improve?

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

I've long hated players who are under contract doing extra curricular basketball events because of the threat of injury, couldn't stand hearing about Pierce participating in these things for that very reason. but then I heard him in an interview responding to why he does and he said(to paraphrase) "if I wasn't doing this, I'd be playing a pick up game somewhere, I play basketball all yr.".

I still can't stand that players do this and at the time I still hated that Pierce was out there risking injury in the off-season, but [dang]! it made me love that man even more to hear him say he plays basketball all yr.
you really can't be right about these sort of things. people worry too much about injuries, especialy after PG last year. sure, they tend to happen over time, nut in my book, getting to represent your countries colours is something special, and i feal sorry for fans who can't appreciate that, yet worse, demonise it.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 05:35:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If you want to have any chance of ever being able to sign Wiggins or T Thompson to a contract in Boston it might be best to let KO go play with them in the summers.