Author Topic: Celtics open contract talks with Tyler Zeller, Jared Sullinger  (Read 5668 times)

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Re: Celtics open contract talks with Tyler Zeller, Jared Sullinger
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:09:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If nothing else, this will give the Celtics information on what sort of contracts those players will be seeking as restricted free agents.  If Sullinger or Zeller appear to have an inflated view of their worth, that might make Ainge more willing to deal them mid-season rather than get involved in difficult contract negotiations next summer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
good read clover, thanks for the link...and a tp of course.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:13:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't envision Sully agreeing to a contract... but his past health issues might scare him enough to really try to work something right now.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Offer Sully 3 years at $8 million per, or 2 years at $10 million per.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What would be more newsworth is if the Celtics were talking with PJ3 about an extension.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Unless it's for cheap money, signing Sully to an extension makes absolutely no sense.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him that he's gotten in shape.  But he's gotta show that he can stay healthy and in shape for a full season before he even sniffs at a decent contract extension.

However, Ainge was somehow able to get both Amir Johnson and Jerebko to agree on virtually 1 year non-guaranteed contracts which I still find to be remarkable, especially in Johnson's case.  So perhaps Danny can work some magic with that again with Sullinger.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
perhaps, but that may be low in this new brave nba cap world. usually when you pay for short contract years you have to jack up the price.

bradley made similar to the first figure and that was under the old system.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
perhaps, but that may be low in this new brave nba cap world. usually when you pay for short contract years you have to jack up the price.

I agree about the Brave New NBA Cap World, but Sullinger is one player I wouldn't be willing to extend myself for.  The weight and motivation issues worry me.  Low-ball him on annual value, or low-ball him on years.  Otherwise, no extension.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:40:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
both will get lower than expected contracts. Both will say no imo. Both will be traded by the trade deadline

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 06:48:03 PM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Mahone...

I agree 100% with your post.  Regarding Johnson, I don't think it's that big of a surprise.  As far as we know, nobody was really after Johnson, he was happy to get $12 million and he and his agent probably think he's going to have a good year and get more.  I'm down on Johnson for many reasons, as I posted about previously.

I'm also against offering Zeller a long term extension, as I posted about in a Zeller thread, but no harm is done by Danny feeling these guys out and seeing where their heads are at.  I don't think any one of the 3 is on this team long term.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
The most I would go is 4 years 32 million for sullinger.

Ultimately, it really isn't even about the money to me, its about committing to him when he hasn't shown any genuine form of commitment to us.

Last minute weight loss during a contract year proves nothing to me and shouldve been done last summer.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
can weight clauses be worked into rookie extensions or RFA extensions if that's the better term?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I agree about the Brave New NBA Cap World, but Sullinger is one player I wouldn't be willing to extend myself for.  The weight and motivation issues worry me.  Low-ball him on annual value, or low-ball him on years.  Otherwise, no extension.

I agree, can't stand players that finally decide to get in shape once a contract year comes up. This guy gets a big payday he will be over 300 lbs. next year!

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

The Valanciunas deal makes this a really weird negotiation. A guy from the same draft class who is similarly solid-to-good but has huge holes and is all-around underwhelming. That guy is getting 4x$16M

The Celtics know better than any of us right now how Sullinger's off season conditioning is actually going. If he is making genuinely transformative changes, then I would certainly consider extending him two years (so, 1+2) for $12 million per and tell him that this is his window to make himself into an all-star and a max player.

I think I'd rather wait until the end of the season, though.