Author Topic: If David Lee has a Monster year  (Read 10146 times)

Re: If David Lee has a Monster year
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

What is wrong with any of the plausible scenarios i proposed? Are those not reasonable enough deals?

None of the teams you mentioned seem likely to me to be prepared to offer a significant package for David Lee.  Provided that David Lee is playing really well, I don't think Ainge would trade him for a late 1st or an OK prospect.  Yet since he is an expiring contract, that's all he's likely to be worth on the trade market.
Yep.  Which is why I don't think he gets moved unless his salary is required in a huge trade or Boston isn't very good and can get a couple of 2nds and save some money moving him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

What is wrong with any of the plausible scenarios i proposed? Are those not reasonable enough deals?

None of the teams you mentioned seem likely to me to be prepared to offer a significant package for David Lee.  Provided that David Lee is playing really well, I don't think Ainge would trade him for a late 1st or an OK prospect.  Yet since he is an expiring contract, that's all he's likely to be worth on the trade market.
Yep.  Which is why I don't think he gets moved unless his salary is required in a huge trade or Boston isn't very good and can get a couple of 2nds and save some money moving him.

Say Houston needs some frontcourt and bench scoring with the departure of Smith and the continued injuries of terrence jones. Why would they not trade Capela, who for the forseeable future is not playing a significant role for them and was a raw prospect to begin with. It seems like this would be a reasonable trade for both sides. Considered we don't have many young players with capelas skillset, he would seem like a good prospect for us for a half season rental of Lee to them. i don't see why something like that couldn't happen. Regardless the offseason sucks when we get this deep into random hypotheticals

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Say Houston needs some frontcourt and bench scoring with the departure of Smith and the continued injuries of terrence jones. Why would they not trade Capela, who for the forseeable future is not playing a significant role for them and was a raw prospect to begin with. It seems like this would be a reasonable trade for both sides. Considered we don't have many young players with capelas skillset, he would seem like a good prospect for us for a half season rental of Lee to them. i don't see why something like that couldn't happen. Regardless the offseason sucks when we get this deep into random hypotheticals
what salary is being traded to Boston?

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 07:40:26 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
When IT was acquired I said he was immediately our best player, some laughed at me.

With Amir and Lee added I think the Celtics have improved dramatically and both will be top 5 players on the team.  I always was down on Sully for his weight (not that Im one to talk) and his defense but I really think with his improved conditioning he could be an All-Star.  Having said that I though Hanley Ramirez would be an MVP and the Sox would win the World Series, so take that for what it is worth.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 07:41:44 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
David Lee is a Talented player...With a $15 Million EXPIRING Contract...This, along with the Brooklyn/Dallas picks will get us Cousins or someone before the Trade deadline....Lee is Theo Ratliff for Danny right now.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

to be honest it is not worth my time to track down salaries, trade exceptions or involving a third team for a random hypothetical trade. If you are trading Lee sometime around the all star break he will be down 7 million dollars for the rest of the season. Its expensive, but not like it is 20 million. If he is playing well he is not immoveable as an expiring.

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Mid summer wet dream
I've had more than one of those that either became reality or was based on reality

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
With all due respect to the long-time posters (who i enjoy reading very much), I disagree with those on this thread who think its a certainty DLee gets traded.  Though DLee staying is a 'possible improbable' to me at this point, I think the odds of DLee buying into the culture, and CBS/Danny really appreciating his contribution, on and off the court, are higher than this thread is suggesting.  I predict they will want him to stay. 

I think Danny and CBS are starting to acquire 'culture guys' that are going to be around for awhile. 

Perhaps the culture-building gets a little lost with A) all the churning Danny's done to work the rebuild phase as quickly as possible.  B) we live in a stats-driven world, which are easier to quantify, and though we talk of 'team culture', since its harder to quantify, we the fans still don't value it as highly as Celtic management is currently valuing it.

I know that no one is untradeable, especially if opportunity knocks.  However, I think it is likely Crowder, Thomas, Smart, and likely others are here for the long haul. 

I can see DLee playing 30mpg this year, bouncing back with 16 pts and 8 reb.  He has championship experience, is a good locker room guy, and can still produce.  After the season, Danny offers 2 yrs/$25 million with a team option for the 3rd year, slightly lower than what he'd get on open market, and DLee accepts cuz he loves it here. 

Moving forward, after another acquisition or two, Lee becomes our 3rd best big, whether he starts or not, plays a solid 25-28 min per game. 

Just my two cents, and perhaps a different look.  Looking forward to an exciting year of hoops. 

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 10:55:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think that Ainge would rather have a winning team than a 'culturally sound' team, although in a perfect world I believe he'd like to build both.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 11:09:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Tbh I imagine right now in the Sac forums they have a similar thread entitled //If Cousins has a monster year// and it seems a much more plausible hypothesis to me  ;D

That's because Cousins has been having monster years since he was a rookie lol

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 11:17:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't think it's a certainty we'll trade Lee, I just think it's a certainty we'll try to under any realistic scenario.  I don't think the team's record or Lee's performance will matter much in that.  But a lot of good points have been made that it won't be easy to get much value.

I do think it's close to a certainty we won't resign Lee if he isn't traded though.  Maybe he loves it here and takes a major discount.  Maybe.  But he just doesn't plausibly fit with any long-term plans, in age or position. 

Bottom line, though - no matter how it shakes out I wish him well as a Celtic and hope he's got a lot left in the tank.  5 weeks til preseason baby!!    :-\
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:41:49 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 11:57:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think trading for Lee was a mutually beneficial deal between Lee and the Celts.  The Celts get a single season rental who is an upgrade at power forward and helps them bridge another year to placate fans while Danny chases stars via trade.   Lee gets to rehab his value before hitting the free market.   It's strictly a one season relationship.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2015, 06:22:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

to be honest it is not worth my time to track down salaries, trade exceptions or involving a third team for a random hypothetical trade. If you are trading Lee sometime around the all star break he will be down 7 million dollars for the rest of the season. Its expensive, but not like it is 20 million. If he is playing well he is not immoveable as an expiring.
His salary is almost 16 million.  You have to match that.  If you are too lazy to find a suitable trade, then there is no reason for you to post trades, but that is the problem with trading Lee.  It will be almost impossible to find a team that could theoretically use Lee but that also has enough salary just sitting around to actually acquire him and would actually give some sort of value (like a 1st).

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »

Offline PutItInTheAir

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
lee and pjIII for gay?

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 10:46:58 AM »

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
I'm just concerned Lee won't gain sufficient enough playing time, particularly early in the season, to really have an opportunity to put up numbers that would jump out at observers in and around the league.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0