Author Topic: SI.com's Top 100 NBA Players of 2016  (Read 15440 times)

SI.com's Top 100 NBA Players of 2016
« on: August 31, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Are C's fans incredible homers--or are they okay with this list:

http://www.si.com/nba/top-100-nba-players-2016?page=3&devicetype=default

The only  C's to make it? IT at 88 and Amir at 89.

No Lee, Smart or Sully.

What do you think? This list is a projection, and I'm of course hoping they will be proven wrong.

(Note: this list is only 51-100, the rest still to be announced.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:55:24 PM by clover »

Re: SI.com's Top 100 NBA Players of 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Hey, they haven't listed 1-50 yet, so there's still hope!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I don't know if you meant it that way but that's not a great way to frame the question - you can disagree with the list without being an "incredible homer".

Honestly I think the biggest snub isn't anyone you listed but Avery Bradley.  He's a legit two-way contributor and a lot of the guys toward the bottom of the list aren't.  And unlike Smart we can judge him more on actual performance than trying to project improvement.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:29:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If those are the options call me a homer because there are a lot of player rankings I don't agree with in that list.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

I don't know if you meant it that way but that's not a great way to frame the question - you can disagree with the list without being an "incredible homer".

Honestly I think the biggest snub isn't anyone you listed but Avery Bradley.  He's a legit two-way contributor and a lot of the guys toward the bottom of the list aren't.  And unlike Smart we can judge him more on actual performance than trying to project improvement.

Yeah, it was a provocative question--but followed up by asking people what they think of the list.

Just for argument's sake, taking it as both a fair and consensus list--then I'd say Amir has been getting insufficient respect here this summer.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Hey, they haven't listed 1-50 yet, so there's still hope!

Ha ha--I hate to admit, but I didn't even see that: just clicked for a single-page view and searched for Celtics.

I don't know what's gonna feel worse for IT: being ranked #88 with no other C's on the list, or being ranked #88 with other C's in the top 50.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, it was a provocative question--but followed up by asking people what they think of the list.

Just for argument's sake, taking it as both a fair and consensus list--then I'd say Amir has been getting insufficient respect here this summer.

I agree - Amir committed the sin of not being a stud signing at a time we were hoping for one, having a very large price tag attached to his deal, and not clearly fulfilling one of the roles people thought it was essential to address this offseason - though partly because his rim protection is underrated.  But he's a fine player in his own right, and could very well be our best big man this season.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Seems right to tab IT and Amir as the top players on the team, and their rankings in the bottom 25% of the top 100 makes sense, too.

Underscores how far away the team is.

Avery Bradley isn't close to being a top 100 player.  He's been a mediocre offensive player despite being given the opportunity to be the top option.  On a good team he'd barely crack 10 points a game.  He doesn't make any real impact on the boards, he's not a playmaker, and he neither hits a lot of outside shots nor gets to the free throw line very often.

On the defensive end, he's only really good at defending one position, at a time when the league values positional versatility above all other defensive attributes.  His defensive intensity has suffered since he has focused on offense. 

Bradley peaked in 2012.

My hope for Bradley is that he gets traded to a team where he can play a Patrick Beverley type role and just focus on hitting open shots, cutting to the basket, and hounding opposing ball-handlers.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:52:57 PM by PhoSita »
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm cool with it.  We all know that the success of this team in the near future won't be based on being loaded with top end talent.

Rather, it will be based on being a team that collectively plays tough defense and smart, crafty offense. 

A bit more team success this year could lead to a couple more of our guys being on that list by next off-season. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
mildly surprised they're that low but emphasizes the point I've been stating that this is a team of role players.  I would feel pretty comfortable saying that if they posted the top 150 players, a lot more of this roster would be making an appearance and I dare say that the C's could be the first team to have it's top 12 players on the list.  Certainly the first 11 no doubt.  The hold-up on that last piece is who would be considered our 12th guy.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

This list makes my head hurt. What on god's green earth is the meaning of this ranking? I'm not actually complaining about the best two celtics punching in where they do. What about the rest of it?!!?! This list is not ok. This list is a crime against basketball.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

This list makes my head hurt. What on god's green earth is the meaning of this ranking? I'm not actually complaining about the best two celtics punching in where they do. What about the rest of it?!!?! This list is not ok. This list is a crime against basketball.

It's August, so I'm guessing there's some incentive to create a list that causes the type of reaction you're experiencing.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I would have guessed IT would be at least top 50-60.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Lou Williams only one spot over Redick?

Rubio at 87?!?!?!

No David West in top 100?

Splitter a should be a little better than 74.

Tony Parker drops from 15 last year to 53 this year?  SMH
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Lou Williams only one spot over Redick?

I'd much rather have JJ Redick on my team, to be honest.
- Mark Twain