Poll

Trade Evan Turner or waive Perry Jones?

Trade Evan Turner... I'd like to see Perry Jones get a real shot in the NBA (like Crowder last year)
29 (69%)
Waive Perry Jones, I'd rather have Turner's proven game for a playoff run & re-sign him in 2016
13 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: So does Danny trade Evan Turner or give Perry Jones a legitimate shot in NBA?  (Read 10524 times)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The only way Turner gets traded this season is if it's in a package for someone who's pretty good.

I can think of several scenarios where he gets traded.   One is to make room for the young guys, especially if one of the wing guys steps it up.    I agree, he does not have much value in terms of a trade but he really lacks value to us as well.

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Perry Jones has done nothing in this league. Nothing. It's like he was drafted and took a sabbatical. ET has actually contributed to wins. The two aren't comparable.

I've never seen a player benefit from hype for so long after doing so little as Perry Jones.

ET is an actual NBA basketball player. PJ will likely be playing for Neptunas in Klaipeda Lithuania next year, or if things break well he could possibly be carrying Starbury's bags in China.

Well that's the whole point. He hasn't done anything because he hasn't had much of an opportunity. He's 23 years old and only played 43 games last year at 14 minutes a game- and that number is bloated because he play heavy minutes when Westbrook and Durant both went down. Kelly Olynyk is 24 years old. Would Kelly Olynyk have gotten any time on that Thunder team last year or any serious contender?

I mean there's potential there. Jae Crowder was a nobody before he came here too. Evan Turner is what he is- a solid role player.
We need young talent with potential and that's what Jones is. He at least needs an opportunity to show that potential.

I don't think Crowder was exactly a nobody. From what I remember Mavericks fans were pretty crushed to see him go in the Rondo deal. The Celtics used him a bit more than the Mavericks did but that was because the Celtics didn't have better options. He wasn't a household name but the fans liked him in Dallas, compared to PJIII, who I don't think anyone in OKC is particularly upset to see go.

Now I'm also optimistic about Jones. In fact, I think Jones is going to do great in the pre-season because he's had great pre-seasons in the past, but he has to prove that he's more than just a 15th man. He has to prove that he is absolutely worth getting rid of Turner for, which I'm not sure he's capable of doing. He's young but not much younger than Turner and he hasn't proven much outside of a three-game stretch of good basketball. Like others have said, the Celtics got him from practically nothing, so my expectations are pretty tempered.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can we get rid of both and give playing time to other players?  I prefer that option.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Perry Jones has done nothing in this league. Nothing. It's like he was drafted and took a sabbatical. ET has actually contributed to wins. The two aren't comparable.

I've never seen a player benefit from hype for so long after doing so little as Perry Jones.

ET is an actual NBA basketball player. PJ will likely be playing for Neptunas in Klaipeda Lithuania next year, or if things break well he could possibly be carrying Starbury's bags in China.

Well that's the whole point. He hasn't done anything because he hasn't had much of an opportunity. He's 23 years old and only played 43 games last year at 14 minutes a game- and that number is bloated because he play heavy minutes when Westbrook and Durant both went down. Kelly Olynyk is 24 years old. Would Kelly Olynyk have gotten any time on that Thunder team last year or any serious contender?

I mean there's potential there. Jae Crowder was a nobody before he came here too. Evan Turner is what he is- a solid role player.
We need young talent with potential and that's what Jones is. He at least needs an opportunity to show that potential.

I don't think Crowder was exactly a nobody. From what I remember Mavericks fans were pretty crushed to see him go in the Rondo deal. The Celtics used him a bit more than the Mavericks did but that was because the Celtics didn't have better options. He wasn't a household name but the fans liked him in Dallas, compared to PJIII, who I don't think anyone in OKC is particularly upset to see go.

Now I'm also optimistic about Jones. In fact, I think Jones is going to do great in the pre-season because he's had great pre-seasons in the past, but he has to prove that he's more than just a 15th man. He has to prove that he is absolutely worth getting rid of Turner for, which I'm not sure he's capable of doing. He's young but not much younger than Turner and he hasn't proven much outside of a three-game stretch of good basketball. Like others have said, the Celtics got him from practically nothing, so my expectations are pretty tempered.

Well, his stats were nobody stats then.  He was averaging 3.6 points and 1.2 rebounds per game for Dallas prior to coming to us in only 10.6 minutes.  A few diehard Mavs' fans probably LOVED his effort, but he was NOT producing on the floor for them or you could say he certainlyl was NOT given the opportunity.

