Author Topic: If Hunter and Mickey are locked in already. Do you really draft someone else  (Read 1713 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 For arguments sake. We are picking Hunter and Mickey at 28 and 33. With that said who. Is your pick at 16 over Rozier knowing are roster and what we are trying to accomplish.
  Do you want SF help with Justin Anderson or Hollis Jefferson, do you go with Portis the highest rated player to give us another PF.
 Or do you stick with Terry Rozier. We need another penetrater ball handler/ playmaker. And the kid is a rocket, he's much quicker with the ball in his hands than Smart. And his jumpshot is almost fundamentally perfect. The % may not be there now, but his shot looks great.
 Coming out of this draft with Portis, Hunter, Mickey may have been even more frustrating. With that said who's your pick at 16 in this situation.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rozier was the right pick at 16. He is going to be a very good pick.

He had to carry Louisville last season. His stats dipped.  Put on a team with better players , and he will play better imo.  He still was clutch in the tourney helping Lousiville to get to the Elite 8. Nobody expected that.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This team needs wings so yeah, I'd take Dekker, Anderson, or Vaughn, whoever I think has the best chance of turning into a starter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
What do you mean by stats dipped Triboy?

He went from 7ppg and 3rpg to 17ppg and 5.6rpg pretty dramatic increase in one year

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Phosita out of your three choices. I'll take Vaughn. Who's your pick for most Upside.

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I am going with the wings - Rondae or Anderson. Still think Smart and IT are the near future (next 2-3 years) and even if Terry progresses well and outplays AB, it will require some roster shuffling to find him enough playing time. I don't think the talent difference between Terry and the next picks is that big for those troubles.

I like RHJ's defense and leadership and I think his shooting can be fixed. That's not thaaat ugly of a form. The defense is a major weapon. A rotation involving Smart, AB and RHJ would be a major trouble to score on.

Anderson has the makings of a very good 3&D guy. Extremely easy to fit both at the 2 and 3 and next to almost any kind of wing rotation.

"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
May be drinking the green kool-aid but I'll stick with Rozier. Word is that he was beating out some higher profile prospects in workouts. Danny used the term "Lives in the paint" to describe him which, like KGLL said in the OP is an important need for this roster. If we're going to be try to be Spurs East its important to note that San Antonio have been led by Tony Parker who might be the best PG at finishing in the paint in the league.

Think he's the right backup for Smart over Avery Bradley. (Hunter starts at the 2, unless they finally decide to commit to IT/Smart). Not a condemnation of Bradley, he's an excellent player on a fair contract but if we are going to have a defensive shooter/playmaker in the starting lineup you'd take Smart every time.

Would have been over the moon for Justise Winslow on the wing but guys like Anderson, Dekker, and Hollis Jefferson aren't enough for me to question the pick. Think we'll be able to find this player in the draft, trade, or free agency where an explosive combo guard who can effectively finish in the paint might actually be a bit harder to come by.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I would have taken Dekkar.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I like the defense Rosier gives, and I like his scoring as a point guard. But, I saw no sign of him being a distributor of the ball, and even as a college player he handed out a mire 3.9 assists a game. If he turns out to be a 6-1 combo guard, IMO it was a waisted pick.

I had my eye on Bobby Portis, even if we had a boat load of PF's. Lee is 1 year rental, Sully is a FA, KO is not a starting anything, Mickey is a nice player. (Amir is slotted as a center) By the end of next year we could be looking for PF's.   

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
 I really wasn't a fan of any of the guys left after Rozier other than RJ Hunter which we got with the 28th pick. I wouldn't take any other guy at 16, Rozier was the right pick. 

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
liked Portis for 16 and still do.  Rozier seems like he'll be a solid player but Portis could have covered the center position for us and has looked just as solid, if not better than, as Rozier in summer league.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Phosita out of your three choices. I'll take Vaughn. Who's your pick for most Upside.

Vaughn, seeing as he's only 19.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I like the defense Rosier gives, and I like his scoring as a point guard. But, I saw no sign of him being a distributor of the ball, and even as a college player he handed out a mire 3.9 assists a game. If he turns out to be a 6-1 combo guard, IMO it was a waisted pick.

I had my eye on Bobby Portis, even if we had a boat load of PF's. Lee is 1 year rental, Sully is a FA, KO is not a starting anything, Mickey is a nice player. (Amir is slotted as a center) By the end of next year we could be looking for PF's.

One pet peeve is when someone spells Rozier with as S. Rosier. It just doesn't look as tough. No worries though.