Author Topic: SI.com's Top 100 NBA Players of 2016  (Read 15418 times)

Re: SI.com's Top 100 NBA Players of 2016
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would have guessed IT would be at least top 50-60.

Look at it this way, he's #88 despite being a total one way player.  If it were a ranking solely on offensive ability he'd be top 20 or 30.

Looks like IT sees it more like mgent:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/08/boston_celtics_isaiah_thomas_d.html

Man's Estimation of Skill May Exceed Actual Ability.
Waltham, MA
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Rondo no longer considered top 100?

Or did I miss his name??

He is no longer considered top 100.

Seems more than fair to me.  He hasn't made a team better in a couple of years.
Obviously some will point to the idea that Rondo is not as good as he used to be (and there may be some validity to that), but more than anything, his plight overwhelmingly validates those that argued he was never that good in the first place; that his deficiencies outweigh his strengths.

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 02:19:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Yeah that's always been true, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think there's much question that Rondo is not the same player he once was.

His deficiencies are more noticeable now that he's been playing with lesser teammates AND his strengths aside from passing have been significantly lessened with age.

Personally, I thought Rondo would age poorly, but I never anticipated that it would go south for him this quickly.  I had thought he'd at least progress into a decent Andre Miller / Jason Kidd type role player well into his thirties, but I think both of those guys were always better scorers than Rondo, and neither of them had the type of personality issues Rondo had.

Simply put, Rondo always had to be really good to make putting up with him worth it.  He hasn't been worth it for a while, maybe even before his knee injury.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Rondo is going to have a second act. I can't wait to see where it is. Once the flames from the Kings trash fire have smoldered down, he is going to swallow a rock bottom contract with a good team and come back in a big way. I could see him being the backup point guard for the 2016-2017 Heat, Bulls, Cavs, or Spurs that takes the first chair when Wade, Rose, Irving, or Parker gets hurt or becomes ineffective.

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Or did I miss his name??

Obviously some will point to the idea that Rondo is not as good as he used to be (and there may be some validity to that), but more than anything, his plight overwhelmingly validates those that argued he was never that good in the first place; that his deficiencies outweigh his strengths.

Eh, the knee injury that has neatly bisected Rondo's career into "All-Star" and "falling star" periods makes "overwhelming validation" a major stretch.  You can certainly say the same flaws have always been there, but it's a lot harder to say they were always this detrimental and he just lucked into a situation that covered them up early on.

I mean, no one really expects the current incarnation of Rondo to be making plays like dunking on Chris Bosh or repeatedly pickpocketing the 2016 equivalent of 2008 Kobe, or sustained things like leading the league in steals or flirting with all-time assist records.  Because he was better then and is worse now.

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Or did I miss his name??

Or maybe his injury sapped him of his effectiveness. I like how people who disliked Rondo are dogpiling him now (though he did bring some of this to himself)

That being said I expect a bounceback year for Rondo. I'm probably one of the few who still likes him and his career depends on it.

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Or did I miss his name??

Do the current plights of Derrick Rose and Deron Williams mean they were never that good in the first place?

This doesn't make any sense.  When Rajon Rondo was considered a top twenty player in the NBA for a three and a half to four year stretch, it was because he was a top player. 

I doubt he'll ever be a top twenty player again, but I'd love to see him return to the top 100.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 03:58:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Rondo was and is one of my favorite players to watch in the league today, but the fact that he was dramatically overrated or dramatically underrated (depending on where you sat) on this blog would color a lot of the discussion in a negative way.

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo was and is one of my favorite players to watch in the league today, but the fact that he was dramatically overrated or dramatically underrated (depending on where you sat) on this blog would color a lot of the discussion in a negative way.

Either way, he was a top 20 to top 30 player over a four year stretch from '09 to '12.  Even for those who have never been his biggest fans, that would be hard to dispute.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Agreed, there was NO middle ground when it came to him.

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Either way, he was a top 20 to top 30 player over a four year stretch from '09 to '12.  Even for those who have never been his biggest fans, that would be hard to dispute.

Sure. And that never seemed to be a point of contention compared to, say, "he's a better point guard than Chris Paul," or "he could be the best player on a title-winning team" etc.

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd like to see Rondo find a place where he can thrive again.

I'm relieved he's not on our team anymore, because he was a constant source of contention on the blog (and sometimes on the court), and his flaws as a point guard bugged me to no end.  I just feel like I could enjoy him more from afar.

Some of his playoff performances remain on my list of most enjoyable games to watch, however.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Agreed, there was NO middle ground when it came to him.

I've been squarely in the middle ground on Rondo my entire time here.  So have a bunch of other posters.  We're just not very memorable  :'(  Also we tended to stay out of the slapfights, since they were kinda a perfect storm of tedious and angry.

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Your loss.