Author Topic: Fantasy GM. I'm putting Young and Turner on the trade block  (Read 1765 times)

Fantasy GM. I'm putting Young and Turner on the trade block
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:07:34 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Pretend you're a GM from any other team in the NBA I'm putting Young, Turner, and Bradley on the block give me some offers from another teams perspective and I'll shoot then down or make the trade.

Re: Fantasy GM. I'm putting Young and Turner on the trade block
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:15:39 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think we were offered a late 1st for Bradley.  I feel like at some point you could squeeze a late lotto pick out of someone for Bradley but anything more than that is pushing it.

I think best case scenario for either young or turner is a late 1st.  Turner is a decent player. He's versatile.   Someone would gamble on young because of perceived potential. 

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:42:54 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

That's what I'm saying trade someone for a first, Young first if we can, Then Turner, then Bradley, I'm sure we can get a pick back and clear up the final roster spot.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:40:48 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Young = expiring vet or 2nd round rookie or 2nd rounder with a lot of protection and cash considerations (right now young's stock is very low after being hyped up by ainge and then having a poor showing at summer league)

Turner  = expiring vet

Bradley = late first round (his stock slipped as he hasn't really improved last season)

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I think you can do more from Bradley than a late 1st. It was reported that Ainge turned down a late 1st and a large expiring for him at the deadline (Probably Cleveland's pick and the Haywood contract, IMO) and possibly other similar offers. And he was right to. Bradley is one of the best on-ball defenders in the league, he has developed a very good off-ball game and improved his shot a ton in the time he's played in the league. He's only 24 years old, and would've made a huge difference for teams like Cleveland last year or OKC. On his own, I think LarBird is about right, a late lotto/mid 1st rounder sounds right. Ainge would be more likely to package him instead.

I really would like to know where anyone gets the idea that Young should or would be traded for whatever picks we can get before the season starts. That's ridiculous. We're not gonna trade Young for crap just to make room for a guy like PJ3 or Turner. The kid just turned 20, and was drafted in the middle of the 1st as a project. A guy who wouldn't be ready for a few years, and he's not. But more importantly, he's really seemed to have turned a corner in terms of work ethic and dedication. That's always been his biggest question mark and you can tell by the added strength, the coaches comments and his presence in Waltham all summer that he's figuring it out. James Young has the tools and athleticism to be a very good wing scorer in this league if all goes right. There were executives at the combine that said Young woulda been a top 10 pick this year. A mediocre SL (where he showed real improvement on D and with court awareness, his most pressing flaws) Does not mean were going to give up on him. We're not gonna just dump him for scraps, so unless he's included in a deal with some guys like AB, Sully or Olynyk we won't get rid of him. The idea that Young might not make the roster is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Turner is a funny situation. He's a useful player who's fairly versatile, he played the best ball of his pro career under CBS last season and he could really help a few teams out there but his trade value just isn't that high. Were kinda in the spot where we either have to start him or basically never play him because playing him big minutes off the bench next to IT makes them both less effective and takes away our biggest strength, the bench. But if we start him all year, Smart stays mostly off the ball and that will stunt his growth as our primary ball-handler going forward. He's more valuable and a better player right now than PJIII, but if Jones comes into camp with something to prove I can certainly see a scenario where Turner is moved.

All in all, I think Jones gets waived and we may look for a deal for Turner (or someone else) as well. But I can't see Ainge just dumping Bradley for a another mediocre pick when he could've done that last year and I really can't see us just giving up on Young because of a middling SL performance. Turner or Jones III would seem to be the odd men out.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:41:41 AM by BDeCosta26 »

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Good post Decosta

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 01:52:25 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
I think you can do more from Bradley than a late 1st. It was reported that Ainge turned down a late 1st and a large expiring for him at the deadline (Probably Cleveland's pick and the Haywood contract, IMO) and possibly other similar offers. And he was right to. Bradley is one of the best on-ball defenders in the league, he has developed a very good off-ball game and improved his shot a ton in the time he's played in the league. He's only 24 years old, and would've made a huge difference for teams like Cleveland last year or OKC. On his own, I think LarBird is about right, a late lotto/mid 1st rounder sounds right. Ainge would be more likely to package him instead.

