Author Topic: Trade Idea: Trimming the roster to 15 guaranteed contracts  (Read 1218 times)

Trade Idea: Trimming the roster to 15 guaranteed contracts
« on: August 30, 2015, 07:36:43 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Denver currently has 15 guaranteed contracts and will likely end up using its team option to waive Kostas Papanikolaou before his contract becomes guaranteed on October 4th.

The problem is that Denver wouldn't be able to take back a player unless he too has a contract that is voidable. Hence why I've come up with the following scenario:

TO UTAH: Evan Turner
TO DEN: Chris Johnson, 2017 1st rd pick (via Golden State)
TO BOS: Papanikolaou, 2016 Portland 1st round pick (liklely to become two future 2nd rd picks)

Why for the Jazz?

With Dante Exum likely gone for the 2015-16 season due to injury, I think the Jazz would be willing to trade for Turner. Turner will provide the Jazz with more playmaking and versatility while they try to make a playoff push in the LOADED western conference.

Why for the Nuggets?

The only incentive for the Nuggets to complete this deal would be the 2017 1st round draft pick they'd receive from Utah via Golden State. Barring another trade Chris Johnson would be waived (contract non-guaranteed).

Why for BOS?

Well first off, we'd receive Portland's 2016 1st round pick which is heavily protected and likely to become two 2nds (one in 2018 & one in 2019).

As much as I LOVED watching Evan Turner hit buzzer-beaters and hundreds of baseline midrange jumpers (EASY MONEY FOR ET), I believe we don't have much of a need for him beyond this season. ET handled the ball a lot last season. With Smart being our future PG (hopefully), I'm reluctant to continue giving his reps at PG to Turner. I think Smart, IT4, and TRoze (Rozier) will be able to man the PG duties. Turner's minutes can be fought for in training camp. The candidates to earn some of his minutes include: Perry Jones, Rozier, Jerebko, Hunter, Young, & Mickey.

The Celtics could possibly keep Papanikolaou through training camp (if that's okay with him and his agent), and see if he WOWs the coaching staff. In all likelihood, we waive him on or before October 4th, two days before our first preseason game.

Side note: Instead of making another post I would like to point out that it is also possible to leave out Denver and just trade Turner to Utah for Chris Johnson & the 2017 GS 1st 

Thoughts?!?!?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:40:25 AM by CsBanner18 »

Re: Trade for Kostas Papanikolaou
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:34:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
In terms of Kostas P., his contract guarantees on I think October 4th, so he'd just be insta-waived. 

edit: misread the word "and/or" and got something wrong about trade rules.  Now deleted.

Re: Trade Idea: Trimming the roster to 15 guaranteed contracts
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
2015-16 Depth Chart heading into Training Camp:

PG: Smart/Thomas/Rozier
SG: Bradley/Hunter/Young
SF: Crowder/Jones/Jerebko/Mickey
PF: Lee/Sully/Olynyk
C:  Johnson/Zeller/(Olynyk)

I think we'll be just fine w/o Turner

Re: Trade Idea: Trimming the roster to 15 guaranteed contracts
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like the just leave Utah out of it, selection.