Author Topic: KO and the Canadian national team thread  (Read 9769 times)

KO and the Canadian national team thread
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:26:47 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Not a lot going on in terms of actual basketball these days, so Kelly and Canadian national team playing meaningful games trying to qualify for the Olympics count in my book.

There was a game against Argentina yesterday and there will be several more until, hopefully, the final game of the tournament on 12. Sep. The site of the tournament is here: http://www.americas2015.com/en/calendario.asp?xtab=1&rid=1

Canada lost yesterday 94-87 to Argentina. Kelly had a double-double with 11 points/10 rebounds and 4 assists. Luis Scola burnt the Canadians for 35 and 13.

Some highlights here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbRMNm2TsxE

Could somebody watch the game? Who was guarding Scola most of the time?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:32:35 AM by krumeto »
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Re: KO and the Canadian national team thread
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:12:45 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

so you want us to find and watch 40+ mins of bbal that we already know the result of, only to answer your question about who was guarding Scola in a friendly game whose only connection to the C's is that Kelly played for the defeated team?

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 04:16:23 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford

so you want us to find and watch 40+ mins of bbal that we already know the result of, only to answer your question about who was guarding Scola in a friendly game whose only connection to the C's is that Kelly played for the defeated team?

I thought my English has improved enough :) I asked if somebody watched the game yesterday and could give an informed opinion on how Kelly played. I do not expect the forum to dig into the torrent trackers just for me. I can do it myself after work :)

The game is far from friendly. It is an Olympics qualifier.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 05:36:12 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I thought my English has improved enough :) I asked if somebody watched the game yesterday and could give an informed opinion on how Kelly played. I do not expect the forum to dig into the torrent trackers just for me. I can do it myself after work :)

OK sincere apologies then.

I was always wondering how Canada manages to never qualify for the Olympics despite having all this talent.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:07:31 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford

I was always wondering how Canada manages to never qualify for the Olympics despite having all this talent.
No probs at all!

It would be a pity if the Canadians do not qualify. In 2016 Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, KO, Cory Joseph, etc... could be a fun team to watch and a tough out for the US.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

No probs at all!

It would be a pity if the Canadians do not qualify. In 2016 Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, KO, Cory Joseph, etc... could be a fun team to watch and a tough out for the US.
tough out?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 08:31:11 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I watched the first half.  KO was on Scola most of the first half.  Scola hit a lot of midrange jumpers when Kelly was sagging on picks.  Scold beat him once on a nice move down low with his left hand and slipped a screen once on him for a layup that should have been contested by a weak side defender.

KO had a nice rebound coast to coast play for an awkward pull up layup looking shot that was nice.  He also had a great touch pass alley oup to Bennet for a dunk.  He was KO. Some great looks that his teammates couldn't finnish, I remember a sweet pass on a back door to Joseph that Corey didn't go up strong with and dropped it off to someon else who got fouled.  Basically he moved the ball, played position defense and got uncontested rebounds.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
KO was 4-of-9 from the floor (missing all four 3s). In addition to KO and Wiggins, that Canadian team also has Cory Joseph, Andrew Nicholson, Nik Stauskas, Anthony Bennett, Dwight Powell and Robert Sacre.

Did not know that KO's full name was Kelly Tyler Corness Olynyk ...

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 09:02:51 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
I watched the first half.  KO was on Scola most of the first half.  Scola hit a lot of midrange jumpers when Kelly was sagging on picks.  Scold beat him once on a nice move down low with his left hand and slipped a screen once on him for a layup that should have been contested by a weak side defender.

KO had a nice rebound coast to coast play for an awkward pull up layup looking shot that was nice.  He also had a great touch pass alley oup to Bennet for a dunk.  He was KO. Some great looks that his teammates couldn't finnish, I remember a sweet pass on a back door to Joseph that Corey didn't go up strong with and dropped it off to someon else who got fouled.  Basically he moved the ball, played position defense and got uncontested rebounds.
Thanks, danglertx!

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 11:27:24 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Interesting contrast-- the Canadian team is a collection of 1st-3rd year NBA players with little veteran presence or experience playing together. The Argentinian team doesn't have much NBA talent, but it's lead by two grizzled forwards, Scola and Nocioni, who have been playing together  internationally forever.

Nothing more fun for me than getting a team of smart older guys on the court and beating up the pretty 20-year-olds =)

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Interesting contrast-- the Canadian team is a collection of 1st-3rd year NBA players with little veteran presence or experience playing together. The Argentinian team doesn't have much NBA talent, but it's lead by two grizzled forwards, Scola and Nocioni, who have been playing together  internationally forever.

Nothing more fun for me than getting a team of smart older guys on the court and beating up the pretty 20-year-olds =)

That's probably the ultimate definition of mid-life--when you switch to rooting for the old guys.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

even the 3 guys that play in Europe are just 22, 25, and 29.  Sacre is the oldest NBA guy at just 26.  If they stick together and grow as a team they could be together for over a decade and assuming solid growth from guys like Wiggins might actually be a favorite to medal in 2020 and 2024. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

No probs at all!

tough out?

we already said that english is a bit of a work in progress here

let's just appreciate the fact we have eng speaking fans spread all over the world  ;D

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
also a 'tough out' is a legitimate phrase in English, particularly/exclusively in regards to sports:
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150331/golden-state-warriors-will-be-a-tough-out-in-nba-playoffs

etc.

Also discouraging that a 35 year old Louis Scola is outplaying the knockout. That's a cursory reading of Danglers post, so I could be exaggerating.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 05:29:57 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Uh oh. Who would have thought of it - KO being a D liability.  ;D