Smitty77

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I mean, I'm as hopeful as the next guy that PJ3 can tap into his potential.  But NBA talent evaluators, like all of them pretty much, think that's unlikely.  Any team could have had him for free, but no one wanted him.  Even Hinkie wasn't interested.  The Celtics presumably gave OKC the best offer, and that offer was for OKC to pay about 3/4 of his salary and send over a draft pick.  People really need to temper their expectations.  PJ3 will be given a chance to earn a spot on the roster, and if he earns that spot, he'll be given a chance to earn playing time.  But no trades should be made until he earns that spot.
ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...this IS cb, after all.  ;D

Where the obsession with consciously downgrading the roster lives on.

Easy vote. Waive Jones. Seen more than enough out here with the Thunder on for free every game. He is not interested enough to be an NBA player.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Well, his stats were nobody stats then.  He was averaging 3.6 points and 1.2 rebounds per game for Dallas prior to coming to us in only 10.6 minutes.  A few diehard Mavs' fans probably LOVED his effort, but he was NOT producing on the floor for them or you could say he certainlyl was NOT given the opportunity.

Smitty77

I guess my point was that Crowder had done more for Dallas than Jones did for OKC, and his minutes were lowered after they added Parsons, Jefferson, and Aminu to the squad. His first 2 years weren't too shabby.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd love to see Turner gone ASAP, but realistically, I know he's hear at least until the end of this year.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:50:26 AM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm getting a Mark Blount vibe out of Perry Jones.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
My issue with Turner is that having him in the starting line-up is going to eventually stunt Smarts growth as the primary ball-handler. Turner isn't very effective without the ball in his hands, and if we put it in Smart's hands most of the time you'll get more effectiveness starting Crowder at the 3. In a vacuum, I think Turner would be a good ball-handler and creator off the bench, but on our team we already have Thomas in that role and he's a whole lot better at it. At least if you keep Jones and move Turner you'll be going with a guy more suited to the role you have available.

Of course with Ainge it all comes down to value. If Jones comes into camp determined to stay in the NBA and proves it, he could very well stick and we move Turner (or someone like him). If he doesn't, Ainge waives him and keeps Turner just because he's the better value.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'm getting a Mark Blount vibe out of Perry Jones.

I get an "Austin Daye" / "Anthony Randolph" vibe from him, myself.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I wasn't sure how to vote because I haven't followed Jones' career or seen him in action.. However, there are a few things that are clear:
1. Turner is a better NBA player than Jones, right now.
2. Turner may be more valuable to the C's right now because it is not clear (yet) that Smart can handle the point and he is probably a better defender that IT.
3. OKC didn't take much convincing to unload Jones.
4. Jones may have big upside but his inconsistency leaves you wondering.
5. We would not even be having this conversation if the roster wasn't so crammed.

So if pressed, I would probably call Jones the odd man out, but only if the choice is between Jones and Turner, and I am not convinced that that is the right question. Ainge could still pull off a 2-for-1 trade before opening night, for example.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Scott Brooks never trusts young guys in any kind of meaningful game.

I have never understood this notion I've seen some people push in the past. Brooks doesn't trust young guys, yet he gave players like Reggie Jackson, Serge Ibaka, James Harden, Andre Roberson, Steven Adams, etc. significant playing time at early points in their careers?

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Never has one player gotten more unwarranted hype out of a single 32-point game.

Seriously, Jones is a scrub. He can't shoot, he can't pass, he can't rebound, he's a mediocre defender and he has no BBIQ. OKC spent last year bringing in one guy after another to play SF while Jones languished on the bench after that supposed "breakout" game early in the season.

He's almost certainly not going to play for the C's this year, and he'll probably be out of the league once his rookie contract is up. Forget about him.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
OKC spent last year bringing in one guy after another to play SF while Jones languished on the bench after that supposed "breakout" game early in the season.

Salient point. The Thunder ended up playing Morrow out of position as a backup 3 towards the end of the season because that was an infinitely better option than Jones seeing the court at all.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Never has one player gotten more unwarranted hype out of a single 32-point game.

Seriously, Jones is a scrub. He can't shoot, he can't pass, he can't rebound, he's a mediocre defender and he has no BBIQ. OKC spent last year bringing in one guy after another to play SF while Jones languished on the bench after that supposed "breakout" game early in the season.

He's almost certainly not going to play for the C's this year, and he'll probably be out of the league once his rookie contract is up. Forget about him.

- Mark Twain