I really would like to know where anyone gets the idea that Young should or would be traded for whatever picks we can get before the season starts. That's ridiculous. We're not gonna trade Young for crap just to make room for a guy like PJ3 or Turner. The kid just turned 20, and was drafted in the middle of the 1st as a project. A guy who wouldn't be ready for a few years, and he's not. But more importantly, he's really seemed to have turned a corner in terms of work ethic and dedication. That's always been his biggest question mark and you can tell by the added strength, the coaches comments and his presence in Waltham all summer that he's figuring it out. James Young has the tools and athleticism to be a very good wing scorer in this league if all goes right. There were executives at the combine that said Young woulda been a top 10 pick this year. A mediocre SL (where he showed real improvement on D and with court awareness, his most pressing flaws) Does not mean were going to give up on him. We're not gonna just dump him for scraps, so unless he's included in a deal with some guys like AB, Sully or Olynyk we won't get rid of him. The idea that Young might not make the roster is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Turner is a funny situation. He's a useful player who's fairly versatile, he played the best ball of his pro career under CBS last season and he could really help a few teams out there but his trade value just isn't that high. Were kinda in the spot where we either have to start him or basically never play him because playing him big minutes off the bench next to IT makes them both less effective and takes away our biggest strength, the bench. But if we start him all year, Smart stays mostly off the ball and that will stunt his growth as our primary ball-handler going forward. He's more valuable and a better player right now than PJIII, but if Jones comes into camp with something to prove I can certainly see a scenario where Turner is moved.

All in all, I think Jones gets waived and we may look for a deal for Turner (or someone else) as well. But I can't see Ainge just dumping Bradley for a another mediocre pick when he could've done that last year and I really can't see us just giving up on Young because of a middling SL performance. Turner or Jones III would seem to be the odd men out.

TP! Great post. I still don't get why some Celtics' fans still wanna cut or trade Young even for  some scrubs. This guy is still too young. There were many guys in the league that look terrible in the first 3-4 years but ended up being HOFs or great players and I've also seen that his work ethic has drastically improved which it's the thing that I was concerned about him last year. Credit is due to guys like GW,Smart,Crowder,Bradley etc. I am not worried about his offensive game, on that end he also slightly improved his awareness like you said. His shot is gonna come out soon. His defense has also improved due to his motor and he seems much more active on the court. His added weight is gonna help him a lot I think because he can now play the 3 more than he did last year.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

TP! Great post. I still don't get why some Celtics' fans still wanna cut or trade Young even for  some scrubs. This guy is still too young. There were many guys in the league that look terrible in the first 3-4 years but ended up being HOFs or great players and I've also seen that his work ethic has drastically improved which it's the thing that I was concerned about him last year. Credit is due to guys like GW,Smart,Crowder,Bradley etc. I am not worried about his offensive game, on that end he also slightly improved his awareness like you said. His shot is gonna come out soon. His defense has also improved due to his motor and he seems much more active on the court. His added weight is gonna help him a lot I think because he can now play the 3 more than he did last year.

Thanks guys, TP's back at you.

As I've said before, being drafted to the same team in the same draft as Marcus Smart may turn out to be the best thing that could've happened to Young. I think it's beyond objection now that Smart is a natural born leader and his always relentless 110% effort is infectious to those around him. We saw it last year, Stevens was the orchestrator but that team took on Smart's personality and mindset. Young is the kind of kid who's success in the NBA is very dependent on the situation he lands in, and with us he couldn't ask for a much better one.

Seeing him put in the work is more important than anything at this point. The skills are there, the athleticism is there, his shot will start to fall. The question has always been motor, drive and awareness. Improving those things, to me at least, is more important than whether or not he shoots well in SL. I already know he can shoot, I wanna see if he can improve his motor, awareness, strength and defense.

Everyone says we need a scoring wing, which is totally true. But I personally think in the next few years that guy can be James Young, or Young could at least develop enough to prove a valuable trade chip. We need to get off this idea that Young somehow is "on the bubble".