Author Topic: durability factor  (Read 1045 times)

durability factor
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:07:04 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
with so many rookies and stars going down,what is durability factor worth-
zeller has it played in every game,he has economy of motion
uses backboard for soft layups vs slam dunks and contact in air,doesn't throw himself around or extend himself
then turner seems to have that right weight and muscle flexability and seems durable
isiah frightens me taunting bigs and the number of times he hits the hardwood,
marcus frightens me with his wild abandonment as he defines aggressive d
crowder frightens me with his style
avery seems to have notched down his d enough to survive a season
and jerebco has not much mileage on him after detroit and his injury
so what is durability worth in the era of offense and defence
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:34:29 AM by rollie mass »

Re: durability factor
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:12:23 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Don't be scared. The team is loaded with depth. Next man up presents more opportunities for expanded roles and development.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:12:47 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
sorry,i 'm not scared but career ending injuries do haunt me- i was in mallorca spain last week and our waiter was 6-11 and of course i asked him about basketball and he said he hadn't played  in a couple years since his injury, so i proudly showed my cartiledge scar that nobody has ever matched,it looks like a great white got me-and that was dr thomas delorme at mass general and the best surgeon, he said it was worst knee he had seen in 10yrs
well he asked how i adjusted  and i said i was lost and really never fully recovered
i still hear a ball bouncing and its like music and those squeeking sneekers and that competitive urge still surfaces--so yeah smarts injury disturbed me-acls and foot problems-i just hate the loss of such gifted players or the diminishing effect on their skills-
my son in quarterfinals national final four in england went down on huge way above rim block coming from weakside into the paint to begin 2nd half and ruptured ligaments and broke his ankle-he went out on his sheild and hasn't been right since,
 just this morning my wife said how much i lost from basketball but i responded with how much i gained
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:37:59 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is the single biggest factor that throws off the predictions of which teams will do well in any given upcoming season.  If you look back, most NBA championship teams have been relatively injury-free.

If you could pay more money to team doctors and get faster recovery from injuries, or if they had a magic formula to avoid injury in the first place, they would command salaries like players. Unfortunately things don't work that way.

So yes, durability is key for all teams.  However, freak injuries happen all the time.  It is not well correlated to playing with abandon. For us fans, it is scary to see players throw themselves into the fray but using athleticism is a big part of the NBA game today.  I would not take that away from players with the thought to avoid injury.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:19:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Ironically, our roster may breed competition to the extent that guys play with more reckless abandon than they typically would. A deep team with comparable talent within positions will hopefully lead to healthy competition that naturally solidifies the pecking order. If durability is a factor, hopefully it's pure durability and not dumb luck that does the separates starters from 2nd unit.

I don't think I've ever wished injury opinion someone, but thinking of Crowder, Terry, etc. makes me believe I may actually enjoy the karma is seeing JR Smith suffer a devastating injury in the near future.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 07:41:33 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
You shouldn't be worried. Compared to the amount of players in the NBA, it's pretty rare for someone to go down for a full season. Even if some guys go down, it's not very likely for many to go down at the same time from the same team. In our case, we have a lot of options to stand in if someone goes down. Even when Cavs lost a lot of their best players they had enough talent that they didn't crumble, you can give LBJ a lot of cred but the other players stepped up too, he wasn't out there alone.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
sorry,i 'm not scared but career ending injuries do haunt me- i was in mallorca spain last week and our waiter was 6-11 and of course i asked him about basketball and he said he hadn't played  in a couple years since his injury, so i proudly showed my cartiledge scar that nobody has ever matched,it looks like a great white got me-and that was dr thomas delorme at mass general and the best surgeon, he said it was worst knee he had seen in 10yrs
well he asked how i adjusted  and i said i was lost and really never fully recovered
i still hear a ball bouncing and its like music and those squeeking sneekers and that competitive urge still surfaces--so yeah smarts injury disturbed me-acls and foot problems-i just hate the loss of such gifted players or the diminishing effect on their skills-
my son in quarterfinals national final four in england went down on huge way above rim block coming from weakside into the paint to begin 2nd half and ruptured ligaments and broke his ankle-he went out on his sheild and hasn't been right since,
 just this morning my wife said how much i lost from basketball but i responded with how much i gained

TP for sharing those stories, that last sentence gave me chicken skin