Author Topic: Jae's numbers before C's 4pts 2rb. Jones 4pts 2rb  (Read 2586 times)

Re: Jae's numbers before C's 4pts 2rb. Jones 4pts 2rb
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 10:59:36 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The only season in which Jones may have had more opportunities was last season thanks to Durant's injury, but then (as mentioned before) Jones also got injured - and missed about half the season.

Jones hurt his knee and missed 12 games early in the season. He didn't miss about half the season or even close to it: he just fell out of the rotation - while largely healthy on a ludicrously-injured team - because he sucked outside of a hot stretch to start the year.

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The only season in which Jones may have had more opportunities was last season thanks to Durant's injury, but then (as mentioned before) Jones also got injured - and missed about half the season.

Jones hurt his knee and missed 12 games early in the season. He didn't miss about half the season or even close to it: he just fell out of the rotation - while largely healthy on a ludicrously-injured team - because he sucked outside of a hot stretch to start the year.

You could be right - if so fair enough.  I admit I looked at the consecutive DNP's and assumed they were due to injury, since it seems odd that he got plenty of minutes (and did pretty well in them) prior to the injury, then suddenly saw very limited minutes after the injury.  If that was an incorrect assumption, then I take that back. 

But still, you do you realise that Crowder only averaged 10 MPG in Dallas, right?  That's actually less than the 14.7 MPG that Jones averaged in OKC.  Probably not the best example for people to use when trying to suggest that minutes played represents the coach's faith in the player (and hence, the player's ability).

Again I'm not by any means suggesting Jones is going to break out as some kind of beast player - just saying that every player deserves a chance, and a change of scenery can do a lot for a guy.

My guy feeling tells me that he probably will be a bust, but I feel like he's got a better chance than somebody like James Young, who was thoroughly outclassed by Summer League.  I know people will argue "but Young is only 20!!!", but whatever.  I've watched the guy play, and he looks as lost as Fab Melo - but at least Fab was 7 feet tall and could block shots.  Yong can't seem to contribute anything of worth unless it's in the D-League (which, worth noting, Fab Melo also dominated).

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:27:45 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 11:29:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's more important to have the player who is more useful at actual basketball, not the player who would be more useful in fantasy basketball.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 11:36:54 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's more important to have the player who is more useful at actual basketball, not the player who would be more useful in fantasy basketball.

If by useful you mean "guy who can't really do anything but play occasionally good (but mostly just average) defense and make an offensive contribution once every 3 games" then I would suggest that both of these guys probably qualify as being equally 'useful'. 

Ok so I admit I am exaggerating here ( :P ) but really, people are talking about these two guys as if Crowder is on some massive pedestal above Jones talent-wise and that's just not the case.

Before Crowder game to Boston he was averaging 3 points and 1 rebound in 10 minutes per game...and he was coming off a previous 'career best' season where he averaged a little over 4 points and 2 rebounds in 16 minutes.

It took a change in scenery (i.e. trade to Boston) and circumstances (going from a playoff team to a team on pace for the lottery) for Crowder to actually start putting up "useful" numbers.

Jones has been in the league the same amount of time and is two years younger.  There is really no reason to believe that Jones, given a change in scenery/circumstances himself,  wouldn't make the same type of leap (or more like a 'hop') as Crowder achieved last year.

Had Crowder never been traded to Boston, he may well have finished his season in Dallas averaging worse numbers than Jones did in OKC.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:52:09 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 01:05:03 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Talent, schmalent.  It's all about what's in his head.  Jones looks like the soft, low motor, poor work ethic sort of player who gets more chances than he deserves because of his length and athleticism.  He should get the preseason to prove himself and for the Celtics to evaluate if they think they can fix his attitude and approach to the game.  I don't think the Celtics should make much of an effort to give him a chance beyond that.

If you look at per/36 numbers and advanced metrics that control for playing time, Crowder appears to be on a trajectory of improvement.  PJ3 doesn't.  If Jones needs a change of scenery, maybe he needs the shock of being out of the NBA and having to play overseas or in the D-League to continue his basketball career.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 02:35:01 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Crimson great post, TP #384 to you